Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Oldsmobile - Finished -- Class of '56 -- Entry #4

Ramfins59

I finished this up this afternoon. As I stated in the WIP thread, the inspiration for this build came from this picture I found when I Googled reference pictures...

0603_rodp_01_z0603rc_1956_oldsmobile_88f

The model is an old Johan promo that I picked up at a show many years ago. It was painted a horrible raspberry color and the names and badging had been sanded off. I painted it with Black Gold's Silverwhite Pearl and Duplicolor Storm Gray Metallic, with a Duplicolor acrylic clearcoat and polished. The grille was given a blackwash and clear headlight lenses were glued to the chrome promo headlights to look better. Over time I lost the promo chassis and found a chassis that fit the body in my parts stash that I had to lengthen by about a half inch to get the wheelbase right. The halibrand wheels and big n' little tires are also from the stash. The taillights were detailed with BMF and the bullet backup light lenses are from the Revell chopped '49 Merc kit. I used the green promo glass which I polished as I couldn't find any clear glass in my stash that would fit, and, I just didn't feel like making my own glass from clear acetate. I don't think that the green glass looks all that bad on this car.

56OLDSMOBILEFINISHED11024x761_zps185ec0a

56OLDSMOBILEFINISHED21024x755_zps35bc243

56OLDSMOBILEFINISHED31024x707_zps5bbf54e

56OLDSMOBILEFINISHED41024x748_zps9f42741

56OLDSMOBILEFINISHED51024x733_zpsff5b878

As I stated in the WIP thread, the interior is a resin piece from Modelhaus. The carpet was flocked in black and the seats and side panels were painted in shades of gray and black. I added chrome strips to the side panels and drilled holes for resin cranks and handles from ReplMinCoMD which I painted chrome silver. I added gas and brake pedals as there were none. The dash is painted black and detailed with BMF and a superfine point black artists pen. The shifter and turn signal lever are pieces of shirt pins.

Oh......and Harry...... I screwed up on this one...... I totally forgot to install an interior rear view mirror. I tried 3 times to add one after the car was completed but was unsuccessful in getting it to stay in place.

56OLDSMOBILEINTERIOR11024x763_zps9207652

56OLDSMOBILEINTERIOR31024x742_zps1bd36ec

Thanks for looking in on this build. All comments are welcomed, good or bad. Now on to the next one.

Edited by Ramfins59

Thanks a lot guys.

James, I'll try for some outside shots as long as it's a nice day... If I get down and lay on the ground I may not be able to get this old body up on its feet again,,LOL.

Jeff, I will definitely be at the Castle Shannon 3 Rivers Show but I don't know if I'll bring this car. I have plenty of others to bring.

Terry, those exhaust tips are molded on to the promo's rear bumper.

Rich...we need request some "sunshine" pixs.

Yeah the neighbors will probably wonder what you're up to

laying on the ground with a camera.

At my old house I used to take my pictures in my front garden. The neighbors used to watch me with suspicion. Then the nosy lady next door came over and asked what I was doing. At that time I was taking an eBay photo of a model I was going to sell, so I told her that. By week's end everyone on the block thought I was a rich eBay tycoon and I stopped getting funny looks. :rolleyes:

James, I'll try for some outside shots as long as it's a nice day... If I get down and lay on the ground I may not be able to get this old body up on its feet again,,LOL.

Jeff, I will definitely be at the Castle Shannon 3 Rivers Show but I don't know if I'll bring this car. I have plenty of others to bring.

Very nice work Rich! And we'll need a group photo of the entire Class of '56! And I'd bring them to the show that way too!

And what's up next? Maybe a '56 Nomad????

Hey Tom, thanks a lot. I will eventually be taking a group pic of the "Class of '56". So far it only has 4 graduates.

Actually Tom, I do have a '56 Nomad that I started work on almost 6 months ago. I completely finished the engine and chassis but I couldn't decide on a color scheme for the car that would look good with the gold wire wheels that I put on it. It went back in the box until I could decide on a color scheme. This past weekend I was watching Fast & Loud on Velocity Channel and the guys at Gas Monkey Garage did up a '56 Nomad for Dale Earnhardt Jr. that really blew me away. They painted it a really bright light green color with silver (Mountain Dew colors). I think I will paint my model in those colors using Tamiya's Light Green, and Duplicolor Light Slate Metallic. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a complimentary color scheme for the interior.

I've also got the '58 Dodge promo that I won on EBAY to add to the "Class of '58". I won't be starting work on that though until I get some parts from Modelhaus for it.

Actually Tom, I do have a '56 Nomad that I started work on almost 6 months ago. I completely finished the engine and chassis but I couldn't decide on a color scheme for the car that would look good with the gold wire wheels that I put on it. It went back in the box until I could decide on a color scheme. This past weekend I was watching Fast & Loud on Velocity Channel and the guys at Gas Monkey Garage did up a '56 Nomad for Dale Earnhardt Jr. that really blew me away. They painted it a really bright light green color with silver (Mountain Dew colors). I think I will paint my model in those colors using Tamiya's Light Green, and Duplicolor Light Slate Metallic. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a complimentary color scheme for the interior.

I saw that episode Rich! I liked the Nomad before they touched it. It was a nice original red and white car. But I can understand the interest in the 'new and improved' version. I understand that Mountain Dew will be giving that one away.