Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

What's really pi##ing me off is how all these so called news reporters are so quick to start slobbering over a tragic event and draw in ratings that they start telling you stuff before they have a clue of what's going on "Um, it's been CONFIRMED that fifty seven people have been killed!" Then the next day it changes to six. It is absolutly disgusting how they thrive on peoples misfortunes!!!! It get's worse and worse each day!!!!!!

Dealers playing games in car ads!

All those ads are just devised to rip people off, those who aren't as well read or informed as many of us. Dishonest dealers just tick me off!

This, for sure.

I recently looked at a '11 Town Car with low miles at a "reputable" new car dealership here in town. The car had a slightly high price on the windshield, but with a bit of haggling I felt it could be had.

Not.

The "doc" fees and other "incidentals" kept the final price within $5 of the original price on the car. I asked the guy why he thought we were stupid and left. Really? All the subjective fees and such were adjusted to keep the price high?

G

What's really pi##ing me off is how all these so called news reporters are so quick to start slobbering over a tragic event and draw in ratings that they start telling you stuff before they have a clue of what's going on "Um, it's been CONFIRMED that fifty seven people have been killed!" Then the next day it changes to six. It is absolutly disgusting how they thrive on peoples misfortunes!!!! It get's worse and worse each day!!!!!!

Yes. The first reports on the World Trade Center put the loss at 10,000 people. And that was before the second tower was involved.

My 98 Honda Civic transformed itself from a 4 door to a 1 door car over the course of a couple years. Turns out Honda makes a great and enduring car except you evetually can't get into it anymore.

It started with the left rear door. It would open from the INSIDE only. Here's the fun part. So I show my wife. "See how the handle on outside does not open the door?" CLUNK, CLUNK, nothing. Then I reach INSIDE and open the door. She looks down at the child safety latch in the door sill, says "Oh this is the problem", throws the latch and shuts the door.

Door # 1 out of commission.

So the kids get in on the right side of the car for about a year. Later this year, my brother in law is over and I am telling him about my unuseable door and how it got that way. We are having a good laugh at my wife's expense. I take him out to the car,and the with perfect timing rear door # 2 will not open from the outside. We work on the doors and I did manage to undo the safey latch with some bent wire slid down the jamb from the inside. Turns out a plastic clip has worn out on both rear doors. No time to fix it now. Just open doors from the inside.

Doors 1 and 2 partially working.

Three weeks ago, my oldest comes in the house and tells me the driver's door will not open. I say "From the outside only right?" He says "Nope. From either side."

Huh?

He was right.

So I go on line and find out that this is what Hondas do. With one door left to get in the car I am getting nervous that we may find ourselves evicted by our own car. I order the driver's lock mechanism and the little plastic parts for the rear doors. While I wait for the time to fix the doors, I drive the car. How fun to open the passenger door and fold my 6'1" 214lb 51 yo self into the front, trying not to have a life changing experience with the e-brake handle. I had to do this TWICE when I took a client to lunch. I could have added to the most embarrasing car thead.

Finally, the free Saturday comes. I find a post by a guy who actualy got the drivers door open. It's a good post and he says it is a bit of pain. Understatement.

After four hours of being balled up in front of my Honda civic on a 90 degree day, removing a inner door panel with the door closed, I push the unseen pin inside the latch mechanism and the door casually falls open as if it was saying "Whaat?". I celebrate with a complete throwdown of "That's right! You MY b>>ch now! YEAH!

That car is going 300K whether it likes it or not!

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

The parts store doesn't have the parts I need for a customer's BMW and they have to come from Germany! So it will be at least 2 weeks!

Don't know if this is allowed but try a carquest store they own a company called World Pac tons of import parts .

i spent a friday looking for a boatload of parts for a guy ,he had a 740il PITA but we were able to get 90 percent of what he wanted and in just a fefw days also .

And just dealing with the public can be what irks me sometimes but then you get the payback for intelligence in people

MIchael

Edited by hvymtl

Good lord. How has Honda managed to stay in business when all they make is lemons? Working parts wearing out at 15 years? Headlights falling out after 250,000 miles? Shameful.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Ya, stuff on pretty much any car wears out due to age, mileage and quality/quantity of maintenance....250k is a lot... it looks like my Jeep is going to be the first vehicle I've taken to 150k miles...haven't accumulated anything close to that in mileage before..

Edited by Rob Hall

Ya, stuff on pretty much any car wears out due to age, mileage and quality/quantity of maintenance....250k is a lot... it looks like my Jeep is going to be the first vehicle I've taken to 150k miles...haven't accumulated anything close to that in mileage before..

200,000 is the new 100,000. I remember when we thought a car that had clicked over 100,000 was very special. Many cars didn't make it back in the 1960s-1980s. Today's cars should make 200,000 and beyond as a routine matter. I have 183,000 on my Grand Caravan, 140,000 on my Breeze and 140,000 on the Tracker. All three run well. My other Breeze only died at 190,000 due to lack of maintenance on my daughter's part. So even nothing special cheapie cars should go a long ways!

Those cheap plastic clips snapping drive me nuts. It's like when you go to take a part off with pinch clips and one breaks. I read a book about the design and debut of the new Dodge Caravan generation in 1996. The book told how they saved money and weight by substituting plastic parts for parts that were metal in the previous year's vehicles. When my Caravan was still under warranty, the power door locks in the sliders broke and were repaired TWICE. Then I talked to the service manager and we put the 1996 part along side the 1995 part and the earlier part was all metal, but mounted exactly the same. We agreed to use the metal part and I haven't had an issue since, and that was 160,000 miles ago!

My 2001 Nissan Maxima is just a couple of hundred miles away from 300,000, and my headlights have not fallen out yet, and all four doors open from both the inside and outside :lol:

Wow...lots of miles for the age...a buddy of mine in Denver has an '01 Maxima with about 65k I think... my '00 Grand Cherokee is almost at 150k... my sister's '84 Merc 500SEL that I drive occasionally has over 200k...

Wow...lots of miles for the age...a buddy of mine in Denver has an '01 Maxima with about 65k I think... my '00 Grand Cherokee is almost at 150k... my sister's '84 Merc 500SEL that I drive occasionally has over 200k...

Yeah, its been driven all over the US, including up in Alaska(hit a moose), so a lot of the miles are highway miles, I did not put those miles on it, I just know the history of the car, and its three owners before me, three owners, one family.

Wow, an 01 with 65k, I guess he doesnt drive it very much

Edit, I was wrong, I am about 60 miles from hitting 300,000

Edited by martinfan5

Edit, I was wrong, I am about 60 miles from hitting 300,000

You will have to post a picture of that happening! It's a cool event.

One time I was at a local junkyard in NJ and I saw an old Honda Accord sitting next to the office with "DON"T TOUCH" across the windshield. I looked at it and asked the guy what was so special. He replied, "Look at the odometer." It had just hit 500,000 miles! He said there was nothing wrong with it, just that the owner achieved the mileage and then junked it. He couldn't bring himself to part it out!

My new computer and it's system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thing is driving me nuts!! My puny brain is having a hard time figuring it out!! Hows come when you call a tech support line, it's always in India somewhere????!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: