Model Cars Magazine Forum

If there was one thing about my modeling skills I could improve, it is.....

Okay, so I got to thinking about this subject last night as I was mulling over another rushed paint job. If I could be more patient when it comes to color coats on models, I think I could get more built. I tend to rush the paint jobs as I am in a hurry to get them finished and as a result, I end up with more WIPs than completed models!

So, what is it you wished you could improve in your model building?

I need to improve every aspect, I am not a good builder

You are a good builder, Johnathon. Don't compare your abilities with other club members. Don't allow certain people to ruffle your feathers so to speak. You do get a model completely built. I still like the line from our member Raoul C. who once said "Many of us are model builders, but few are model finishers." Now go back to your model bench and enjoy it and life. I have been on meds from being in the hospital that I have never had to take before. I think they are turning me into some kind of teary eyed little girl. LOL

My answer is: Oh My God, If only I could scratch build that special little fiddly part that I have stuck in my head for that special build. I have nick named it in my head "bumper bling" I have been for a few years mulling over my Buick GS/GSX Flip nose build creation. I had cut up several kits to create some cool separate parts. Buick offered the GSX package a N-25 custom bumper which is in itself pretty cool. The bumper has square cut outs with square tips that extend slightly through those holes. I don't even think this was available in 1970. Anyway, I got to thinking it would be kind of cool to have a couple of dragon bodies attached to the back bumper. They would need to be mirror imaged of course. Their tails would meet in the middle and their bodies would stretch to a smaller opening in the bumper where their heads would be turned and their mouths opened up with the exhaust pipe just somehow out of site. If the engine smoked, it would be cool. And if you could get fire to come out of the exhaust....WOW! I suppose it sounds a bit childish. My first car was a 72 GS that my older brother had special ordered. It was a 455 car. He had put the good Ol Cherry Bomb glass packs on it. By the time I got it from him they were burned out. I could get the car up to ninety at night and let my foot of the gas so I could see flashes of light in my rear view mirror. It had the turbo 400 on the floor and a 3:08 gear. If anyone in Indiana knows a Robert Helms. I believe he is the last known owner of this Strato Mist Blue color car after the Gene Dixon family near Covington Indiana.

Maybe bumper bling will start a whole new model trend. If it is something you can do, do it. My idea could start with a cool pair of comision made dangely type ear rings. I would just need to make molds of them for casting. I am also thinking that just behind the front wheels of the Flip nose where the top and bottom sections would meet I could put exhaust dumps there where two more dragons could be attached. Wouldn't it be cool to fire that up? Fire breathing dragons on a car! maybe I just need more drugs? Maybe I could put ruby's in their eyes and make them light up with grain of wheat bulbs? Break lights?

Edited by Greg Wann

Put me in the "airbrushing" category. However, I have a plan to get better. I've had a new airbrush but no compressor. I got a new air compressor a little while back and am now just waiting for the weather to turn a bit cooler so I can spend my time indoors and practice, practice, practice!

You are a good builder, Johnathon. Don't compare your abilities with other club members. Don't allow certain people to ruffle your feathers so to speak. You do get a model completely built. I still like the line from our member Raoul C. who once said "Many of us are model builders, but few are model finishers." Now go back to your model bench and enjoy it and life. I have been on meds from being in the hospital that I have never had to take before. I think they are turning me into some kind of teary eyed little girl. LOL

Greg, thank you very much for the kind words, been having that streak of builds where everything goes wrong, from messing up paint jobs to losing parts, have not been at 100% with anything, I am sort in a rut if you will . I see you are a having a good time on the meds :lol:

if there is one thing I could improve in regards to my modeling skills it would be putting them to good use and finishing a model. I've seen guys that can really crank them out and I think that is a skill worth improving. On the painting side of things even simple graphics are way more difficult than I thought and I would like to improve that aspect.