Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Cord 812 Supercharged Westchester Sedan

Dr Plastic

This is my 2 year labor of love. It is a resin conversion by Bob Shelton, of the venerable Monogram Cord 812 Phaeton Sedan into an 812 Supercharged Westchester sedan. It is painted with Tamiya Maroon under 5 coats of Testors Ultra gloss lacquer that has been sanded, buffed and waxed. virtually every part has been massaged or rebuilt to improve detail and finish. The engine and transmission is fully plumbed to include the vacuum shifting system.
P9070045-vi.jpg
P9070056-vi.jpg
P9070057-vi.jpg
P9070055-vi.jpg

P9070058-vi.jpg
P9070059-vi.jpg

P9070062-vi.jpg

P9070063-vi.jpg
IMG_20130821_120252_575-vi.jpg
IMG_20130821_120446_372-vi.jpg

More in-progress pics may be viewed here: http://public.fotki.com/ScottABregi/my_modeling_projects/37-cord-812-sueperc/

For your video pleasure here is a link to this same car that is owned by Jay Leno! http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/cord/1937-cord-812-westchester/index.shtml#item=115864

Edited by Dr Plastic

A spectacular piece of work, gorgeous from any angle. I believe the resin body was created by our fellow member, Art Anderson, who did a wonderful job with it. The Monogram kit is not a 2-seater Sportsman but a Phaeton with a back seat, and I just received this 1965 kit yesterday, which I will use as reference for converting the AMT 1/12 Sportsman into a phaeton. The details on the 1/24 kit are so tiny, I don't know how anyone can finish it properly.

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks Guys......

The body was done by Bob Shelton. I picked it up at the NNL East show in 2012. He has since revised the tooling to include the door handles and includes the windshield wipers. I picked up one of his first production runs and had to add the handles from my spares and scratch-build the wipers. I spent months massaging and redoing areas like door lines and the entire cowl. He does eight different versions. he can be reached at: thedirectory@cinci.rr.com

Edited by Dr Plastic