Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Jaguar XJR-9 Le Mans

Wendall

I used to build model cars as a teenager but this is my first build for about 12 years. The skills are a little rusty and I haven't kept any of my old builds so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm reasonably pleased with it and I learned a lot. I'm trying to make every build better and more detailed than the last and I'm getting loads of tips and ideas around here so thanks guys :D.

So here it is, the Le Mans winning Jaguar XJR-9. Any comments or criticisms most welcome.

Thanks for looking

J

post-12427-0-07117400-1378996660_thumb.j

post-12427-0-26464000-1378996677_thumb.j

post-12427-0-54343100-1378996687_thumb.j

If that's the results you get with rusty skills, I'd hate to see what you get with clean, sharp skills. The decal work can not have been easy yet it looks like everything is in its right place. Did you do any polishing after the clear coat? Are all the decals under clear coat? Your panel-line accenting looks just right. How'd you do that?

Thanks for the great comments Guys, much appreciated!

If that's the results you get with rusty skills, I'd hate to see what you get with clean, sharp skills. The decal work can not have been easy yet it looks like everything is in its right place. Did you do any polishing after the clear coat? Are all the decals under clear coat? Your panel-line accenting looks just right. How'd you do that?

Hi Curtis!

The decals were a mammoth challenge for me, Nearly ended up in the bin on one occasion (temper, temper) when they were all on I clear coated over them. I then wet flatted the clear coat using micromesh and polished it back up to a shine. The panel lines are a very thin light grey wash, just load up a very fine brush and let capillary action do the rest.

Cheers

J

You know, after a lapse of that many years, sometimes it takes a while before you get back to your previous skill level. In the meantime, I'd suggest you hang out here and see what you can learn.

Oh, who am I kidding. That old Jag is drop-dead gorgeous. Paint, decals, attention to detail and assembly techniques are all first rate. I hope you'll favor us with more of your work as soon as possible.

I am again WOWED by something I would not normally stop through the posts to see if it were not for shear boredom and being 3 AM. This is truly a beautiful build by someone who has not built for awhile. I am 55 and packed my old original built models around for many, many years. I really loved building models when I was a young boy. In 2005 I sold them all on Ebay and I regret doing so. I have collected them mostly all back and then some. Eveyday I would drive buy a store called THE HOBBY LOBBY. Not the big box store name but a name that was a long lasting family started store here in Arizona. After having sold my models I stopped and found a business card fot the Cactus Car Model Club and ended up joining. I soon found myself absolutely fascinated with resin casting. I just could not stop thinking about how cool it would be to do it. I had remembered seeing resin items as a young man when I lived near Webers Hobby shop in Lafayette, Indiana. Webers was only a name to me at that time and a great place to get kits when they were a meer three bucks. One day I went there I think in 1975 and it had become The Model Maker. I was really kind of surprised of the name change but was glad it was still a hobby shop. Inside in glass cases were models so nicely built and detailed I was in absolute AWE! Keys in ignitions and pinstriped dashes and wiring harnesses and plumbing all so accurately detailed. I was a know nothing farm kid and I was just beside myself. I knew I would not be able to achieve this level of detail that I had never thought to add to a model on my own. I found myself somewhat devastated and quit building models. I was not even aware of who Art Anderson was until moving here to Arizona and joining the two valley model clubs. The guys would mention ALL AMERICAN MODELS and Lafayette Indinana in the same sentence. And I said, "Hey, I am from that area!" They would ask questions but I was a kid then and lived 30 miles away on a small farm. I really knew nothing about Art or the hobby shop. I do remember that the store moved to a Teal road location. Thank's for the memories, Art. Anyway, Jason, If you can do this you really might like resin casting. It does have a learning curve and I forget that It might be a huge advantage that I live in a low humidity area too. Where was I going with all this post? I have no idea. I just started hunting and pecking to form words. I really like seing the color detail on the exhaust pipes.