Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Ford Sunliner Mild Custom! DONE 10/25/15!

John Goschke

• 1 month later...

Somehow I thought this was going to done sooner than this, but anyway, I finally managed to finish the Sunliner's interior, wrestling with Essential Tremor frequently while working. Going to have to change my building style to get the Fun vs. Frustration Quotient back in proportion.

The interior on this mild custom is stock except for chrome garnish moldings. Mods to the kit part includes side panels from Revell Skyliner. Revell Skyliner steering wheel on AMT '57 Ford column with scratch shifter and signal lever. Heater, radio, and clock from Revell Skyliner notched into AMT dash. Window cranks replaced with the scratch power window switches. Stretched sprue lock knobs.

SunlinerInter2.thumb.jpg.f0a05500c0f37c9SunlinerInter3.thumb.jpg.7b94ae278512815SunlinerInter4.thumb.jpg.7a47b8da80ffbb2SunlinerInter5.thumb.jpg.f41b7e01b8a233dSunlinerInter6.thumb.jpg.ba40e28d5a8c93dSunlinerInter7.thumb.jpg.bbc16e7ceeeeeb8

• 1 month later...

Finally got the paint done on the Sunliner. Still needs to be polished out.

Thinking that the owner of this mild custom Ford had a limited budget for paint so after the handles and emblems were shaved he had the factory paint spotted in and, inspired by California cars, had his painter do some simple outlines and scallops in silver.

Looking forward to completion soon!

59Ford.paint.1.thumb.jpg.133c1e5c8f7995459Ford.paint.2.thumb.jpg.380719f0a1f57fc59Ford.paint.4.thumb.jpg.3dc5e7e8650763559Ford.paint.5.thumb.jpg.4a44b87be23378e59Ford.paint.6.thumb.jpg.0becea447d24de2

Very nice John!

You know, I've never been much into customs, but I've always liked this 60s style mild look.

I love the look of most cars just the way they came from the factory, & the addition of a few scallops & maybe a few other touches only enhances that.

It doesn't detract from the cars original lines.

Something period & basic for the wheels I'm hoping?

Please, no giant chrome "hoops". ;)

Steve

Very nice John!

You know, I've never been much into customs, but I've always liked this 60s style mild look.

I love the look of most cars just the way they came from the factory, & the addition of a few scallops & maybe a few other touches only enhances that.

It doesn't detract from the cars original lines.

Something period & basic for the wheels I'm hoping?

Please, no giant chrome "hoops". ;)

Steve

Thanks for the comments, guys! I really appreciate them.

Not to worry about the wheel/tire combo, Steve! That's been locked in for 4 1/2 years! Traditional red rims with 2 1/2 whitewalls and '54-'55 Olds Fiesta-style wheelcovers. These would have to have been one of many aftermarket copies, from Western Auto or J.C. Whitney, since the Ford used 14" wheels and the Olds used 15". More often than not, it's period-correct wheels and tires, then the stance, that inspire my builds. To my mind, good customs, mild or wild, should enhance, refine or develop the original car design.

59FordTaillights2-vi.thumb.jpg.96d950d0a

Thanks for the comments, guys! I really appreciate them.

Not to worry about the wheel/tire combo, Steve! That's been locked in for 4 1/2 years! Traditional red rims with 2 1/2 whitewalls and '54-'55 Olds Fiesta-style wheelcovers. These would have to have been one of many aftermarket copies, from Western Auto or J.C. Whitney, since the Ford used 14" wheels and the Olds used 15". More often than not, it's period-correct wheels and tires, then the stance, that inspire my builds. To my mind, good customs, mild or wild, should enhance, refine or develop the original car design.

59FordTaillights2-vi.thumb.jpg.96d950d0a

Perfect!

Nothing kills a classic design like a set of ugly modern wheels!

Just my opinion. ;)

Steve