couple of painting Q's

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

since I haven't built anything in forever, may I ask how you all paint your chassis assemblies? back in the day, i'd paint all parts on the tree, then assemble and touch up. is it feasible, or easier to assemble then paint? and add little paint details after?

also, [thinking way ahead here], what is the best way to do stripes on a truck and trailer so they have a matched continuous line? as I assume the trailer sides would be painted before assembly, or no?

and finally, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot

thanks,

~tom

Edited by tbill

Posted · Report post

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion it is much easier to assemble as far as you can and then paint. For example, assemble the chassis with all its assemblies and accessories and then paint. Of course chrome parts sush as fuel tanks toolboxes etc, should be fitted later. Then assemble the engine, then the cab.

Don't forget to take your time with your models, its not a race, you doing it for plesure and join.

Remember always test fit, test fit, test fit, then test fit and then glue the parts together.

Kostas.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the welcome, and the info.

Any input on the striping question?

I just got the rest of my trucks and trailers in the mail, and now it's idea/planning time :)

Posted · Report post

for the striping do a complete mock up of your unit,mark out where the stripes are to go measure everything and repeat for the other side make sure you use painters tape for easy removal also wash with soap and water sand with 800 grit paper and prime then do your artwork and painting.Just remember as Kostas said take your time and enjoy

Posted · Report post

thanks, I sorta figured that's how it would go, but thought i'd ask anyway, learning a lot around here.