Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Uhh apparently not.. Mufflers aren't required in Ga. unless your vehicle is required to have an emissions test, which depends on what county you live in. I run straight pipes on my '77 Trailduster , but it's also painted Tor Red , so there's really no chance of missing it. I just like the sound.

Now, if people were just as worried about paying attention to bikes on the road, as they are apparently about the noise they make, or how loud a stereo is, or what color a car is or etc etc etc there would be a lot fewer bikers killed by drivers to busy doing everything else but driving.

This is an argument that's been around since about 15 minutes after the first Harley rolled off the assembly line. Some people look at it as an annoyance , some people look at as a way to save lives.

Edited by KingSix

You're absolutely right Harry, they should take a chance on getting killed every time they ride , just because the majority of drivers out there don't have the 1st clue about how to pay attention while they drive. Oh that and they are disturbing you. Certainly seems like a fair trade off ...

When I had my Harley I must admit one of the first things I did was to change the pipes. I just liked the sound. It would be interesting to know if the bikers that do get hit by cars had loud or stock pipes on their scoot. Do loud pipes make you safer or just loud ? I always thought I was a bit safer with the louder pipes.

When I had my Harley I must admit one of the first things I did was to change the pipes. I just liked the sound. It would be interesting to know if the bikers that do get hit by cars had loud or stock pipes on their scoot. Do loud pipes make you safer or just loud ? I always thought I was a bit safer with the louder pipes.

I would think louder would be safer, as with emergency vehicles. In today's well-insulated quiet cars, noise from other vehicles and the outside world can be hard to hear at times...

Here's one guy's take on the loud pipes issue that seems to look at the subject pretty fairly and objectively:

http://www.straight.com/life/loud-pipes-irritate-enhance-motorcycle-riders-safety

While I can understand how some (most?) bikers think that "loud pipes save lives" (and maybe they actually do, to a point)... that still doesn't excuse the guys who sit at the light and constantly rev the engine the whole time.

The house my daughters live in NJ is on a corner, and close to the street in an older neighborhood. When I sleep there over a weekend you can count on a couple Harleys to come thundering through the sleeping neighborhood about the times the bars have closed. They're having a revving competition as they drive through. No other reason than to tick people off. Jackasses!

Yup! I was in Baltimore last week in a parking garage. A dude in an old beat to heck Blazer had his million dollar stereo blasting out the garage. He was in and out of the car looking around to see who noticed. He was enjoying hearing all his noise echoing in the garage. Just one bullet through his battery!

Baltimore is just flooded with cheap cars and horrible stereos, that's a given. Also why hasn't anyone mentioned this? BLACKED out tail lights and the eastern european ego's that drive their leased German cars with BLACKED out tail lights that i cannot see at 3 am and no you do not have to go 71 mph on coney island avenue's 40 mph speed limit to pass me by, honk at me and then blink your stupid headlights at me like you are so cool and important! ARGH!

Baltimore is just flooded with cheap cars and horrible stereos, that's a given. Also why hasn't anyone mentioned this? BLACKED out tail lights and the eastern european ego's that drive their leased German cars with BLACKED out tail lights that i cannot see at 3 am and no you do not have to go 71 mph on coney island avenue's 40 mph speed limit to pass me by, honk at me and then blink your stupid headlights at me like you are so cool and important! ARGH!

Have had multiple people very pissed at me for refusing to give safety certificates for there vehicles........Blacked out lights, front or back are illegal in my province as I would assume most states and provinces........

Nick

As for the loud pipes on motorcycles, I would have to argue that they do save lives. A large number of drivers pay absolutely no attention to anything around them, which is why my parents want me to stick to riding on dirt, so at least the pipes help a little. Now, for the people reving their bikes at stop lights, they are just posers. On the other hand, I hate when people put loud pipes or take out the muffler packing on their dirtbikes. One of the biggest land use issues we face is noise, and it only takes one moron on a four-stroke with a less than adequate muffler system to get a track shut down.

As for the loud pipes on motorcycles, I would have to argue that they do save lives. A large number of drivers pay absolutely no attention to anything around them, which is why my parents want me to stick to riding on dirt, so at least the pipes help a little. Now, for the people reving their bikes at stop lights, they are just posers. On the other hand, I hate when people put loud pipes or take out the muffler packing on their dirtbikes. One of the biggest land use issues we face is noise, and it only takes one moron on a four-stroke with a less than adequate muffler system to get a track shut down.

That's just stupid to take out the muffler on a track bike.. last time I checked there weren't too many soccer moms talking on their cell phones while suckin' down double mochaccino latte's & applying make up on their way to work, driving on a closed race track. How about this ? Bikers will stop with loud pipes when people driving cars start paying attention ...

Edited by KingSix

Have had multiple people very pissed at me for refusing to give safety certificates for there vehicles........Blacked out lights, front or back are illegal in my province as I would assume most states and provinces........

My other peeve is blacked out windows all around. In states like NJ it's illegal to darken the windshield and front windows. I see them on cars from NY and PA though. I think that the numbnutz are more aggressive in cars when you can't see them. And downright dangerous for cops pulling over cars. Shouldn't be allowed nationally.

You can have tint in Ga, to a certain percentage, nothing on the front glass tho. But what will get you pulled over in hurry is, those little blue lenses hot rodders used to drill into the taillights ... highly illegal down here.. the excuse is " it looks like an emergency vehicle" light ..

I've never understood why it's legal for shops to install window tint on cars, but it's illegal for you to have it (in most states) on your car! :blink:

If it's illegal to have it, it should be illegal to install it, no?

Tinted windows are legal in every state, its the percentage of dark that varies from state to state

This website shows each states window tint regulation, how accurate its is , I have no idea, but it gives you a good idea

http://www.tintlaws.com/#Alabama-tab

Edited by martinfan5

That's just stupid to take out the muffler on a track bike.. last time I checked there weren't too many soccer moms talking on their cell phones while suckin' down double mochaccino latte's & applying make up on their way to work, driving on a closed race track. How about this ? Bikers will stop with loud pipes when people driving cars start paying attention ...

They don't take out the muffler completely, they just remove the fiberglass packing that lines the inside of the muffler. Any serious rider would quickly tell you that you are losing power by doing this (back pressure creates bottom end power), but some people just think it "sounds super awesomely cool bro" :lol:

I understand you guys up north getting cranky about tinted windows, but here in the southland it is almost a necessity. A car sitting in the sun for eight hours without some protection is just lethal to get into and interiors will just disintegrate after a short time. Personally, I have a car cover, but I understand tinting.