Model Cars Magazine Forum

I built a model car!

Dave Van

I have been on a bit of a dry spell. Last car model was Feb maybe. Been building some model train stuff....but I had NO desire to build anything automotive at all. Been doing work for some model companies and was jusr burned out.

But caught the film Matrix Reloaded the other day. One of the best car chases of all time. Reminded me I had a Revell Caddilac STS kit set aside for this movie.
DSCN0896-vi.jpg
A long time back I had found a set of wheels and tires close to stock to replace the masive kit wheels. So other than that I had not done anything. First thing I did was glue the doors closed. I have altered them in the past to open regular style....but wanted a better fit. Sheet stock of .010 was used in the door frames to bring the doors out for a good fit.
DSCN0897-vi.jpg
The kit is box stock other than the toy wheels. A really nice kit when you look at it.....under rated in my opinion. Nice interior and the chassis is great if very simple.....
DSCN0898-vi.jpg
The chassis was painted hot rod primer and weatherd with various metallics and blacks.
DSCN0899-vi.jpg
I did leave the opening hood and trunk as is because the fit pretty well....and the 3 part engine by is simple...but looks like the real car so I'm OK!!
DSCN0900-vi.jpg
This was a perfect kit for me. Get back building, a car that we don't get many kits of (full size American) and a movie car....my favorite category!
DSCN0901-vi.jpg
A really nice and overlooked kit. Revell could tool up stock wheels, add door handles (I just made some) and they'd have a nice kit.....but those big wheels!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks for looking!!

The subject doesn't fit into my biggest interests, but you definitely did a great job on this. It looks very good, nice and clean assembly and paint all over.

But those wheel wells are Huge!

I think Revell did a pretty good job on the body accuracy. A few items were not engraved as it was a 'custom' Caddy....but overall good reproducton.

CADDYCOMP-vi.jpg

If they wanted this to be a "serious" kit they would have axed those huge, toylike dogleg hood hinges and done something about the way the taillight lenses attach with those giant and very non-prototypical pins that are very visible. But you did a nice job considering what you had to work with and the fact that you decided to build it pretty much out of the box.

If they wanted this to be a "serious" kit they would have axed those huge, toylike dogleg hood hinges and done something about the way the taillight lenses attach with those giant and very non-prototypical pins that are very visible. But you did a nice job considering what you had to work with and the fact that you decided to build it pretty much out of the box.

Agreed....but I think it was more....'what do we do with these molds we cut??' In an attempt to get back SOME of their investment they converted to plastic and released them. I'm still happy they did....warts and all. Thx