Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barn Find 56 Chevy diorama - It's finished!

Sixties Sam

Hi, all. A couple years ago a friend gave me this 56 Chevy model he had tried to build years ago as a teenager. I planned to rebuild and repaint it, but it wouldn't come apart (he must have used a whole tube of glue!), so I made it into a junker. I painted the top white, and the body flat black, then rusted it up with rust colored primer and some real rust from a Brillo pad, and smeared a little mud on the wheels, etc. I decided to make a diorama I call "Barn Find" depicting the Chev being winched onto a trailer hooked to a pickup truck behind an old barn where it was found rusting away. The diorama is under construction, and here are a few photos.
The barn wall is black foamboard with wooden coffee stirrers for siding, painted red and scuffed up with coarse sandpaper to look weathered. Roof section is plywood. It will get paper shingles. The base will be 3/4" thick foam with grass, dirt, and gravel on it. The trailer will have a winch and cable pulling the car onto it.

9684057580_0193c3700c_z.jpg

Windows were drawn in CAD and printed on poster board. Framed them with basswood and glued onto the wall. No openings to cut out! Barn wall is 24" long.

9680850459_02e1c849a2_z.jpg

Here's a close up of the barn siding. I'm pleased with the look.

9684057746_b787241ac6_z.jpg

I hope to have it done for a car show later this month. Comments welcome!

Sam

Edited by Sixties Sam

Very nice, Tom. They look real! I did mine today on this barn roof. I cut strips of poster board about 10" long and 3/4" wide, then cut slits every 1/2" to look like shingles. I glued the strips down and overlapped them like you would real shingle tabs. Sprayed them flat black, then a light coat of Rustoleum gray textured paint. The textured paint has white flecks in it. They don't look too bad, I think.

9714873136_73f5321942_z.jpg

It's almost done! Here's a shot of the whole diorama. Gotta make a winch on the trailer, and modify the tongue and add a hitch to the truck.

9728518928_c3d6afd840_z.jpg

Here's the shed area. The roof is aluminum foil, made to look like a standing seam metal roof, then weathered and dented up a bit.

9728519038_26f779db86_z.jpg

I made a jig to emboss the foil to make the seams. It's just two pine blocks, one with a coffee stirrer protruding out about 1/16". and the other with a slot in it.

9728519120_7a0cf82db7_z.jpg

Here it is stamping the foil. Just squeeze it, then index the foil seam to the edge of the block and repeat.

9728519186_e0acc0fc8a_z.jpg

The foil is glued onto the plywood roof with spray adhesive.

Sam

Brad, I brushed green latex house paint on the foam base. While it was wet, I covered it with sawdust from under my table saw. When the paint dried, I shook off the excess sawdust, then spray painted the base with a grass green color of Krylon. The latex paint seals the foam so it isn't dissolved by the solvents in the spray paint. Later, I randomly sprayed some other shades of green and brown on it so it didn't look too perfect. Finally, I sprayed some Elmer's spray glue on some spots, and shook on some model railroad "dense cover" grass, and some gravel (cat litter).

Sam

Well, I'm calling it done! I made a winch for the trailer and hooked it to the Chevy. I added some details like old car parts laying around, and an old thermometer by the door, a pile of firewood, etc. I'll probably add some more details later. I ordered a farmer figure with bib overalls and straw hat to add later. He'll be the guy who sold the Chevy. Please pardon the workbench junk in this pic. I'll get better photos later.

9734965029_cba6749063_z.jpg

9734965477_fe1f650389_z.jpg

The crate filled with parts was made from coffee stirrers and balsa.

9734965481_9447313317_z.jpg

This was an enjoyable build. I hope you like it! Thanks for all the nice compliments so far. They mean a lot!

Sam

Edited by Sixties Sam