Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which is better, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?

Monty

I got into a discussion on the Corvette Forum regarding some issues I'm having with my computer. One thing they all seemed to agree on was that I needed to change browsers, as what I currently have can slow things down. Allegedly it also has a problem with viruses.

Most of them recommended that I go with Google Chrome, but a decent-sized minority were adamant that Firefox was better. I'd like to know which one you're running and why you switched, if you did.

I am not knowledgeable about computers so keep that in mind when (if) you answer.

I have to favor Firefox as well. It's been working great for me for years, no issues at all.

I ran an early version of Chrome and it would get jammed up and slow down to the point of **7(%$#@*^ sometimes. Probably if you have a newer computer with a lot of speed and memory to waste, it's fine. On an older machine, I think it's trash.

I also have a feeling one of the primary reasons for Chrome's existence is to feed Google's data mining income stream, so it's doing more than just being a friendly, free browser...it's sending information on EVERYTHING you do to Google.

This is my opinion, based on my own experience and substantial research into the subject. Feel free to disagree. The truth is out there.

I have used both for years and can't really see either of them being substantially better than the other. They both work pretty much the same way. As for Bill's comment regarding Google's "devious ways"... I won't dispute what he says, but pretty much everyone does that. If you have any remaining ideas about being online and staying "anonymous," that's pretty much impossible no matter which browser you use.

You can browse anonymously (no browser history kept) with any browser, if you set up your preferences that way.

My turn to post a "know it all" embellishment.

"Browsing anonymously" is an entirely different concept from "no browser history kept".

Clearing the browsing history simply does just that...the browsers memory (that a USER account has access to) of where a user has gone during a session is erased at the end of the session. This keeps wives, bosses and children from being able to see that Daddy was looking at racy pictures. That's all. Period.

To browse anonymously, one needs to set up a proxy IP address, or come up with some other technical solution to prevent the browser from logging ALL activity DURING a session and returning the data to the mother ship. Google Chrome and Firefox supposedly have a requestable "don't mine my data" option, among other solutions for seeking anonymity.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have to favor Firefox as well. It's been working great for me for years, no issues at all.

I ran an early version of Chrome and it would get jammed up and slow down to the point of **7(%$#@*^ sometimes. Probably if you have a newer computer with a lot of speed and memory to waste, it's fine. On an older machine, I think it's trash.

I also have a feeling one of the primary reasons for Chrome's existence is to feed Google's data mining income stream, so it's doing more than just being a friendly, free browser...it's sending information on EVERYTHING you do to Google.

This is my opinion, based on my own experience and substantial research into the subject. Feel free to disagree. The truth is out there.

This is the reason that I avoid all things Google even if I give up a bit. My search engine is Bing even though I dislike Microsoft and I stick to Safari even though Firefox is a bit better with some functions.

Google used to say their motto was Do No Evil, but I think they forgot that a long time ago.

Google: Indexing the World. One User at a Time

Dale

My turn to post a "know it all" embellishment.

"Browsing anonymously" is an entirely different concept from "no browser history kept".

Clearing the browsing history simply does just that...the browsers memory (that a USER account has access to) of where a user has gone during a session is erased at the end of the session. This keeps wives, bosses and children from being able to see that Daddy was looking at racy pictures. That's all. Period.

To browse anonymously, one needs to set up a proxy IP address, or come up with some other technical solution to prevent the browser from logging ALL activity DURING a session and returning the data to the mother ship. Google Chrome and Firefox supposedly have a requestable "don't mine my data" option, among other solutions for seeking anonymity.

Jeez, what a know-it-all... :rolleyes:

Kidding!

Of course you are correct. But I think that trying to be "secret squirrel" online is sort of an uphill battle. ^_^

Just to add to Bill's addition...

Here is what Firefox says if you choose to browse "privately"...

Private Browsing

Firefox won't remember any history for this window.

In a Private Browsing window, Firefox won't keep any browser history, search history, download history, web form history, cookies, or temporary internet files. However, files you download and bookmarks you make will be kept.

While this computer won't have a record of your browsing history, your internet service provider or employer can still track the pages you visit.

I prefer Firefox. It simply works best for me. I am running Windows 7 64 bit and have no problem. But Browsers aren't so important to me as the fact that I despise tool bars and tabs with a passion and will run anything that doesn't have them all over the place.

Chrome does a great job of translating foreign websites so I use it quite often. Sometimes I'll use FireFox which has more browser extensions that I like to use. Chrome seems more intrusive than Firefox, but you have to expect that from Google.

Shockingly CC Cleaner is still a clean program. If things get to slow I use that to clear a lot of saved info and multiple caches at once. It has a lot of other uses as well so it might be worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...

Chrome does a great job of translating foreign websites so I use it quite often. Sometimes I'll use FireFox which has more browser extensions that I like to use. Chrome seems more intrusive than Firefox, but you have to expect that from Google.

Shockingly CC Cleaner is still a clean program. If things get to slow I use that to clear a lot of saved info and multiple caches at once. It has a lot of other uses as well so it might be worth looking into.

Andrew, you say this works pretty well? All these work programs are starting to slow down my computer. Do you have a URL for them that you trust?