Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fastest street legal car in america

definately would be pretty cool to see some of these cars built in scale.

it will be extremely interesting to see what creations arrive in the following years. we'll see if new rules get put in place and how far and fast will they be able to push the boundaries. incredible cars to say the least.

Edited by comp1839

been going through some of the pics available. while this isn't the fastest or the quickest. it is the one i like the most.

Rampage-at-Rt-66-Image_zps163049c5.jpg

i also found out that while the veyron may be fast.......they also float! LOL!

Joe Barry's 56 chevy, Bad ass car. I think his fastest this years was a 7.15

i agree with you there paul. just to compete in drag week would be cool. i think my goal would be to try and complete the 5 days.

I have a friend who participated a couple of years ago. Not the most fun according to him as you are driving a car that typically doesn't have many creature comforts in the heat of the summer in the middle of the country! Add in a car that isn't designed to pull a trailer and it becomes tiring real fast. The trailer is necessary for the tools/parts one thinks they might need so guessing/packing correctly influences how the vehicle handles and performs.

been going through some of the pics available. while this isn't the fastest or the quickest. it is the one i like the most.

Rampage-at-Rt-66-Image_zps163049c5.jpg

i also found out that while the veyron may be fast.......they also float! LOL!

original_zpsfd629b49.jpg

That Veyrone ain't floatin', that's all the deeper the water was. Don't those things weigh 5-6k pounds?

Pete these cars do have to drive to the different tracks everyday. It is five tracks that Hot Rod picks out each year. The car can tow a trailer but that is as far as that gets. They can not have a support team following them with parts and tools.

Hotrod did a video about this. I never knew these guys had to actually drive the cars from race to race. Pretty cool actually. It gets back to the Two Lane Blacktop type of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TccUZOHuJuI

hey mike. got any pics of your buddies car? would be cool to see his ride. i'm a little familiar with the ride quality of these types of cars. i have to agree, you'd feel pretty beat up after riding in one for a week.

hey joe, was just kiddin' about the veyron's ability to float. then again for the price matybe it should. LOL! i think i read the curb weight was around 4100 lbs. could be wrong.

again, i'll try to clear the air on this misconception. the fastest street car in america is a contest put on by hot rod. it is their title, their contest, their rules. it is held on a drag strip.

the title that the bugatti veyron and the koenigsegg agera r hold is IS NOT the fastest street car in america but, the world's fastest production car. it is a different thing all together. i don't know what the criteria are for this title. maybe one of you guys (pete or jonathan) would start another topic on it.

hey mike, looked up your buddies nova. awesome piece. definately a LARGE wolf in sheeps clothing.

I checked that car out in Detroit at the Autorama a few years back. That is something else . The detail work to hide the go fast toys was second to none. It even had the plastic seat covers still on at the show. Just walking by the car you miss the roll bars on the inside.

i found a chart on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

if you go to the second chart it will show you their 1/4 miles e.t.'s. the bugatti was #1 @ 9.70.

i went back over my racepak data from the car i ran in 2000 and i can tell you it went 1.05 @ 60 feet @ around 59.4 mph. that was a 7.15 pass @188 and some change. so you can compare 0-60 times. it would be safe to say a typical low 7 second drag car goes 0-60 mph in about 1.1 seconds. significantly faster for the sub 6 second cars.

it's a shame the nit pickers can't seem to find this info. instead of nit picking the wrong titles.

again, i'll try to clear the air on this misconception. the fastest street car in america is a contest put on by hot rod. it is their title, their contest, their rules. it is held on a drag strip.

Actually, it should read: Fastest Street Cars in America: Hot Rod Drag Week

It's a formal event, put on by a magazine, so yes, their rules, they award the trophy. Should the O.P. have capitalized the title and specifically stated his post was only about the event Hot Rod puts on, since he posted a second hand company video of one of the cars which partook in Hot Rod's event? Probably, but he didn't, so there's room for debate.

I have no issue with Hot Rod giving away the "Fastest Street Cars in America" title based on their rules, but I think we all understand that the title is limited to cars which show up, participate, and complete the events Hot Rod Magazine has set up. That's a very limited number compared to ALL the street legal cars in the U.S., and that's where the grey area lies. If we only consider Hot Rod's event, the car they say is the fastest IS the fastest based on their event rules and conditions. If only Hot Rod's event is considered for the sake of this discussion, there's probably not going to be a ton of interest in discussing ONE car for multiple pages. Now if we don't limit the discussion to ONLY Hot Rod's event participants, the discussion opens up considerably.

I think Casey is touching on the nub of the title of the original post. Are we talking about the fastest "Street car," "streetable" car, or the fastest street LEGAL car? I doubt that the Camaro in question would pass legal standards in a slew of states. I remember when I lived in DC that the Superbird was banned in Maryland.

• 1 year later...

Just a Dart Little M 427 small block, I sold my work in progress daily driver which together with working I was able to pick it up pretty cheaply. It's 13:1, has Dart Pro 1 230cc Platinum aluminum heads, 4130 Eagle forged crank and H beam rods, and JE pistons to make it brief, it makes about 700 horse on a mild tune with a lot more left in it. That, and the new SpecRite 5500 stall torque converter should make my car a complete animal! The first upgrade I'll end up making is a cam swap, it has a really small 660 lift solid roller in it and it would really benefit from a 750+ solid roller. That all takes money that I don't quite have. Besides, it's making more than enough power for my racing in high school. If I ever get some free time away from school, and life itself, then I can get some builds back going here :)

HAHAHAHA, coulda got a KB HEMI and won some races.. oh well, Chevy is always good for second place ...

I do believe that Larry Larson now holds the title of fastest street legal vehicle in the world with his S10? someone correct me if I'm mistaken :unsure:

post-11129-0-53924300-1415679112_thumb.j

Edited by Dragfreak

I do believe that Larry Larson now holds the title of fastest street legal vehicle in the world with his S10? someone correct me if I'm mistaken :unsure:

attachicon.gifsafe_image.jpg

I honestly think it's laughable to call this a street car, no sane person would use it as a daily driver. The complete lack of any creature comforts, lack of an interior, and stupidly powerful engine would make it to much for the road. Sure it does a good job doing what it was built for (the track) but just because it qualifies in certain areas as street legal doesn't mean I'm going to think of it in the same mindset of car that have been modified or built to be used as dailys.