Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercury Capri SVT (A Mustang of a different sort)

Abell82

I actually did. It has a 12 inch electric on the outside and was going to have 2 separate 6 inch on the inside but there isn't enough room.

I think I found some that might fit if I thin them out though. Or I may sat forget it and just build it like it is.

Edit: I would really like to go coil on plug style ignition but have yet to find individual coils that I like, ie are detailed enough.

Edited by Abell82

Well I figured out the cooling fan issue by using a photo etched 12 cooling fan.

Since I am new to photo etch it didn't turn out the greatest but it will work.

102_4261_zpsfc7d4ff2.jpg

Here is the front of the radiator in front of the engine...

102_4264_zps0babafae.jpg

Here is the engine with out the radiator...

102_4263_zps7dd2220a.jpg

Unfortunately while playing with the radiator, I noticed that the radiator bracket across the top was cast too thick.

So I thinned the radiator "top frame" down a little, this moved the frame up. This also moved the engine up. When I added the supercharger belt, I forgot to thin it down a little.

What all this means is that the hood no longer clears the engine...

102_4267_zps212bbee4.jpg

102_4266_zps9c58a6f3.jpg

So I may have to go with a conventional cowl hood...

102_4268_zpsb20ec711.jpg

102_4270_zps1b931280.jpg

Unless I find something more to my liking...

I decided I really didn't like the plain cowl hood.

So after working all day to make a new hood, one that would (hopefully) clear the engine here is what I'll be using...

102_4275_zpsa566c286.jpg

102_4271_zpsd3e7ca37.jpg

102_4274_zps909addd5.jpg

It's made from 3 less then perfect, resin hoods.

It's a little rough, and a little too tall.

All in all though for being a rush job it's not too horrible and will have to work.

Is there a reason you're using the Mustang front end instead of the Capri front end?

I was wondering this also. In my world altering a Capri with aero parts is a huge no no! Lol. I have 3 1:1s and as is the bubble back capris are the sexiest foxes ever. On 4 eyed pride they will ban you from the site for putting aero parts on a 4 eye. No lie

Is there a reason you're using the Mustang front end instead of the Capri front end?

Umm...maybe read the thread from the beginning? It started out as a Mustang in 1/24th scale. The only actual Mercury Capri models are 1/25th scale.

I was wondering this also. In my world altering a Capri with aero parts is a huge no no! Lol. I have 3 1:1s and as is the bubble back capris are the sexiest foxes ever. On 4 eyed pride they will ban you from the site for putting aero parts on a 4 eye. No lie

Yeah, I know all that and thanks for the praise on the MODEL guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering since it's supposed to be a Capri but looks like a Mustang with widened fenders. The build itself looks great with that blue though.

I have personally seen a LOT of Fox body Capris with mustang GT parts on them. I don't care for the real cars when they do that because it takes from the originality of the Mercury, However, this build looks great. I wish someone would do an accurate resin Capri to fit the modern Fox chassis from Revellogram. All of the old capri kits are like 1:28 scale or something odd like that even though they claim to be 1:25, they seem too small and WAY under detailed by today's standard.

I have personally seen a LOT of Fox body Capris with mustang GT parts on them. I don't care for the real cars when they do that because it takes from the originality of the Mercury, However, this build looks great. I wish someone would do an accurate resin Capri to fit the modern Fox chassis from Revellogram. All of the old capri kits are like 1:28 scale or something odd like that even though they claim to be 1:25, they seem too small and WAY under detailed by today's standard.

The beauty of the fox body to me was that each owner could customize their car to their individual tastes. And they had SO many options to choose from.

Those old Revell Capri kits are a lot of fun to build, assuming that you like kit bashing, and have lots of patience.

They are fairly close to 1/25th scale, I think you may be referring to the Testors Capri which is like 1/20th scale? It is a VERY simple kit that I have yet to try my hand at.

Edited by Abell82