Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Have you ever considered turning off the phone while you're working? There's no law that says you have to be accessible to everyone all the time. If it's an emergency, they can call you at your store's number.

Just an idea...

Why is everyone such a slave to their darn cell phone? When did we pass a law that says we must make ourselves available 24-7-365 to everyone? :rolleyes:

Turns out my phone has a number blocking feature, so I made use of that the other day and it's kinda nice and quiet now. A friend sent me a text this afternoon and when we finally slowed down enough to look, every one of the blocked numbers popped up as being blocked within the few hours between the time I got to work and got the chance go check the phone!

I don't have phone problems as I usually leave it in the car, or at home when I'm on vacation. I bought it for emergencies like if my vehicle was broken down and on the side of the road. A lot of people can't live without their phone as it's always in their hand or they even take it to bed with them. I feel sorry for those people as they need to "get a life."

I read a story in the newspaper about a lady who was on a roadtrip with her family and was heading home, going through Pennsylvania. Her son is about to be deployed to the middle east, she's a breast cancer survivor and teaches. When they went under a overpass, four teenagers threw a 8 pound rock into their cars windshield, hitting her in the face. The four teens were charged with assault, she's in the hospital, critical condition. Her son at least got a delay so he doesn't have to deploy. They had to remove parts of her skull to slow the brain swelling.

That just made me mad.

Edited by DynoMight

I read a story in the newspaper about a lady who was on a roadtrip with her family and was heading home, going through Pennsylvania. Her son is about to be deployed to the middle east, she's a breast cancer survivor and teaches. When they went under a overpass, four teenagers threw a 8 pound rock into their cars windshield, hitting her in the face. The four teens were charged with assault, she's in the hospital, critical condition. Her son at least got a delay so he doesn't have to deploy. They had to remove parts of her skull to slow the brain swelling.

That just made me mad.

What the blooming heck is wrong with kids? Charged with assault? More like attempted murder.

Saw an article about a traveler that got stuck at a TSA checkpoint at the Orlando airport because the TSA agent didn't know the District of Columbia existed and was a valid issuer of driver's licenses. Idiots.

Reminds me of my nightmare trip to Denver back in the 1980s! New Jersey had just started issuing photo licenses to people under 21, but for the rest of us our license was printed out on the same bank note form as our titles and registrations. So I get ot Denver and attempt to rent a car. The agent looked puzzled and brought out a book (pre-Internet era) that had a picture of every state's drivers license. The New Jersey entry showed the under 21 photo ID one. So they refused to rent me a car since they determined that my license was ficticious. I had to go to three different rental companies before one finally rented me a car. Then when I got back and tried to file my expense report with my company, I had a heck of a time getting reembursed for my rental car since I didn't use their approved vendor. Argh!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Gotta love the value big business places on experience and expertise. They go on, excitedly reinventing the same wheels over and over as though they are all unique and brand-new phenomena! :wacko:

And it's not just corporate. I'm always hearing the latest-and-greatest new medical or health study that re-examines and treats as "new" things that were common knowledge when I was a kid.

Just had to replace my antique WindowsXP system with a Win7 machine (interesting that it crashed relatively soon after TinyLimp stopped supporting XP) and naturally, many of my old programs and periferals are not compatible, entirely, with the "new improved" O.S.

The most annoying is the Nikon PictureProject that was a real sweetheart of a one-stop editing and photo transfer tool. I CAN use it under Win7, but I have had to devise cumbersome workarounds. The functionality of Photobucket is changed as well, though it still works...just differently.

Happily for me, I was able to transfer all of my important files and photos to the new system, but getting to them and being able to actually use them is a little bit of a hassle.

This didn't irk me today, but I bet it's irking a lot of people in California...

I read a story where the California state government has issued restrictions on water usage due to drought conditions. You're supposed to let your lawn go brown, because according to the state, "brown is the new green."

However... certain local governments in the state will fine homeowners who don't keep their lawns looking "green and healthy," because they believe brown lawns mean neglect, and lower property values.

So apparently you will be fined by the state government if you water your lawn, and you will be fined by your local government if you don't. Government gone nuts. No wonder so many people are leaving the state.

This didn't irk me today, but I bet it's irking a lot of people in California...

I read a story where the California state government has issued restrictions on water usage due to drought conditions. You're supposed to let your lawn go brown, because according to the state, "brown is the new green."

However... certain local governments in the state will fine homeowners who don't keep their lawns looking "green and healthy," because they believe brown lawns mean neglect, and lower property values.

So apparently you will be fined by the state government if you water your lawn, and you will be fined by your local government if you don't. Government gone nuts. No wonder so many people are leaving the state.

Well IIRC, Federal powers supercedes state, then state supercedes county, county supercedes local, I would think that if the state tells you not to water your lawn to save water, local governments would have no choice but to follow suit and any acting judge should throw the fine out if you have to appear before one. However, get somebody who thinks that their word is THE WORD, no matter what higher ranking officals say, and that could be a whole mess.

Wonder what these cities would do if you tore out your lawn and replaces it with gravel and a rock garden with the occasional desert dwelling plant because of these conditions...............

certain local governments in the state will fine homeowners who don't keep their lawns looking "green and healthy," because they believe brown lawns mean neglect, and lower property values.

By the term Local Government, are You referring to those Evil HOA's?

Don't know what HOA is. I'm talking about city ordinances.

Home Owners Association, the intent is to make sure things are clean and uniform around the neighborhood or sub division. Problem is that you'll get wanna be Napolions in these Associations that can get very demanding of their neighbors over things like house color, grass depth, size, location, and types of any flags and poles, ect. I think they can be far worse that any real "government" that you'd run into.

23wpbph.png

Kinda like the Fed fining folks who can't afford health insurance for not having it, eh?

"Let's see...they don't have enough money to buy health insurance. Hmmm...here's a good idea. They have very little money, so we'll take MORE of their money to punish them for not spending money they don't have. Yeah, that'll work."

Morons. Sorry...not PC. Oops.