Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pics-the '64 GTO is almost done.

Geno

Some final details and getting the front, hood and rear installed and it'll be ready for the Toledo show. It's been a long road but I'm happy with it. Sorry for the poor pics, I was hoping to have it finished today but daylight ran out before I could get outdoor shots. Hopefully I'll have it finished tomorrow or Monday.[ :)]
Picture1349.jpg
Picture1350.jpg
Picture1351.jpg
Picture1348.jpg

that's a nice looking engine bay.

I do have one thing to point out (having actually owned a Ponco), those radiators don't have a mold line on the top tank.

but that ram-air foam looks right on!

good luck at the contest, if you don't win the class you'll at least give the judges some difficult choices. :)

that's a nice looking engine bay.

I do have one thing to point out (having actually owned a Ponco), those radiators don't have a mold line on the top tank.

but that ram-air foam looks right on!

good luck at the contest, if you don't win the class you'll at least give the judges some difficult choices. :)

Oops, LOL. I've tried to get all the details down and there's one I missed and didn't give it a second glance. Chalk it up to inexperience. This is only my second build in the last 20 years. I'll have to pull that and fix it. Hopefully I can get it back out. :unsure:

Gene, would you mind telling us what paints & techniques you used to achieve that finish?

Hi Monty,

I painted the car with Testors Model Master Honduras Maroon which is the same paint code as Pontiac's Marimba Red. I sanded, primed and applied 2 coats of color and 2 coats of Testors wet look clear, I then wet sanded it with 6000, 8000 & 12000 sanding cloth and hand rubbed it out with Turtle Wax polishing compound and finished it off with a good coat of Turtle Wax Ice. As for the foam air cleaner, it's from a GMP scrap diecast GTO as are several other parts, yes this is a kitbash between a kit and a diecast. That's also where I got the tires and rims. :)

Edited by Geno