Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Lets see ................ last February I had my upper ball joints and upper A arm bushings replaced at my local Firestone. On Wednesday this happened to my wife at 55mph, in the left lane of US275. The bolts that hold the ball joint to the A-rm where apparently not tightened properly and sheared off. It's amazing to me that this didn't cause her to crash. Very lucky.

Wow. Let us know what happens when you confront that shop!

Back in the last century when I was young and using my '65 Barracuda for daily transport, I paid a local garage to replace my clutch. The next evening I had to drive to North Jersey to pick up my tear drop trailer. On the way up there on the Garden State Parkway at 60 mph, I noticed that when I hit a slight bump, the transmission would pop into neutral. I loaded up the trailer and headed home, and it got worse. I basically had to hold the shifter in 3rd all the way home. The next morning I crawl under the car and find that there isn't one single bolt holding in that transmission! The whole thing is held in place by the driveshaft! I call the garage and they tow it in. They said they checked it all over and fixed it. Well, all they did was add four bolts. The clutch always chattered after that and upon taking it apart myself later on I found the trans yoke was all chewed up and the clutch was warped and several clutch springs were broken.

My boss' daughter had a few calls today where she was rather rudely asked to be connected to a male employee, one of which didn't even know the right name for the vehicle he had questions on..........

Before I retired from Sears I was keenly aware of the gender bias of many customers. It goes both ways. There were some people who came into buy appliances that would not buy from a man and others that wouldn't buy from a woman. Most just wanted someone who know what they were talking about.

Before I retired from Sears I was keenly aware of the gender bias of many customers. It goes both ways. There were some people who came into buy appliances that would not buy from a man and others that wouldn't buy from a woman. Most just wanted someone who know what they were talking about.

What frustrates me about this is that even if it's something simple like confirming stock, checking the price ( as in looking t the tag and repeating the price), stuff like that. I understand if it's a tech question, or they don't know what the part number is, but when it's a matter of wanting to ask one of the guys because we're one of the guys, even for a simple set of screws just kinda pisses me off. Seen it happen to her mother, her half sister, and our only our other female co-worker.

What frustrates me about this is that even if it's something simple like confirming stock, checking the price ( as in looking t the tag and repeating the price), stuff like that. I understand if it's a tech question, or they don't know what the part number is, but when it's a matter of wanting to ask one of the guys because we're one of the guys, even for a simple set of screws just kinda pisses me off. Seen it happen to her mother, her half sister, and our only our other female co-worker.

What made me even angrier was as you say, the assumption that goes with it. Because of someone's gender bias, they assume that they don't know what they are talking about. When I started working for Sears in the tool department, I had a fellow associate who really knew tools. Unfortunately I spent a portion of my time confirming information that this associate had already given them because she was an African American woman. It just pissed us both off. If you want to question someone's knowledge there are ways to do it properly but don't just dismiss a person because of who they are.

The Bears lost. Again!

After the, um... "less than spectacular" season the Sox had, :rolleyes: ... I was looking forward to football season. Things started out great, 3-0. Now 3-2 and not looking quite so spectacular anymore. :(

I agree. Very disapointing. Being born and raised in Chicago and Chicago area I have always been a Bears fan. I too am still always hoping all the Chicago teams do well even tho I left Illinois years ago. I lived on Long right off of 63 rd. st. right across from Midway airport.

My boss' daughter had a few calls today where she was rather rudely asked to be connected to a male employee, one of which didn't even know the right name for the vehicle he had questions on..........

I just remembered! I bought my Dodge Caravan from a woman. I was so impressed that a woman was selling cars that I never questioned it. Everything went well and on delivery she spent well over an hour going over every last feature on the Mark III high top van!

Last night we got skunked. Whole house and both dogs stink. Spent most of the evening washing dogs with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Four rounds and she still stinks.

At least all the doors on my civic open. - from both sides.

One forward , two back.

Edited by Scott Colmer

Last night we got skunked. Whole house and both dogs stink. Spent most of the evening washing dogs with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Four rounds and she still stinks.

At least all the doors on my civic open. - from both sides.

One forward , two back.

Tomato juice! Our dog use to hit a skunk about 3 or 4 times a year. Always kept a couple of gallon cans of tomato juice around. Worked like a charm. PS no V8. Not the same stuff.

What's irking me? VISTA PRINT ads stalking me all over the Internet... on every site I go to!

Seems that I clicked on their FREE business card ad and upon trying it, found that it was going to cost me near $40 to get decent cards delivered to me within a week! So I cancelled and went over to Staples and had them within an hour for much less! And now they're stalking me! :wacko:

This bugs me, but not just for today. People who drive and do not stop for STOP signs. I live in a quiet residential neighborhood of single family homes. My house sits at a 3 way intersection (with 3 way STOP signs) at the top of the "T". Maybe 1 in 5 cars going through the intersection will actually stop. People blow through the intersection at 30 to 40 MPH like the STOP signs are not even there. Between 7:30 and 8 AM when people who work locally are on their way to work, the street is like a Freeway with car after car just whizzing through the intersection. One day I was crossing the street to get my mail from the mailbox and almost got run over by someone blowing through the STOP sign right at the foot of my driveway. Our local P.D. should hide an unmarked car at the intersection to give out tickets. They could probably make a fortune for the Township from the moving violation fines.

We had a garbage truck driver like that, and was lazy too, complained about having to pick up garbage that was too heavy.......even though my Dad (who was around twice his age) was able to get it to the curb. I had gone for a walk one morning and and I saw him rolling down a hill that is a few blocks from home and noticed it looked like he had no intentions to stopping, so I stayed onthe sidewalk until he stopped or had blew threw and cleared the intersection. Turns out It was a good thing I did wait, he rolled right on through all while giving me this "get off MY road" look. Needless to say, I called the company to turn him in since that didn't only put me at risk as a pedestrian, but also as a motorist, but there was a grade and middle school just behind me.......luckily it was in the middle if a school day, so all the kids were in the buildings and not outside or trying to get to or from school.

The shop working on my pickup. It's a project truck, getting customized. A 1986 Ranger supercab, having the frame stretched to drop a long bed on it. (The factory only put short beds on supercabs). He has had my truck since MARCH. The shop is far from home, and my schedule makes trips there virtually impossible. The one time I went out there, the only thing he had done was take the bed off the donor truck, roll it into his shop, and use it as a dumpster. This after saying the frame work was complete.

This bugs me, but not just for today. People who drive and do not stop for STOP signs. I live in a quiet residential neighborhood of single family homes. My house sits at a 3 way intersection (with 3 way STOP signs) at the top of the "T". Maybe 1 in 5 cars going through the intersection will actually stop. People blow through the intersection at 30 to 40 MPH like the STOP signs are not even there. Between 7:30 and 8 AM when people who work locally are on their way to work, the street is like a Freeway with car after car just whizzing through the intersection. One day I was crossing the street to get my mail from the mailbox and almost got run over by someone blowing through the STOP sign right at the foot of my driveway. Our local P.D. should hide an unmarked car at the intersection to give out tickets. They could probably make a fortune for the Township from the moving violation fines.

I share this same frustration as you Richard. I don't know why they bother putting stop signs up anymore.

One addition to this is people who don't use turn signals. I swear it is a growing epidemic here. Irks me something bad!

Forum members who routinely gripe about their finances, or lack thereof - and as a by product how many kits they can or cannot afford and then yell at other forum members who are simply trying to be helpful about their ability to understand said financial situation. Along with constantly whining about their internet connection and what it does or doesn't allow them to view, and all while stating incorrect information while attempting to sound factual.

• Like 1