Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

I'm thinking of starting another community build in which each participant takes a turn working on the project, passes it on to the next person, and so on, until the project is complete.

I've got a new Monogram 1/25 Pro Modeler '70 Ford Torino GT kit I will donate to get the project rolling:

d7523dcc-12f0-4f6f-9efd-076df7e0a3de.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking....

1) Six people will participate, with each person having the model for slightly less than one month. This should help us finish the project in a year or so. To ensure there are no shipping delays, we'll try to keep this one limited to U.S. members only, but if we can make it work we'll include Canadians, too.

2) The model will be shipped (and the tracking info posted) to the next participant the first business day of each new month via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking. I will send the model in a USPS supplied Priority Mail box, so we should be able re-use the box every time the project is shipped to the next participant. Each participant is responsible for paying the USPS Priority Mail shipping cost and ensuring the package is mailed on the first business day of each month. If you cannot abide by this rule, please don't volunteer to participate.

3) Each person volunteers to work on an area of the car they feel is their strong suit. If you don't have a particular area you feel you are best at, we'll work out a solution. We can decide the breakdown later, but roughly for now:

Basic parts prep -- LokisTyro (Andrew F)

Engine and trans -- freakshow12 (Fred M)

Chassis, suspension, and exhaust -- carlosmtg (Carlos)

Interior -- jeffs396 (Jeff S.)

Body and paintwork -- BKcustoms (Billy K)

Body Bare Metal Foil application, decals, and final assembly -- slantasaurus (Ron W.)

4) I'd like to keep this build in the mostly stock realm, with maybe a few street machine or drag parts thrown in. No Pro Touring, tube chassis, radical bodywork, multi-color custom paint, etc. for this build. We'll try to keep it simple and straightforward to keep the project moving along, and also to ensure no one participant ends up with too much work on their plate. Aftermarket wheels and tires, a tunnel ram with dual quads and venturi stacks, maybe a dash mounted tach and four point rollbar, are some ideas for smaller additions which won't require a ton of extra work nor time.

I realize describing exactly how this build should progress is a bit of a fool's folly, so we'll allow each participant some leeway to add a small personal touch or detail without the need to worry about anyone taking the project too far off course. I'd also like to see/hear the ideas each builder may have when it's their turn discussed, both to keep every build participant involved and to help ensure everyone's ideas will work together in the best possible way. Each person participating will help determine the colors, etc. used on this project, so everyone participating has a say in how the build progresses and is finished.

5) You must take and post some nice, clear pics of the progress, and post at least one update if you participate. The more pics and updates, the better. The goal is to share what you're doing with the other build participants, as well as your fellow forum members, so please, share when it's your turn.

6) You may need to donate parts out of your own stash for this project if you decide to add something which is not kit stock. I'm sure the other build participants can chip in a needed part or two, but no one person should need to contribute more than a handful of parts. I will try to provide all the needed parts and ship them to the current or next builder, too.

7) You will be need to supply all needed supplies (glue, paint, BMF) and tools when it's your turn, but we shouldn't need much more than the basics this time. Spark plug wiring, embossing powder, Bare Metal Foil-- all must be supplied by you if they are needed when it's your turn, so figure that in, too. Again, I will contribute as much as I can in terms of "extras," and hopefully anyone else who participates will be willing to throw in a set of tires or slapper bars if needed for the build.

8) What did I leave out? Probably a few things, so if you're interested in participating, discuss please. If you're already sold on participating, simply state so and I will add you to the potential participant list.

One suggestion I would make Casey is instead of sending the whole kit to each participant, send only the assembly that they'll be working on. Maybe then, you won't have people hanging on to it for months to years like what has happened with both of the Snowball projects. Good Luck!!

One suggestion I would make Casey is instead of sending the whole kit to each participant, send only the assembly that they'll be working on.

I thought about that, but they builder might need the engine for test fitting the exhaust system-to-engine connection, etc. I think if we keep each "step" reasonable in size, it can get done in a year, and a month should be enough time for each participant to complete their task.

Cool idea Casey. I would be interested in being part of this build, I like to BMF whereas most modelers on the forum seem to complain about having to do that part of the build. The only real question is where does the model go when its finished ? Will it be displayed at any contests ? Maybe donated to the Model Car Museum in Salt Lake City ?

I wish this could come north of the border for me to build a perfect stock 429 cj for it. I have built several of these and have a few 1:1s to look at near me. I recently did a paint daub/ chalmark resto type twister special that won some trophys. Have fun with this one guys.

OR. I could assemble an engine out of my stash and send it down if you were willing to send me the kit engine later...

Cool idea Casey. I would be interested in being part of this build, I like to BMF whereas most modelers on the forum seem to complain about having to do that part of the build. The only real question is where does the model go when its finished ? Will it be displayed at any contests ? Maybe donated to the Model Car Museum in Salt Lake City ?

I was trying to think of what would happen to the build once it was completed, too, but...I got nuthin'. :unsure: I guess that's something we can discuss.

I'd like to do the interior please B)

How do we come up with the color scheme, a poll maybe?

Done.

That would probably work. I think once we get the group lined up, we can try to make a few decisions regarding color, options, etc.

What Jeff posted is similar to what I was thinking- mostly stock appearing with some bolt-on upgrades, but I do like the stock stripes (and this kit includes them in three or four different colors), so maybe we could still use them. Once we get a few more people on board, we'll start to decide on color, wheels and tires, etc.

in my club[Cincinnati Auto Replicas] when we were 'doing' group build, we'd go by the direction sheets..ie: engine, chassis, interior and body...

make copies of particular sections and include the parts that are only related to your 'choice'...

we weren't supposed to 'talk to each other', but, I had to let the engine guy know I was making 'dumps' for the exhaust and running the cheater slicks and scratched some traction bars, kind of a weekend dragger thing...

ours, 1966 Charger, came out excellent...nice green/black two tone paint, white pearl interior, Hemi of course, and the excellent chassis!![MY part!]

at the end of the year we would 'bid' on all the projects we had done over that year!! I ended up with the Charger for the princely sum of $20!!

I could see the red one with the laser stripe in red/orange/yellow.

I tend to gravitate toward red, yellow, orange or white, so any of those would work for me, too.

That said, this avocado green Pro Touring car look nice, too. ^_^

1012phr_09_o%20goodguys_nats_in_columbus