Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Our truck needs the waterpump change again...cant seem to get one to last a year anymore...poor quality workmanship of items these days...what ever happen to pride of workmanship.

Make sure the drive belt isn't being over-adjusted wiping out the pump bearing/seal prematurely......

And the pronunciation of the word DECAL.

I've heard at least three pronunciations...

dee-cal The way most folks say it

deh-CAL enthuses on the second syllable. A guy in my club says it this way and will 'correct' you mid sentence, as if he's going to convert the entire hobby to his way.

deckle (as in heckle) Maybe a Western Canadian thing?

Eastern Canadian, too. ;) At least, that's how I've always pronounced it.

Make sure the drive belt isn't being over-adjusted wiping out the pump bearing/seal prematurely......

Thanks for the information....nope not too tight just poor quality parts you know money is more important than anything else thing. I remember in the 80s you might never had to change one once it had been done and after very high miles. Ours in a 84 Chevy pickup with a 305ci...also buying the best parts available here...or supposed to be. keeps up Ill try and turn in a labor claim to see what happens...LOL...funny huh?

We're trying to purchase 2 new Nissan's - Frontier for me and a Rogue for Marcia. The salesman didn't know what options were available so he went to nissanusa.com - the same place we went to configure the vehicles. Can't get a Rogue because they're on a slow boat from Japan. They found a Frontier for me in South Carolina and were going to have somebody drive down here. I told them they would need to flatbed the truck because I'm not buying a new truck with 500 miles on it. Somewhere along the line the truck got damaged, so now they're searching again. Marcia changed her mind and now wants a 2013 Rogue that's loaded up, instead a of middle line unit. I'm ready to go to another dealer or just keep what I have.

And on top of that, my camera crapped out so it's on the way to NY for repairs.

Christmas decorations are up outside though.

Edited by crazyjim

We're trying to purchase 2 new Nissan's - Frontier for me and a Rogue for Marcia. The salesman didn't know what options were available so he went to nissanusa.com - the same place we went to configure the vehicles. Can't get a Rogue because they're on a slow boat from Japan. They found a Frontier for me in South Carolina and were going to have somebody drive down here. I told them they would need to flatbed the truck because I'm not buying a new truck with 500 miles on it. Somewhere along the line the truck got damaged, so now they're searching again. Marcia changed her mind and now wants a 2013 Rogue that's loaded up, instead a of middle line unit. I'm ready to go to another dealer or just keep what I have.

And on top of that, my camera crapped out so it's on the way to NY for repairs.

Christmas decorations are up outside though.

Might be doing you a favor, anything coming from Japan these days has a high chance of being glow in the dark ;-)

Actually Japan is almost entirely abandoning nuclear power now and I believe is going hydro electric and coal.

That's all well and good but they're pumping waste into the ocean faster than you can breath and they still haven't contained the rods .. scary stuff..

• 2 weeks later...

I freaking HATE BMF! Crap sticks where you don't want it to, then wont stick where you do want it to! I don't know how you guys use this stuff with such good results.

It's like any other modeling skill. Practice. Nobody is born knowing how to use foil. It's something you learn by doing. Don't get frustrated... the more you try, the better you'll get. Yes, there is a learning curve, but it's nothing a guy with normal skills can't learn.

People who flaunt the rules with swearing. :angry:

He didn't swear. I can see the "real" words that everyone types in their posts. The word he used was c-r-a-p, which for some reason the software's built-in filter doesn't allow... but it's not swearing. No harm, no foul.

Edit: I see that when I quote what he wrote, the word shows. Weird. The software thinks it's swearing if you use it, but ok if you quote it? :blink:

He didn't swear. I can see the "real" words that everyone types in their posts. The word he used was c-r-a-p, which for some reason the software's built-in filter doesn't allow... but it's not swearing. No harm, no foul.

Edit: I see that when I quote what he wrote, the word shows. Weird. The software thinks it's swearing if you use it, but ok if you quote it? :blink:

That's weird...I can't imagine anyone thinking that's a swear word...prudes.

Microsoft automatic updates. The last one that installed itself this AM wiped out my ability to play video or get sound on IE. Pretty clever, TinyLimp.

Naturally I got it fixed myself. I'm just so damm happy I'm able to do other people's work, correcting their fups, for free.

Is it too much to expect a TinyLimp auto update to actually leave functions...functioning??

People who use "flaunt" when they mean "flout". :P:lol: :lol:

Word police reference:http://gumbo.blogspot.com/2009/08/dont-flaut-it-flaunt-it.html

How about flaut as in flautas? :) Tasty...

Microsoft automatic updates. The last one that installed itself this AM wiped out my ability to play video or get sound on IE. Pretty clever, TinyLimp.

Naturally I got it fixed myself. I'm just so damm happy I'm able to do other people's work, correcting their fups, for free.

Is it too much to expect a TinyLimp auto update to actually leave functions...functioning??

I avoid IE like the plague...even on Windows, I prefer Chrome or Firefox.

I avoid IE like the plague...even on Windows, I prefer Chrome or Firefox.

I agree entirely, and I use Firefox for most everything...but last time I took my machine to an "expert", somehow he wiped out the ability to stream video content or sound from youtube via Firefox, and my lazy workaround to get to access that content is to just use IE. Someday I'll fix THAT problem correctly.

People who use "flaunt" when they mean "flout". :P:lol: :lol:

Word police reference:http://gumbo.blogspot.com/2009/08/dont-flaut-it-flaunt-it.html

Actually, in the context he used the word, either flaunt or flout would be correct. From your own posted source:

Flout: to show disdain, scorn, or contempt... to flout the rules.

Flaunt: to ignore or treat with disdain... to flaunt the rules.

Just sayin'... :D

Actually, in the context he used the word, either flaunt or flout would be correct. From your own posted source:

Flout: to show disdain, scorn, or contempt... to flout the rules.

Flaunt: to ignore or treat with disdain... to flaunt the rules.

Just sayin'... :D

Well, example 4 in my posted source is wrong. :) I should have proofed it more betterrer. :blink:

"Flout" Versus "Flaunt"

Grammar-Girl-Says-Flout.png?itok=OLGr8MX

"Flaunt" and "flout" sound similar but don’t mean the same thing.

When you flaunt yourself, your wealth, or your accomplishments, you’re parading them in front of people—showing off.

"Flout" means “to disregard, scoff at, mock, or show scorn.” A rebel flouts rules and laws.

Quick and Dirty Tip

Remember that you flout laws by linking the "out" in "flout" with the idea of being outside society.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But wait...there's more...

Choose Your Words flaunt/ flout

Flaunt is to show off, but flout is to ignore the rules. Rebels do both — they flaunt their new pink motorcycles by popping a wheelie, and flout the law by running a red light.

Flaunt means to work it, to preen like a peacock. You could flaunt your new Harley, your wealth, or even your bright colors:

Flout, on the other hand, means to show a blatant disregard or contempt for. If you scoff when told what to do, you flout the rules.

Prosperous Chinese are less shy about flaunting their wealth than people in other countries. (Economist)

Daffodils flaunted golden cups at their more gorgeous neighbors, the tulips. (Lucy Foster Madison)

The problem is that people use flout to mean flaunt. If you mix up the words in the sentences above, the meaning changes. It would be weird to flout your wealth or your golden color. Garner's Modern American Usage identifies this error at widespread: it can be seen in the writing of well-educated people. However, Garner advises (and we concur) that the distinction between flaunt and flout be preserved.

In other words, the euro zone is based on a gentleman's agreement that's widely flouted. (Salon)

Baseball's rulebook is routinely ignored, flouted and evaded. (New York Times)

Just sayin'. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy