Model Cars Magazine Forum

How To Question

Ok so I have a pretty good idea of what i want to do with my AMT Autocar such as strait pipe smoke stacks, modern

wheels/tires and gas tanks <from a peterbilt or kenworth maybe>, then custom steps, tool boxes, and resin rear fenders from brlmodeltruckstop.com, I also want to stretch the frame. I know big dreams for my first model semi

First off, what do yall think of my ideas?

Second, how to stretch the frame , is it hard, and what will i need to do this? will it be string?

Thrid , I know I am information needy, How do yall make smoke stacks I don't want anything fancy just strait up slash cut stacks?

I know I ask alot of question but I appreicate all feedback.

THANKS TREY

To stretch a frame I like to use a second set of rails, move the cross member for the rear suspension to the length you require on the first frame. Than cut the rail on a 45 deg. angle at the center of the cross member, do the same for the extensions and join them using liquid cement. The cross member will reinforce the joint. I also clamp the rails to an aluminum fixture to keep them straight. Any cross member of sufficient size can be used if you can't make the frame long enough using the rear suspension for your seam.

As for stacks, K&S aluminum tubing works great and can be polished using Never Dull wadding. Plastruct has some great plastic tubing and elbows etc. for the rest of the exhaust system ( their site is a pain in the A$$, get a catalog! ). Check with a local welding shop for some 4040 aluminum TIG filler rod, 1/16" makes great grab handles and mirror brackets.

Welcome to the world of model trucks, enjoy!