Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Lincoln

peekay

I LOVE it! As those Continentals were one step short of bespoke, that color is quite possible, whether "correct" or not, although it's pretty close to the second iteration of Darian Blue. http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1941-Lincoln-pg01.jpg

It's builds like this that make the hobby shine.

Charlie Larkin

Factory stock with a lot of custom looking touches..

I see with my little eye...

i.e. deleted running boards...pan cake hood

section body( raised fenders) and of course the push button on the door.

Gorgeous Lincoln btw

Not a custom at all!

That's exactly how they came from the factory.

Read here: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Lincoln/1941_Lincoln/1941_Lincoln_Zephyr_Brochure/1941%20Lincoln-08.html

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for your kind comments everyone, very much appreciated.

Charlie, thanks so much for pointing me to that chart - looks like I'm as close to a factory colour as I would have got had I been trying! I painted that one 25 years ago when I was just getting back into the hobby and there wasn't the internet for easy research.

Color not withstandig, that is one beautiful paint job.

I picked one of these up at a show a couple of years ago for $5.00. If I can come anywhere close to these results with it I'll consider it money well spent.

Edited by Shardik

I've never built one, but it's on my bucket list - what are the problems I need to watch out for?

Factory or not, I love that shade of blue!

I understand the chassis can be a bit fiddly. I have mine downstairs that I plan to do sometime sooner rather than later, and I'll let you know.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys. Yes it's a great old kit, compares well to anything today.

Paint is my own colour mix using Standox automotive base and clearcoat. I'm afraid I'm not overly fussy about factory-correct colours.

They could be ordered in any color you wanted. They did have some standrad colors but like any true classic car they were built to order. Your color choice is not only beautiful but it is totally correct then!

Looks beautiful, love the color! Excellent dashboard too.

I've never built one, but it's on my bucket list - what are the problems I need to watch out for?

Factory or not, I love that shade of blue!

I just peeked in the box of my kit and I'm not impressed by the V12 engine. It doesn't compare favorably to the engines in other cars from this series (Bugatti 35B, Duesenberg SJ, etc.) The engine is similar to a Ford Flathead V8 and AMT did a much better design! The problem is that the intake manifold, carb, and air cleaner are all molded as part of the engine halves and thus there's a seam right down the center, splitting all those little parts. The battle ship piece from a Monopoly game would look better.

Edited by Neil Bass

• 4 months later...

I like it. It's nice to see one of these Monogram classics finished.

I've had this kit off and on the work bench for quite a few months. At the moment I've stalled at trying to do the woodgrain on the dash and doing the detailing in the engine bay which seems to be the weakest area of the kit. I'm determined to finish it sometime this year.