Model Cars Magazine Forum

Allison Powered Rat Rod

Joe R.

Hello,I'm a newbie here. I found this site while looking for something else and I'm impressed with the builds. I need to check this place out some more.

I'd like to show off an old build that has been re-done a few times since I was never happy with it. I built it in 1997 and I just restored it this year.

Sorry,I don't have photos of the original build-up.

The chassis and part of the steering and suspension was scratch-built with Evergreen plastic.

The body used to be an AMT 1934 Ford 5 window but it now has a chopped '34 Ford 3 window from the Revell Wheels of Fire '34 Highboy kit.

The Allison V-12 aircraft motor is a Revell Parts Pak kit.

Everything else came from vintage Monogram hot-rod kits like the Green Hornet.

And finally.the paint Is Model Masters Steel Buff with aircraft decals.

The original build was done in less than two days. I already had in mind of what I wanted to build. Thanks for looking.

post-2157-1194189443_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1194189472_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1194189481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe R.

Holy ###### Joe, that is way off the cool meter! :lol:

Is it a curb side?

Because I would love to see how your resolved the connection between the engine and the rest of the drive-line. I built one of these myself many years ago and just might be persuaded to post it.

However, this is not really a "Rat Rod" as you stated. (I suggest you change that) A Rat Rod is a statement more than a trend. It is "anti-billet", "anti-big bucks", "anti-trailered" and generally unsafe at any speed! :lol: :ph34r:

Okay, I will be the first to admit that your car fits all those criteria but it is too clean and too well engineered. I might term it more like a Nostalgia rod or some sort of Period piece rather than a Rat. A Rat is clearly "ratty" like with rusted out floor boards, dangerous engineering, dirt and mismatched panels.

I do not want to end up thrashing you here and sorry if I have, but this is one of my pet peeves and the coffee is talking... :blink:

Welcome to MCM forums!

I love how you think and love your Allison powered street rod!

Please put your name in the signature box above the quote and you will make a great addition to this forum.

:)

About the title, well, it made you look right? :blink:

Actually I wanted to title it Allison Powered Hi Boy but I discovered this site,signed up and posted the photos before leaving the work-site and I wasn't thinking too clearly so I apologize to all the rat rodders and the Rat Rod thing. 'Rat Rod' does get thrown around a lot doesn't it? eBay motors is a good example and it's a pet peeve of mine too.

I built and designed a few rat rods though so I do know about the whole meaning.

About the model,it's not curbside. The engine has a small transmission or special gearbox that connects to the quick change rear banjo.The axle is 'bolted' to the frame.

This is my first scratch-build project and I didn't have anything to go by research wise so I had to wing it.

It's nice to be here. I see Brent is here. He's one of my creative influences along with Custom Mike,if he's a member. Both excellent builders.

And thanks for the compliments. I'll do better on my next project.