Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I've been waiting two plus months DD214 (military discharge paperwork) from the VA to see if my father qualifies for a veteran's nursing home. In digging through his files I actually found it! He enlisted right out of high school in 1955 (four months too late to qualify under Korea) and was discharged in 1963 (six months too soon to qualify under Vietnam). Although he has proof of deployment in Berlin during construction of the Wall, that doesn't count as 'hostile' territory.

My father has dementia and needs to be in a memory care unit

Rather than have to say it all,copied and pasted from my blog post today...

"Not that I think many will care enough to read this through (disclaimer–this is a rant, and a vent),but…..how are you and your family going to be spending Memorial Day?

Well,I am a Veteran who is disabled,and I will be spending it worried and afraid for my family’s future,preparing to watch them lose everything we own for the FOURTH TIME during this century (since 2000),sincerely and legitimately because of things that were/are completely beyond my control or because of what someone else does or causes.

Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif.,it seems,has some kind of personal vendetta against the attorney that I had chosen to work my SSA case several years ago. Somewhere down the line,he must have done something to tick her off somehow and somewhere imo,judging by the vindictiveness she has tenaciously attacked him with (note: the attorney may or may not be actually guilty of the things Ms. Speier claims,I do not,nor have I ever known anything above or beyond that he was my attorney picked from a phone book and had been recommended by a friend and what I have read in recent days).

How does this affect me (and who knows how many others like me)? While Ms. Speiers doesn’t give one rat’s hindend who she steps on or how many family’s lives she shatters in her quest,on this Memorial Day Weekend she has seen to it that this disabled Veteran of the US Army’s SSA benefits have been suspended pending investigation,simply because that attorney just happened to be the attorney that I pulled out of a phone book when I was pushed out of work in 2008.

Why should she care? She still has her millions,as well as her 6 figure income.

Nevermind that SSA’s OWN workers told the ALJ residing my case several times “there is no type of gainful employment that Mr. Sammons can work consistently enough to have reasonable expectation of holding a job”,nevermind the fact that medical records are there documenting everything,or that SSA’s OWN DOCTORS verified everything and agreed with the doctors who had pushed me out of work in 2008.

It would have been nice had at least they given us a month’s notice to appeal and fight this illegal injustice before our bills were to be due again,but they chose to do it on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND,as if a slap-to-this-Veteran’s face for his service,and less than 2 weeks before bills like house payment and primary vehicle payments will be due,sending us a notice that read “you have 10 days from the date this notice was mailed to dispute this decision”..mind you it took 4 days to receive,and was received on a holiday weekend (MEMORIAL DAY….)….nice.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend,Jackie Speier,at your beach house with your rich friends,while the US Army Veteran and his family (just one family in your wake of collateral damage in your quest to “get Mr. Conn back” for whatever he did to piss you off whenever it was) try to figure out which bridge they will set tent up under after everything is reposessed beginning next month (assuming the decision to “suspend benefits for re-evaluation” is made perminent). It’s not like we can expect family to step up or offer any help….after the house fire of ’11,none but my parents and 1 aunt/uncle/cousin even bothered to care enough to pick up the phone to call and ask “Are you alive,did you make it???”.

You know…it wouldn’t be so bad,if this wasn’t going to be the FOURTH time in the last 15 years that I will have to watch my family lose everything due to circumstances that were completely,and literally/legitimately beyond my control each time (when a co-worker had an accident that nearly killed me in 2001,mangling my spine for life–when doctors pushed me out of work due to those injuries in 2008 after a flare-up–a total property loss house fire in 2011…no one was home thankfully–and now because an attorney that I picked from the phone book may or may not have commited some crimes before and after my time with him).

As a side note,since we were not given any time to prepare for the bills coming due in >2 weeks,everything I own outright is for sale at much less that what I have invested…unused and dusty bicycles that I’m rarely able to ride (like a ’14 Surly Troll I spent $15-1600 to build,for $600 with under 200 miles on it for eg),any remaining RC gear (like my SCX10 Jeep with hundreds of dollars in upgrades that hasn’t been ran but twice this year for $500,all support gear,etc)…..I need to come up with close to what my benefits would have paid me on or before 6-3-15 (benefits which I EARNED and paid into since I was 15 years old BTW,not even counting my US Army service…) to cover our bills and give us a month to both fight this,or make other arrangements* if their final decision unfavorable.

*By “other arrangements”,I mean find the first job that I will work until I have my next spinal flare-up,when I’ll miss too many days,being unable to do my duties,and be fired,so weeks later when the flare-up ends,I can repeat the process again and again…

BTW….how come my research turned up that “Social Security” (you know…that money that all of us hard working,tax paying Americans PAID FOR) is “possibly within 18 months of being bankrupt” (which is something we here very frequently from the government,mind you),but I was able to find NOTHING ANYWHERE stating that welfare and unearned benefits of any kind are in danger of going under?

That I received a notice 4 days after it was mailed,after the end of business on the last day before a 3 day holiday weekend,a MILITARY REMEMBRANCE HOLIDAY mind you,tell me (a US Army Veteran in good standing) “youhave 10 days from the date this notice was sent to appeal this decision” tells me,they dont’ want me to have any chance of appeal,they only wanted to make it look on paper as if they had given me opportunity to do so. That it happens on a military remembrance holiday is a slap in my face for having selflessly served my nation from my government. I will not be silent about it.

Rant over,didn’t do any good or even relieve frustration…continue on with your BBQ’s and such" :(

Yeah......I'm sufficiently irked :angry:

Edited by Olskoolrodder

I've been waiting two plus months DD214 (military discharge paperwork) from the VA to see if my father qualifies for a veteran's nursing home. In digging through his files I actually found it! He enlisted right out of high school in 1955 (four months too late to qualify under Korea) and was discharged in 1963 (six months too soon to qualify under Vietnam). Although he has proof of deployment in Berlin during construction of the Wall, that doesn't count as 'hostile' territory.

My father has dementia and needs to be in a memory care unit

My Father in Law is 82, and is a Korean War Vet from 1952. He is starting to suffer from Dementia as well. His Family is goin through a process like this too, it is very stressful to say the least.

I was just at the Jewel/Osco Mom and I used to work at and just realized that based on how they did things we she left, they should have been closed nearly an hour before I started typing this, so I asked one of the ladies that Mom worked with (I had left by the time she started) what was going on, and apparently now they only close for Christmas! Those working still at least get time and a half (hourly pay+50% of that), but the store is open it's typical hours......so much for getting to spend holidays with your family..........

It's been like that for years Joe, many people who work in the retail business such as grocery stores, bars, restaurants, etc. get to work on holidays so the business can make money. When I was younger I worked in the retail food business and also as a bartender and worked on every holiday there is at least once. Somebody's got to do it.

sometimes we forget how many people it takes to support the lifestyle which we enjoy.

A very true statement. Every time you turn the lights on its because somebody is working. Think about all the hospitals, fire dept and police who always have to work...

Hmmm. It's been so long since I truly enjoyed anything, I'm beginning to seriously wonder why I continue with the pointless daily grind.

you're being given signs. how you interpret them is up to you.for 3 years prior to retiring i was having my life eroded away and nothing i did seemed to make me happy. i was drowning in sand. finally i looked around and made my escape plan. i have never looked back. everything "they" tell you is not based on your needs, but someone else's. make you choice - live your life or the life someone tells you to live?

They print it off and send you a copy. Not like it's an original or anything. It's seriously wacko-jacko. If I had anything anyone wanted, like any Atari manuals, record sleeve inserts, or old magazine articles, I'd scan them and send them free! It's paper! If they print it on gold paper with platinum ink, maybe I'd pay for it. I don't even know if the thing works in the first place... If I bought the manual and it didn't, it'd be $20 in the can for me, and then some for a new deck. :rolleyes:

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

welcome to the real world.

it's called "business".

it's paper, ink, product, and time.

why is it "their" fault if you don't know if "the thing" works?

or "their" problem?

what's a hobby for some is a business for others.

next time you go into a "hobby shop", ask the owner the last time he built one of his kits.

Too much to rebuke, too little time.

640px-Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png

I have to agree with that, for sure. :lol:

But...information has value, and though I agree it's a rip to stick you $20 for a few photocopied pages they didn't produce originally, and probably don't have any legal right to re-sell anyway, sometimes if you need stuff, you just gotta cough up.

Like the new avatar, by the way. :)

And it's for an old and obsolete technology...8 tracks haven't been sold new in what, 35 years? There are still people using them??

Cheap Trick's album The Latest was released in small numbers on 8-track.

I'm only interested in getting a working 8- or 4-track (maybe a dual-tape or 12-track deck) deck for interesting music. You can't find every album on CD or MP3 as easily as vinyl, cassette, 8-track... there's probably some music you could never find away from these formats. That's why I also have a reel-to-reel tape deck, which I meticulously recapped and cleaned throughout; it's all about preserving what is so easily lost.

I have to agree with that, for sure. :lol:

But...information has value, and though I agree it's a rip to stick you $20 for a few photocopied pages they didn't produce originally, and probably don't have any legal right to re-sell anyway, sometimes if you need stuff, you just gotta cough up.

Like the new avatar, by the way. :)

Yeah, it is true it's a business and all. Still, I could buy a different deck in better quality for around the same price. It came out of a console stereo and I'd have to make a case for it, anyways.

As for the picture, something about the 4 exhaust pipes instead of the more-common collector interested me. Maybe I'll make one like it in scale, or even better, in 1:1. B)