Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

My dad had a grabber blue 71 gt. Hideaways, louvers, caps and rings, Cleveland and a 4 Spd. Loved that car when I was a kid. He also had a dark ivy green 70 cobra. Bench seat 429 4 Spd. No wonder I love torinos. I am in the process of trying to buy the cobra back. One of dads friends has it

If everyone involved will allow me, to get this build started I would like to do the parts prep.

Done. Andrew will start prepping the parts, and I will ship the engine parts to Fred so he can work on the engine.

Fred, PM me your address, please.

If anyone would or wouldn't like their parts primed please let me know. Primer would be shot with an airbrush if that would alter any decisions and it will most likely be Model Master. The body will remain a "body in white" as I believe that is part of bodywork. Any other special requests with your part of the build will be discussed and done to the best of my ability.

Casey, what portion of the build do you want to do?

Hadn't really thought about it, but I'll do whatever is necessary to keep the project moving.

I am going to send the bulk of the parts to Andrew and the engine parts to Fred at week's and, so we should start discussing how we want the engine built.

The engine parts are on their way to Fred in Canada, and the rest of the parts are headed a bit north of here to Andrew. We should start discussing how we want to "build" the engine so Fred knows which direction to go. I am fine with letting Fred decide how it should be built, as I have no strong feelings about the engine one way or another, and I don't get the feeling he's going to add the triple blowers from one of the MPC show rod kits. :huh: Headers or exhaust manifolds will probably be the main decision, and will likely affect how the exhaust is handled, too...so my vote is to used the headers.

I added some Revell lo-pro tires and a few other wheel parts to the box, so that will at least give us some options.

We discuss paint color(s), interior colors (unless Jeff already has something in mind?), and any other ideas or things you'd like to see happen-- wheels and tires, lowering, custom exhaust, etc.

Good news, everyone! The kit, minus the engine, arrived today without any issues. For the most part everything was already bagged by Casey into the sections of the build. I grabbed one of unbagged trees and started to work. The radiator and fan shroud are just about finished so there's pics of them and the tree they were removed from, and the model box. If you see room for improvement feel free to chime in at any time. It took me about 2 hours, seriously, to be happy with the results with those 2 pieces (and I see in my pictures now that the cap and shroud could use more work) which means I'll be putting most of my free time to get this thing ready to ship to Canada as soon as possible and keep this moving along.

So there it is folks. The build has begun.

Box28599-vi.jpg

First8602-vi.jpg

RadiatorFanShroud-vi.jpg

Looks good so far, Andro. I was wondering what that ramp shaped piece was as I was removing a few parts, but saw it was supposed to attach the the radiator support on the instruction sheet.

I was letting that part simmer in my mind since it came out of the box. It's a piece that adds a lot of realism in my opinion.

I did more work on the shroud and radiator. Finished both sideview mirrors, radiator support & crossmember, and the hood latch support brace. I've scribed in some more detail on the horns since the snails were cast quite shallow.

Cleanup is going well. There's a lot of oddly molded parts so it's going a bit slower than I would like it to. I finished the parts mentioned above and have gone on to work on interior pieces. The tub (more or less a tray), rear seat, seat backs and fronts along with the interior side panels are 90% finished. A little more filler and sanding/scuffing is in order. I put a before and after shot of one of the interior panels showing a little work done to the lines that were a bit vague.

Finished:

FinishedParts1-vi.jpg

Before:

DriversInteriorPanel8627-vi.jpg

After:

DriversInteriorPanel28646-vi.jpg

I have a question for the group. After looking at the door panels I notice that there would be several places where BMF would/could be used. Since I will be doing the BMF on this build, how should we handle that? I'm not sure who will be doing the interior assembly. Will they be doing the interior BMF or should they leave the door panels separate so that I could BMF them before attaching them. I'm to just talking about the door and window handles, it looks like the padded area of the "spear" has a chrome strip around it, same for the rectangular area of the rear section of the side panel. Let's work out who will be dong that and if the door panels should be attached or not.

Here are all the wheels that were in the box. The wheels in white (8 wheels) that Casey threw in look great on this car and can be mounted as shallow or deep dish. It's hard to tell in the pics but the rears are deep and the fronts are shallow. Is everyone in agreement that these will be used? If not I need to know which ones will. I can take more pictures if it's necessary to make a decision.

wheels8648-vi.jpg

WheelsOn8649-vi.jpg

WheelsOn38651-vi.jpg

WheelsOn28653-vi.jpg

Chrome parts: outer door handles, license plate, exhaust tips, 429 emblems, shifter, rearview mirror, sideview mirror inserts, bumpers, grill, taillight bezel. If any of these are your parts and you'd like the chrome stripped let me know.

Fred, I have a breather for the valve cover if you want it (the one from the kit).

Edited by LokisTyro

I have a question for the group. After looking at the door panels I notice that there would be several places where BMF would/could be used. Since I will be doing the BMF on this build, how should we handle that? I'm not sure who will be doing the interior assembly. Will they be doing the interior BMF or should they leave the door panels separate so that I could BMF them before attaching them. I'm to just talking about the door and window handles, it looks like the padded area of the "spear" has a chrome strip around it, same for the rectangular area of the rear section of the side panel. Let's work out who will be dong that and if the door panels should be attached or not.

I'll be doing the interior Ron. I can do the necessary BMF there. That way I can do the door panels lying flat before assembling the whole thing.

Nice work so far Andrew! B)

Oh, I really like the extra rims that Casey sent in the mock up, but I prefer some shiny on my wheels. At least the hoops anyway! They could either be alcladed, sleeved with aluminum, or sent out for plating? I do have a bunch of stuff about ready for the plater, I could send them along too if we decide to go that route...

Best pic I could find of a 1:1 :(

rdoorpnl.jpg

Edited by jeffs396

I have a couple thoughts, on the wheels, shiny hoop/ gunmetal centers. The door panels on gt cars have woodgrain which is a decal in the kit. How about carbon fiber decal there jeff? I like that stance but it's hard to get on this front suspension so be prepared for that. I will also need to know the measurement from floor to ground in engine bay so I know headers will fit. As for breathers, I plan on making something cool for that : )

I have a question for the group. After looking at the door panels I notice that there would be several places where BMF would/could be used. Since I will be doing the BMF on this build, how should we handle that? I'm not sure who will be doing the interior assembly. Will they be doing the interior BMF or should they leave the door panels separate so that I could BMF them before attaching them.

I think Jeff, who is doing the interior, will take care of any interior related BMFing which needs to be done since it'll be very minor. That way, he can complete the interior and send it along to the next builder.

I thought the larger lo pro tires from some Revell kits would be a good size for a car his bulky, so whatever you guys like as far as wheels and tires, I am good with, as I don't have strong feelings one way or another.

Nice work so far, Andrew.