Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Bill, we apparently have an "agree to disagree" situation.

From Merriam-Webster.com:

flout verb \ˈflau̇t\

: to break or ignore (a law, rule, etc.) without hiding what you are doing or showing fear or shame

flaunt verb \ˈflȯnt, ˈflänt\

: to show (something) in a very open way so that other people will notice

: to show a lack of respect for something (such as a rule)

As you can see, while "flout" may be the more precise word in that context, "flaunt" (according to the second definition) would also be correct.

What is happening here is a case of language evolving. The popular usage of "flaunt" to mean "flout" has been going on so long, and is so widely understood to mean "flout", that it's apparently passed into accepted usage...as far as Merriam-Webster is concerned, anyway. Kinda like "chaise lounge" for "chaise longue".

Different authorities have different opinions as to what's right at the current moment (and there are conflicting opinions as to correct spelling, punctuation, ad naseam all through English references today) and many word meanings have changed over the years English has been spoken. I'll stick with the old definitions, just in case I ever run into one of my old English teachers who were sticklers for "correct" over "popular".

Another one of the reasons I prefer math and engineering to English...but there are those who will argue that 2+2 don't necessarily equal 4, too (two? to?).

Sigh. :mellow:

Maybee inna futur i shud jus shuddup.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Language is always evolving. If a mainstream dictionary says a word means what it means, that's good enough for me. :D

BTW... I heard today about a survey regarding current words people most want to see disappear from usage. Included on the list... "selfie" and "epic fail." Care to guess what the number one word people would most like to see go away is?

Care to guess what the number one word people would most like to see go away is?

I hope it's "awesome". :P

From the Urban Dictionary:

2. awesome
A 'sticking plaster' word used by Americans to cover over the huge gaps in their vocabulary. It is one of the three words which make up most American sentences.
The American vocabulary consists of just three words: Omygod, awesome and ######.
Edited by Ace-Garageguy

From Merriam-Webster.com:

flout verb \ˈflau̇t\

: to break or ignore (a law, rule, etc.) without hiding what you are doing or showing fear or shame

flaunt verb \ˈflȯnt, ˈflänt\

: to show (something) in a very open way so that other people will notice

: to show a lack of respect for something (such as a rule)

As you can see, while "flout" may be the more precise word in that context, "flaunt" (according to the second definition) would also be correct.

It's on the internet, it has to be true!