Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Mercedes Benz 500K, Johan

peekay

Here's another one I finished last year, quite an impressive kit for it's time but somewhat confusing if you try following the instructions. I bought this one on Ebay with a painted body, a bit of a risk but with some polish it came out quite nicely.

0390a97d9244d3caab_zps3xx4mo6s-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

b087131a1c4abb1808_zpszp2ykp5g-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

07818a5204602bcf2b_zpsuxcebt7z-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

07b3583b8a9e880901_zpszlhdcaun-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by peekay

Charlie's statement prompted a question I have for the hobby historians on here: Were these Gold Cup kits more expensive than regular JoHan kits when they were released? I don't recall seeing them when I was younger.

Just makes me wonder what might've happened if they'd put that kind of effort into their regular line...

As for our cosmopolitan Mr Kennedy, this is yet another example of what happens when well-honed skills and a desire for excellence come together. Glad you were able to rescue this one!

Charlie's statement prompted a question I have for the hobby historians on here: Were these Gold Cup kits more expensive than regular JoHan kits when they were released? I don't recall seeing them when I was younger.

At least when I was a kid (mid-1980s), I remember the Gold Cup kits being maybe $2-3 more than the USA Oldies series, except the 1968 Fury police car.

I also remember the Turbine car was expensive enough that my dad almost blew a gasket when I showed it to him! Hey, I was like 9 at the time...and it's still sitting in a box awaiting assembly. When I feel my skills are good enough to do that kit the justice it deserves, I'll build it.

Charlie Larkin

• 8 years later...