Model Cars Magazine Forum

diorama garage carpet ideas?

Jeremy Jon

I'm working on a garage diorama, which has carpet laid in part of it, a level-loop or utility type carpet (dark blue)

Flocking I think would look too strong ( fuzzy), and any powder potentially be difficult to make look evenly distributed

I'm considering trying out a construction paper, possibly spray with an artists sealer or dull coat to cover it?

I thought maybe a fabric, but when looking didn't find anything quite right

Looked at felt also, but it's too strong (fuzzy) also

Any other first hand used suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Jeremy Jon

I think you're on to something with the paper. it's going to be buried in other details, and you want it to recede into the background anyway (assumption) unless you're building a carpet showroom.

art supply stores usually have a gazillion different weights & textures of paper. or hobby lobby - Michael's. for small mixed quantities, go to the scrapbook section.

bring weekly coupon & credit card!

That's what I'm thinking might work best too Joe

I could also roughen it up slightly with mild sandpaper - only if necessary

About half the area will be visible in the Dio, so I want it to look presentable & realistic, not just immediately recognized as a just as a of ol' chunk paper

Neat idea Dale, this Dio is an indoor carpet actually, but a good idea for rubberized type floors, one could cut different coloured squares - like black & white - to create that tiled appearance too

True Joe, though more typically used for asphalt but might do the trick, but sprayed with flat drk blue from a mist to form more texture might work, then I will have to protect it with some clear product, maybe artists spray, so keep it from becoming dusty as can be prone to ...I'm going to grab a few items, and test them out each

Material might also work well for indoor/outdoor type carpet. My wife sews a lot so I see all kinds of stuff/patterns textures that might work well for carpet. The tapestry section of a Jo Ann's (thats the sewing/craft shop we have out west here) is a good place to also look. and they also make paints for material so it wont flake off over time.

IMG_2868-vi.jpg

Try doll house carpet. It's available in a number of ways, including on self adhesive sheets. Also check the printables sites, I found this Victorian carpet pattern there and it's printed just on plain paper. It looks great through the windows of the car. Totally convincible as carpet.

Good suggestion Dave, I did stop by briefly the linen store, but couldn't find anything quite exactly right, and then promptly as the old women glaring at me oddly was un-nerving! :o the crushed velvet stuff was just too tall or strong, and the other linens I saw in my short visit have very distinctly their woven patterns ....I will have to go back and look around some more though

Neat photo there Tom, great idea, not sure why I hadn't thought of what doll houses use, I think Michael's crafts should have that!?

I think plain paper would be too flat in the diorama, but being able to print patterns is a cool idea I hadn't thought of either, and I have an 11x17" Epson printer too that would be ideal for that, as the Dio base is about that size area ....maybe I can run the construction paper through the Epson?? as the carpet does have a faint pattern, but I was just going to make it plain dark blue, thinking the pattern duplication to difficult to do

Hmmmmm?!? :)

Agreed Jim, some great ideas!!

I went looking for scale fabric for my camper seats over the summer. I couldn't find anything suitable in Joanns or Michaels. But check the craft aisle in Walmart. They had very small bolts of fabric for 99 cents to be used in crafts and scrap booking. In the same aisle as the pins and other sewing notions.

• 2 weeks later...

The fabric you want to try is Ultrasuede - it has a velvety texture but not a high nap like velvet, and the weave is invisible from the top. Even better, it doesn't unravel when you cut it like velvet does; I used to work with the stuff a lot making Aztec costumes, which have different colors of material layered together and sewn, then the layers cut out to reveal multicolored patterns. You can cut it into intricate shapes with no fraying. Good luck!