Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

What "irked" me today was as I was filling up my gas tank at the pump, I heard voices. Yep, some yahoo on the other side of the pump yacking on his cell phone. I hate when I gotta listen to someone else on the phone, at the pumps, at the store, at the post office, etc. I liked it back-in-the-day when people had to use a "phone booth" to make their calls.

Got you beat the last time I filled up the gal at the pump was talking on a cell and texting on a second. Obviously no concern of blowing up the gas station or herself.

Hit a large deer for the second time in as many years. The last time it was a brand new car and State Farm paid to fix it, this time it's on a 9yr old, 146k mile truck that has liability only. So it's defacto totaled, as it's gonna need repairs that cost probably 3x what the truck itself is worth. In the mean time I have no vehicle to get to work with tomorrow, and my wife is treating me like I ran the deer over at 4am on the way home from work TODAY on purpose.

Oh did I mention I was borrowing this truck off my Mother-in-Law...

Oh and it's the intersection of property taxes, no savings from various stuff breaking around here, and needing to buy fuel oil for the winter...

Edited by niteowl7710

Well, I'm working in Puerto Rico this week. (Had no transportation issues so this isn't an airline rant)

I'm running a conference this week that starts with breakfast at 7am (which means I need to check it at 6:30am) and it runs through dinners ending late in the evening. The only free time we were supposed to have was this morning until 3pm when we opened our registration desk. The guy I'm running the conference for pings me at 8am... we need to go over a few things... and then we worked all the way until 3pm! Argh! So much for any chance of getting in a swim.

The worst part? We're surrounded by people on vacation! And it's hot as heck here!

I may have complained about this before but ran into the same problem yet again. Why do they insist on putting the employee with the worst English on the drive thru window ?

Also while I am at it....... what is so hard about using turn signals ??? Thanks, I feel better now. : )

TURN SIGNALS??? You've got to be kidding. Although I use mine all the time, MANY drivers are WAY too busy doing other things rather than use their turn signals. Why would they give anyone the courtesy of what they're gonna do in this "Hurray for me/FY" world? We're supposed to "guess" if the driver in front of us is going to change lanes or make a turn, as the driver has absolutely NO consideration for other drivers at all.

Ah, all four reasons why I don't appear on video! :)

My day? I thought I'd get ahead of the leaves and took my electric leaf blower out and got about 15 minutes into it and the sucker just died! I can get it to start, blow erratically for a few seconds and die. I check my records and I bought this Toro piece of junk this spring! It is still shiny and the vacuum bag and attachments are still in the box. I see it has a 2 year warranty so I'll be calling Toro's 800 number in the morning...

At least the Black and Decker ones lasted two years before they burst into flames!

Panhandlers lurking around parking lot "automated teller" structures.

Fortunately I noticed him scurrying over before I stuck my card into the machine...left asap but couldn't get away before I got the "sob story" about not eating in four days, seemed to be moving pretty spritely for not having eaten in four days.

Is there some secret guild of panhandlers in Arizona?

Sometimes I see them getting dropped off to their curb or median by a van.

It was sad to see homeless panhandlers in Puerto Rico. I was in San Juan and walked along Ashford Avenue, the happening part of town with the beach front hotels. The streets were lined with the unfortunate, none of them getting in your face, but just sitting there jiggling cups. The interesting part is many of them had dogs.

Okay... how I spent my afternoon....

I was away for a week and saw that fall had really happened in my absence.. the yard is full of leaves. So I got out my Toro electric blower / vacuum and started to blow off the back yard. I got about 15 minutes into it and the blower slowly slowed down and quit. Turning it off and on again would give a little blast and then it stopped. The thing just died. I checked my information and found a receipt telling me I bought it new in May. That's five months ago. I bought it in the spring when the last of three Black & Decker units actually caught fire. So I switched to Toro. Last spring I did the final spring blowing of what leaves were left from winter. And this was probably the third time I used it. Junk!

I check my Toro book and it has a two year warranty. So I call the good folks at Toro and got a woman who actually was American. She told me I could mail it to them at my own cost and wait a few weeks for them to look at it and possibly repair it. Or I could take it to their local authorized repair place, which was a town away. I opted for that. I get to this Toro dealer and they tell me that they don't do Toro electric tools. I tell the lady my plight and she tells me to take it back to Home Depot. Note that all my Toro info tells me not to do that. So I head to Home Depot.

At Home Depot the guy looks at my six month old receipt and I explain that it was used twice, the thing isn't even dirty and the vacuum bag is still neatly folded in the box. He agrees to issue me a store refund. Then I can buy a new one. I then explain that I used a Home Depot $5 off coupon and I want an even exchange so I'm not out that $5. He doesn't see why I'm arguing over $5, but gets his boss who tells me to go to the aisle and get one for even exchange. Of course once in the aisle, they don't have any. They tell me they have them in stock and rustle up a stock guy who goes out back and then comes back empty handed.

So they tell me there's another Home Depot 10 miles up the road. I know where it is. I tell them that I already had spent a half hour fighting with them and I don't want to go through that all over again. And can I be assured that they'll even have one? At least I was talking to a manager who said he'd call them. Another 10 minutes and he said that they had the thing in stock (note that the first store's inventory said they had them) and I'm off in the Tracker for the next Home Depot.

This time it went better. I got to the returns counter and my new one was sitting there. Still, three stops and about two hours of grief to rectify something that shouldn't have broke in the first place!