Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the very first thing you bought on eBay? And what year?

Tom Geiger

Rich Manson's post on his finally joining eBay got me thinking this would make a cool thread...

My very first purchase was back in 1997. I bought the book "Cars Of The Stars" by George Barris. I had it as a kid, it was one of those Scholastic Book Club books you could buy through school. I bought every book that was automotive related back then!

So I got a replacement book from an eBay seller and I was hooked for life on eBay!

How can you not forget,the piece of toast with the image of Jesus on it.

How can you guys possibly remember what the very first thing you bought on ebay was??? :blink: Seriously. Aside from actually having kept a record, how can you possibly remember? That's like asking if you remember what flavor ice cream your very first cone ever was.

How can you guys possibly remember what the very first thing you bought on ebay was??? :blink: Seriously. Aside from actually having kept a record, how can you possibly remember? That's like asking if you remember what flavor ice cream your very first cone ever was.

No idea..eBay only seems to let you go back 3 years in Purchase History. I can see feedback reviews and item numbers going back to 1997 but not the items.

All I can remember is in 1997 while still at the U of Michigan in grad school I was collecting vintage Hot Wheels and got a number of them from eBay..but I don't remember which ones I bought....no idea how much I've spent on eBay since then...at least 1500 transactions.

Edited by Rob Hall

My first purchase was a set of Fred Cady decals for a '74 Duster. Apparently the seller died during the transaction [seriously]. Didn't get the decals but I did get my money back. :wacko:

I had a buyer die on me once. He paid with a check and I shipped the item quickly. I got it back a week later with 'deceased' written on the box.

I remember my first purchase like it was yesterday. I searched for the book since I had wanted a new copy since my childhood copy had disappeared. I was very excited to get it. And it was very exciting back then to have 'bought something through the computer'. I don't remember what I bought next, but I've bought and sold thousands of items since!

I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday, much less the first thing I ever bought on ebay or when. The fact that some of you guys can remember something like that amazes me.

I cant remember things from last week, let alone what I bought in 2005, I do remember some of the things I bought that year, but they were big ticket items off of Ebay, but thats about it

I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday

I can usually remember what I eat from day to day for a week at most probably...yesterday being Tuesday means my client's corporate cafeteria has Indian food so I had the chicken vindaloo (which was pretty mild, I usually prefer vindaloo super hot and spicy).

Harry, I thought that EVERYONE would be able to remember "their first"...!!! :rolleyes::lol:

According to my feedback my first transaction was dated 20 January 2013. The seller is still active, and his current listings are mostly all models (although not automotive). Back then I was trying to find as many Ford pickup kits as I could so I imagine the first transaction was for one of those. I do remember that for the first few transactions I printed the auction page for some reason, but then stopped.

I've been on ebay since 1999. My first experience was not buying but selling. I remember taking a bunch of models to where I worked and a co-worker shot the pics and I put them up and couldn't believe the prices I got. The models were old original AMT kits, assembled neatly and never painted. I really can't remember the first item(model) I bought.