Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone have pics of a built amt chevy bel air 409 ?

ERIK88

I'm interested in this one too, since its the current model that I have on the bench.

The "other magazine" whose name shall not be uttered had a couple of good articles

On the '62 Belair, October '94 and Pat Covert did a three part series in April thru June '95

Building a custom Bubble Top called Bubbles.

Oops I was wrong on the Pat Covert article issues, issues 95 thru 97, February, April, June '95. (Come to think of it I might have issues myself!)

Edited by Skip

Just to clarify, do you want pictures of the 409 engine, or pictures of the built '62 Bel Air bubble top? I can't provide photos, but I've built one of the stock '62, and one of the Hayden Proffitt super stocker, and both came out to my satisfaction...one of AMT's better creations.

That's a really nice bel air ;) thanks for sharing your pic.

I've posted this one elsewhere, recently, but here's my interpretation of that great kit:

62-Bel-Air.jpg

love the weathering , really convincing.

Just to clarify, do you want pictures of the 409 engine, or pictures of the built '62 Bel Air bubble top? I can't provide photos, but I've built one of the stock '62, and one of the Hayden Proffitt super stocker, and both came out to my satisfaction...one of AMT's better creations.

well i originally wanted pictures of the model as a whole, built. But the recent engine pics have provided some reference for me to go off by as well. Either way , is fine ;)

Here's one I did a few months ago. Not my best work. The paint was a very old spray can, and came out sort of lumpy, but I was tired of messing with it, so I left it alone.

8662720893_a1bce8078b_z.jpg

It still looks nice and I actually want to do a red with the rims or hubcaps outlined in red like you have done with the blue. How did you achieve that if you do not mind me asking? Im sure I can find a way, but If there are shortcuts, that would be nice. I have never done that.

Edited by ERIK88

If you build it the way you intend, you might want to check out the hub caps in the Revell '62 Impala. They seem to be smaller, and a better scale fit on the AMT wheels than the ones that come with the AMT kit.

Oh ok thanks for the heads up ;) . Yea i intend to build one stock, one lowrider, and one muscle.

Oh ok thanks for the heads up ;) . Yea i intend to build one stock, one lowrider, and one muscle.

I really like the stock look of these though. Specially in gloss red.

I haven't built the Bel Air kit yet, but I have built some W-Blocks and have some in progress...

This one is from Revell '62 Impala kit.

DSCN0263.jpg

This is AMT Engine, but I don't know where it is from.

DSCN5199_zps0e5a3ed7.jpg

Then another AMT 409 with Cragar Blower.

DSCN1136.jpg

It still looks nice and I actually want to do a red with the rims or hubcaps outlined in red like you have done with the blue. How did you achieve that if you do not mind me asking? Im sure I can find a way, but If there are shortcuts, that would be nice. I have never done that.

I just painted the rims blue. On models with the rims and wheel covers molded in one piece, I spray some body color paint in a bottle cap or pudding cup and use a small brush to paint the outer part of the rim. It's pretty easy.

I see varied colors on the valve covers, can someone tell me what color they used and what color a factory Z/11 should be? I also hear that the kit interior is incorrect for a Z/11 car, is this true? I think MCW has the proper interior. would it be worth it to buy it?