Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flying Cloud RV Caravan

PatW

I've just had delivered the above 1/24 - 1/25 scale resin Camper. It's cast as a junkyard diorama piece. Perhaps I'll do it that way as it has a lot of flash around the bottom of it OR is grass and other rubbish? OR should I renovate it and build a complete interior knowing the bits that you can get nowadays from resin casters?

1Doorside_zpsb5b4d1dc.jpg

As you can see it comes with a spare wheel with tyre and a couple of cooker gas canisters. I've had to wait a few weeks getting it from teddyb2336 on ebay from the states to here in the UK but it's worth it!

If I junkyard it southpier that could be the base! Sixties Sam I'm looking at doing it with Plasti-Kote chrome rattle can and clear glosscoat from the same firm as with my teardrop I scratchbuilt a couple of years ago.....

SAM_4015_zps19dd59b7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I've been on hols. So as soon as I got back I laid up the plumbers alloy tape and here are the pics...........................

24_zpsc8be8198.jpg

25_zps3dedbb84.jpg

Yes it's plumbers tape! A little thicker than BMF but it stretches! Now I've got to do the undercarraige, spare wheel hanger at the rear, tow bar and gas canisters at the front and legs and feet front and rear. And there's the lights and number plate etc to finish off.

Well I and a few others on another site thought that it rode a bit low on it's wheels so I've added a few scale inches so that it doesn't ground out on a bumpy road! .........................

38_zps72403ae9.jpg

I can perhaps now put the spare wheel in a box under the back.

Edited by PatW

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea realgone58! I've done a couple of other things................

43_zpsa1f1937b.jpg

42_zps92b32c9a.jpg

The front handle to wind the leg up and down and the spare wheel and carrier. I don't know whether they have one but as the spare wheel came with the body I thought I'd make an open tray from plastic card and mount it underneath at the back.

Edited by PatW

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done the last few bits, Painted the tyre carrier, and made the power cable to the tow vehicle..................

45_zpsfd2544fd.jpg

46_zps76e40930.jpg

And in the Ikea cabinet..

50_zps4940253a.jpg

If your are a super detailer (as I am not) this would be the casting to try. Imagine opening up and hinging the door, cutting out the wondows and adding clear plastic, fitting a floor and complete interior and adding the exterior awning! Now wouldn't that be just great.

there is a 1:1 of these not far from me. i want to do one for my junkyard if i ever get the cash to spend.times are so tight around here i"m starting to choke and to make matters worse the town i live in put in sewer lines a couple of years ago and that cost me $325.00 quarterly . some of that used to be my allowance for the hobby. :angry:

Hi Manny, I hope things improve for you next year. We have a problem here in the UK with Gas and Electricity prices. The 'energy' giants are increasing prices by 10% but we don't get anymore that 1% in wage rises if we get any at all and for me on a pension it's really tight so when I buy a kit or resin like this Airstream I have to make the most of it!

Merry Christmas Manny and have a happier new year in 2014.