Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I've got storage units for my miscellaneous junk and boxes of model kits. Alas, no garage--two 1-car carports, but occupied and 2 cars in the 1-car width driveway. My next house will need at least a full 2 car garage, preferably 3 car...

Storage units are great, but there is that monthly fee, I sure you looking forward to having a garage sometime again

My neighborhood had an optional 3 car garage. That was the one option the original owner of my house didn't buy!

The house's in my neighborhood that have three car garage's are all two story house's, come to think of it, I cant say that I see to many single story with three car garage's , I would like to have a three car garage, but we dont need or want a two story house

Edited by martinfan5

Storage units are great, but there is that monthly fee, I sure you looking forward to having a garage sometime again

The house's in my neighborhood that have three car garage's are all two story house's, come to think of it, I cant say that I see to many single story with three car garage's , I would like to have a three car garage, but we dont need or want a two story house

Two story is uncommon in the Valley, I've noticed. My bosses have identical 1-story houses (one in Desert Ridge, one in Gilbert) with 3 car garages. My next house, though, will be at least 400-2600 miles from here :)

Two story is uncommon in the Valley, I've noticed. My bosses have identical 1-story houses (one in Desert Ridge, one in Gilbert) with 3 car garages. My next house, though, will be at least 400-2600 miles from here :)

My street is full of two story house's :lol: , trying to get as far away from here as you can :lol: :lol:

My street is full of two story house's :lol: , trying to get as far away from here as you can :lol: :lol:

Yep...most likely West Coast or North East... big metro areas with lots of tech companies and near an ocean is my goal. :)

Edited by Rob Hall

This is one is for the book , should I ever decide to write it ..... !

I received an email today from the president of the advertising department of a magazine . He informed me that he had received a phone call from an individual , asking him to please email me and instruct me to answer the email that said individual had sent me on Friday !

I worked on Friday and Saturday , and spent most of Sunday , snaking out the main sewer line for Kathie's house . Lone Wolf Custom Painting was about the last thing that I had on my mind this past weekend !

I received another email from the individual today stating that he would like my cell number so that he can call and discuss a build that he would like for me to do for him of his classic car ..... I just don't see this happening in this lifetime !

Do people realize that there are other aspects of life besides this ? Ya know ? , like , kids , grandkids , house and auto repair , significant others , a real job , etc ?

I try to help out as much with this hobby as I can , but there are times when it becomes almost more to deal with than it's worth ! People actually get hostile if you don't answer an email within a time setting of their choosing . I have to admit it , I am good about returning emails , but ...... Sometimes real life gets in the way !

This person gets flaked out about two days of an unanswered email , what's he going to be like with a several month build projection ?

Nope , uh uh , no way ! Ain't happenin' !

People who think it is cool, or makes them look more intelligent or who knows what by mispronouncing a word. My current peeve is integral. The emphasis is on the first syllable not the second. The origin of the word is from mathematical word integer. I have never heard anyone pronounce integer with emphasis on the second syllable. Why do they have to do that with integral.

Edited by Pete J.

OK, this more than irked me today. My Mom has some issues with her legs that have required her and Dad to get a permenent handicap placard for the Town and Country they own. We were coming home from Branson, MO today and stopped at a rest area to find two semis taking up 6 of the handicap spaces there!

OK, this more than irked me today. My Mom has some issues with her legs that have required her and Dad to get a permenent handicap placard for the Town and Country they own. We were coming home from Branson, MO today and stopped at a rest area to find two semis taking up 6 of the handicap spaces there!

I used to work with a guy that had handicap plates on his truck. If/when he was somewhere and noticed illegal handicap parking, he would pull his truck behind the vehicle so it couldn't get out. Then he would call the police to issue a citation and demand that the cop call a tow truck for removal. Many time the owner would come out of the store before the cops and tow truck arrived. Paul would refuse to move.

I used to work with a guy that had handicap plates on his truck. If/when he was somewhere and noticed illegal handicap parking, he would pull his truck behind the vehicle so it couldn't get out. Then he would call the police to issue a citation and demand that the cop call a tow truck for removal. Many time the owner would come out of the store before the cops and tow truck arrived. Paul would refuse to move.

Oh, that is good! I have at times had to use handicapped placards due to injuries, etc and would confront people who used those spaces illegally. Most common reply was, " I am only going to be a moment" and a fowl look when I said, "It doesn't say short term parking". People are just rude!

Oh, that is good! I have at times had to use handicapped placards due to injuries, etc and would confront people who used those spaces illegally. Most common reply was, " I am only going to be a moment" and a fowl look when I said, "It doesn't say short term parking". People are just rude!

That would make me want to hook their car to my Jeep and drag it out of the spot so it could be used by Mom and Dad, or somebody else who's equally deserving! Edited by Joe Handley

Bad drivers. I'm driving down Baseline here in Az. Speed limit on this section is 45mph. I'm doing 45 and the road is mostly empty. Nobody in front of me or in back for a half mile. Anyway, here comes this fool pulling out of a side road in front of me and he dies. I mean hes going like 20. Lucky I saw him and he didn't even stop at the sign before he pulled out. It was a close one I'll tell you. Why this fool didn't wait till I passed I don't know. He had a clear road after I would have passed. I will tell you, there are some bad drivers out here in the Phoenix area.

Bad drivers.

I think it's an epidemic! I've had some interesting experiences in the past two weeks...

I'm driving the PA Turnpike towards NJ going about 85 mph. Mind you that the line of cars I'm following is doing the same. All of a sudden I hear this BWWWWWAAAA! from behind me, so I look in my rear view mirror and all I see is this guy's face a few inches outside the back window of my Caravan. There is no helmet law in PA so this guy isn't wearing one, he's on some sort of crotch rocket going 85 right on my back bumper. We were going too slow for him, so the first tiny opening between me and the cars in the right lane and he zips through and then back again in front of me. Total idiot. The tiniest little mistake, pot hole or other bit of crud in the road and he was toast. A few more 'threading the needle' type maneuvers and he disappeared ahead of me, no doubt faster than 90.

Second idiot.. I'm on Route 202 in PA, through the eternal construction zone heading into King of Prussia. This area is two very narrow lanes, very closely hemmed in with concrete barriers on either side. I come up on a slow moving wide load. It's a prefab house / vinyl sided trailer thing that's so wide it's hugging the center line, taking both lanes. It has a guide truck behind it with a yellow flashing light, as the law requires. The guide truck is in the left lane so I settle in a reasonable distance behind him in the left lane to follow along. No problem.

Then out of nowhere, this little chick in a Beemer flies up in the right lane and passes both me and the guide truck. She noses in IN FRONT OF THE GUIDE TRUCK, who brakes hard to avoid her. Now she's right on the back bumper (if it had a bumper) of the house. What does she do now? She starts honking her horn! Apparently people are this stupid.

Edited by Tom Geiger

The only good part about bad drivers is that they eventually wind up as winners of a posthumous Darwin Award. Bikers seem to be more prone to this activity than the general population. I suspect a large part of this has to do with the majority of the group being populated by young males awash in testosterone.

I take offense to your statement, Pete. I've been riding since i was a little kid and the best people I ever rode with are those on Harley's - especially those that are used to group rides. Crotch rocket riders are a whole different story. I won't give you 2 cents for any one of them.

Road construction and the lousy timing of it. The three ways I'd have to get to and from work are undergoing construction right now.

Two years ago, Rte.64 started undergoing a widening and upgrading project that ran past our old location and would be an out of the path for our current location. Luckily it appears that this work should be done by Thanksgiving. I'm honestly shocked it is already nearly done already!

One year into the above project, they started on Rte.38 they started building a much needed bridge over the now Union Pacific (ex CNW) right of way and have it down to one lane each way in what was the westbound lanes. This is the most direct way, but between the tracks (rarely had good timing related to trains and that crossing) and driving through downtown Geneva, it can slow things down if you're running a bit late.........

In the Spring of 2012 I started using Fabian Parkway to Rte.31 to 38, which is a mile longer that straight up 38, but even before the bridge project started it was enough of a better path that it made a 1-2mpg improvement in my Jeep's mileage over he other way! Now they're doing work on Fabian between the Kane County Sheriffs Dept and Rte.25, which was one lane going east and now westbound........and clogs up during rush hours worse than before with the extra traffic from the 38 & 64 projects. I have heard that this is to some drainage and would be future washout issues, so it's good that they're working on it, but timing again.......somewhat annoying.

Used to be that I could jump onto Kirk Rd. and go from Fabian back to 38, and now they're doing some work work on the other bridge over the same UP tracks, same source tells me that this 20 something year old bridge is also having "issues" and needs the work being done to it like they're doing on Fabian in a portion south of the bridge too.

Can't complain too much since all the work is needed for infrastructure repairs (Kirk and Fabian) and/or upgrades (38 and 64) that they're all fairly major East-West corridors (with 38 & 64 going all the way East into Chicago and West past Dekalb/Sycamore), just most of it being around the same time is a bit annoying.