Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Harry Said: 

Went to the local Walmart today to pick up a few odds and ends. They have a new policy there.. there's an employee who stands by the doors and looks over your receipt before they let you leave.

Costco has always done that.  The employee looks at the receipt and then counts the items in your cart to make sure it matches.  Then they would mark your receipt with a yellow highlighter.  It was easier for them than Walmart since they don't bag things.

I guess they are combatting people who either add things to the basket after paying, or even people who unload their basket in their car and come back and duplicate it and walk out with a duplicate load that would match the receipt?   Shoplifters are a crafty bunch. It's a career for some!

Per stealing large items... I once knew a character who said it was very easy to steal TVs and such.  The plan?  Just walk out the front door like you bought it. He said that he even had store employees holding the door open for him. He said that even when the alarm went off, no employee would ever follow him.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

What "irked" me today was the price on a 1/2 oz. bottle of Testors Enamel paint at $3.99. With my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby it still cost me $2.57 "out the door." WOW! The price of poker has gone up.

Want to get really irked? Figure out the cost per quart or gallon. Better be sitting down.

The cost of "model paints" is completely off the charts. That's why I use anything but "model paints" whenever possible.

It's the same with Testors thinner/brush cleaner. Five bucks for a little glass bottle. I can get a quart of the stuff at the home center for less.

It is pretty crazy.  I really enjoyed working with Testors' Super-Fine Lacquer Primer, but I came to realize that since it comes packaged in the normal Model Master bottle but is pre-thinned for airbrushing, it is actually much more expensive than the regular Model Master paints when you look at the cost / coverage ratio.  I switched to working with decanted Krylon primers, but it's just not the same.  I may still use the Super-Fine Lacquer for special projects.

As far as thinners go, I buy in bulk whenever possible.  Home Depot enamel thinner for Testors enamels and Costco-size jugs of Windex for Tamiya and other water-based acrylics.  However, I've been hesitant to get lacquer thinner from Home Depot, as I've read the bulk stuff is really hot and can damage styrene very easily.

Just got home from Wal-Mart.  There was nobody checking receipts at the door.  Maybe the Illinois governor's were out shopping that day?

Can't be. They're all in jail! :lol:

Costco has always done that.  The employee looks at the receipt and then counts the items in your cart to make sure it matches.

Yeah, I can see that. But at Walmart, they don't look at the stuff in your cart! They look at the receipt, they look at you, then they hand you back your receipt and say "have a nice day." A completely useless exercise and a waste of everyone's time.

If they don't actually cross-check the receipt with the items in your cart (and they don't)... what the heck is the point?

BTW, Tom... that bit about buying a load of stuff, putting it in your car, then coming back into the store with your receipt and stealing a duplicate of everything is brilliant!

I gotta try that some time! :lol:

KIDDING!

I hate to admit this, but years ago I had a friend that had a "thing" for a certain brand of audio speakers for his car, but kept blowing them up. He'd remove the blown out pair, drive to the store, buy a new pair, switch them out in the car, then immediately get a refund on his most recent purchase, claiming they wouldn't fit in his car speaker openings. He did this for the better part of five years!

When my son was in his teens he worked at Menard's, which is a regional midwestern chain of home centers (same thing as a Home Depot or Lowe's)...

Anyway, he sometimes worked the returns counter, and he would tell me stories of people who would buy something, like a weed whacker or power saw or whatever, and then return it, after they had obviously used it for a particular job or project. But Menard's policy is "no questions asked," even when the customer is obviously returning an item they have used. The nerve of some people!

Harry said:

BTW, Tom... that bit about buying a load of stuff, putting it in your car, then coming back into the store with your receipt and stealing a duplicate of everything isbrilliant!

I gotta try that some time! :lol:  

You know how that goes Harry....  there are people who pull that on several times a day and get away with it.  You try it ONCE and you are snagged!  :P

When my son was in his teens he worked at Menard's, which is a regional midwestern chain of home centers (same thing as a Home Depot or Lowe's)...

Anyway, he sometimes worked the returns counter, and he would tell me stories of people who would buy something, like a weed whacker or power saw or whatever, and then return it, after they had obviously used it for a particular job or project. But Menard's policy is "no questions asked," even when the customer is obviously returning an item they have used. The nerve of some people!

Worse than that, sometimes the "customer" reseals the package with hot glue, so the store refunds the purchase price, than resells it as new stock. I bought what I though was a brand new, sealed circular saw one time, only to get home to discover sawdust and the paint worn off the blade. When I returned it, they looked at me as if I was trying to scam them. Very awkward.

I worked part time at a Sears Hardware store for several years.  A guy came in and bought the most expensive lawn tractor we had.  After summer was over and winter starting to settle in, he returned the well used tractor and bought the biggest snowblower we had.  Come Spring, he returned the snowblower and bought a tractor.  He was in that mode for several years.  Nothing store management could do with the big "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign hanging above the door.

We had the same thing here in California with Sears Lawn tractors. Every May 15 the CDF(Cal Dept of Forestry) would send out the brush clearance letters to rural land owners requiring them the remove the highly flammable Manzanita (the cause of most California Wild Fires). We would sell a bunch of lawn tractors and about 2 months later we would get most of them back just beat to hell. Sears finally go smart and instituted a computer return system and when they bought the third one, security would come out to the customer and give them an option. If you return this one your business will no longer be welcome. I use to love the look on some peoples face!

We had the same thing here in California with Sears Lawn tractors. Every May 15 the CDF(Cal Dept of Forestry) would send out the brush clearance letters to rural land owners requiring them the remove the highly flammable Manzanita (the cause of most California Wild Fires). We would sell a bunch of lawn tractors and about 2 months later we would get most of them back just beat to hell. Sears finally go smart and instituted a computer return system and when they bought the third one, security would come out to the customer and give them an option. If you return this one your business will no longer be welcome. I use to love the look on some peoples face!

I think it was abuses like this that penalized people like me, their very loyal hand-tool customers (I always preferred B&D or Milwaukee for small electrics,) and got rid of their Gauranteed Forever Craftsman hand-tools. 

Well, that and Sears is being run by idiots now.

Charlie Larkin

I think it was abuses like this that penalized people like me, their very loyal hand-tool customers (I always preferred B&D or Milwaukee for small electrics,) and got rid of their Gauranteed Forever Craftsman hand-tools. 

Charlie Larkin

Actually, that is not true.  Craftsman(not "Sears" brand or "Evo" both Sears Brands)  still have a lifetime guarantee on all "hand" tools. Hand meaning non-power manual tools. What went away was the "Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back".  Again, because of idiot abuse.  You can't own a dishwasher for 20 years(Yes I have seen that) and suddenly decide your not "Satisfied".  What I have seen and it annoyed the heck out of me were people coming in with buckets of burnt tools after a wild fire and exchanging them.  Sears still will do that but these people are beneath contempt.  I guarantee that they collected the insurance money on the tools and are getting new tools for free.  There are also scavengers going through burned out homes picking up burnt tools and replacing them only to turn around and sell them in the package at the swap meet. 

By the way, after working for Sears for 17 years, I have to agree about top management.  They have destroyed what was a great company!

My miserable EXwife would take our sons to a clothing store to "buy" suits or nice clothes for a wedding or special occasion, then after the event, she'd take the clothes back for a refund, saying they didn't fit.  She also did that with winter coats, jackets, etc., during brief cold spells.  

Allow me to disclaim that activity:  she never did it while we were married and never with my foreknowledge or consent.  I discovered the practice from 'informants' while we were divorced.  My boys told me she did that all the time with her own 'nice clothes.'  

Did I make it clear she was my EXwife?     Just one of the many reasons  . . .  :angry:

Charlie Larkin

Actually, that is not true.  Craftsman(not "Sears" brand or "Evo" both Sears Brands)  still have a lifetime guarantee on all "hand" tools. Hand meaning non-power manual tools. What went away was the "Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back".  Again, because of idiot abuse.  You can't own a dishwasher for 20 years(Yes I have seen that) and suddenly decide your not "Satisfied".  What I have seen and it annoyed the heck out of me were people coming in with buckets of burnt tools after a wild fire and exchanging them.  Sears still will do that but these people are beneath contempt.  I guarantee that they collected the insurance money on the tools and are getting new tools for free.  There are also scavengers going through burned out homes picking up burnt tools and replacing them only to turn around and sell them in the package at the swap meet. 

By the way, after working for Sears for 17 years, I have to agree about top management.  They have destroyed what was a great company!

I was always under the impression "Gauranteed Forever" meant that, and "lifetime" was for the life of the purchaser. I worked at Sears for a while in college, and remember seeing 40-50 year-old ratchets, screwdrivers, and whatever coming in, we'd exchange it, no questions asked. The ratchets were usually rebuilt unless they were so old, no parts were available, and I remember that happened a few times, or a similar one wasn't available in the rebuilds, in which case, we'd give them an all-new one, again, no questions asked. If someone wanted to keep a ratchet for some reason (shape, sentimental value,) our manager would give them a rebuild kit at no charge. 

In any event, any more Craftsman I buy will be the Pro line from the catalog, which at least is still made here and reminds me nicely of the Sears I grew up with, and the stuff I got from my grandparents and the older stuff my dad has. The only amelioration I have is that I'm not screwing anyone out of commission. They got rid of that when I was there in 2000. 

I agree with people and the dishwashers and other stuff like that. That is clearly an abuse. Our Kenmore dishwasher finally died a couple of years ago after sixteen years when one of the pegs on the dish-rack rotted and punctured the pump. We're going shopping this weekend for a new unit with Massachusetts' sales tax holiday, and we'll probably be getting another Kenmore in all likelihood. If the new dishwashers are even half as good, we'll be happy. This time, though, we're getting the Nylon racks to make sure there aren't any problems. 

Charlie Larkin

Charlie Larkin

I was always under the impression "Gauranteed Forever" meant that, and "lifetime" was for the life of the purchaser. I worked at Sears for a while in college, and remember seeing 40-50 year-old ratchets, screwdrivers, and whatever coming in, we'd exchange it, no questions asked. The ratchets were usually rebuilt unless they were so old, no parts were available, and I remember that happened a few times, or a similar one wasn't available in the rebuilds, in which case, we'd give them an all-new one, again, no questions asked. If someone wanted to keep a ratchet for some reason (shape, sentimental value,) our manager would give them a rebuild kit at no charge. 

In any event, any more Craftsman I buy will be the Pro line from the catalog, which at least is still made here and reminds me nicely of the Sears I grew up with, and the stuff I got from my grandparents and the older stuff my dad has. The only amelioration I have is that I'm not screwing anyone out of commission. They got rid of that when I was there in 2000. 

I agree with people and the dishwashers and other stuff like that. That is clearly an abuse. Our Kenmore dishwasher finally died a couple of years ago after sixteen years when one of the pegs on the dish-rack rotted and punctured the pump. We're going shopping this weekend for a new unit with Massachusetts' sales tax holiday, and we'll probably be getting another Kenmore in all likelihood. If the new dishwashers are even half as good, we'll be happy. This time, though, we're getting the Nylon racks to make sure there aren't any problems. 

Charlie Larkin

Here is the Craftsman hand tool Warrantee. "CRAFTSMAN HAND TOOL FULL WARRANTY
If this Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period. * "  Still the same warrantee it always was.  The * is for expendable items like filters etc. 

Charlie - I spent a lot of time in appliances and if I can make a suggestion.  The Kenmore dish washers are Whirlpools.  I would personally(and since I retired, I have no dog in this hunt) suggest looking at the Bosch dishwashers.  They are really top notch.  Far and away the quietest in each price range and they are built very well.  You had a problem with the rack rusting out, Bosch is the only company that welds the racks up, then hot dip galvanizes them and then puts the nylon coating on.  In all my time, I have never ever seen a Bosch with rusted racks.  They take getting use to because they have an internal water heater and the water gets well heated.  They also use the hot water to dry the dishes.  If you buy one, read the owners manual and understand how to get the most out of it.  Using them is different from what you are use to, but once you figure it out, they are the best.

Did not know that about the Bosch units. Figuring their power tools are top-drawer, it would figure their dishwashers are, too. 

I don't know if I can talk Dad into popping the extra coin for one of those- getting him to spend the extra $75 for the nylon racks in a Whirlpool/Whirlpool-made, or Frigidaire was like pulling teeth, and it's taken me nearly three years to get him to consent to that! Where I do the dishes and most of the cooking in the house, the racks is where I put my foot down. 

In all honesty, if we can get 8-10 years out of one of the new units (I've been told that's VERY optimistic, but we don't usually use the heated dry, which helps extend the life of the tub,) we'll be okay. To be frank, I doubt this house will be standing another 8-10 years. My next project is getting him to go along with building a house that isn't falling apart at the seams! Even if he doesn't and I have to handle disposition of property, I'll be selling a new house on this lot.

Charlie Larkin

I think some of them are hard wired to be that way. They make a commission on each sale, so they'll say/do almost anything to get you hooked. Been there afew months ago. I'll stick with my 159.000 mile Ranger.:D

What "irked" me today was the price on a 1/2 oz. bottle of Testors Enamel paint at $3.99. With my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby it still cost me $2.57 "out the door." WOW! The price of poker has go

My Rant and Rave today is cashiers went to a LHS been going there for years heck even know the manger well just on a hello when we see each other

They are a big Hobby Store mostly sell RC stuff some models but anyway went in there to buy some sanding sticks for $9.99 gave the the cashier a $100.00 bill and she short  changed me by $20.00 ? when i  showed her the incorrect change she just insisted i was in the wrong 

well like i told her if you had followed common sense ALWAYS count the  money out of your till and then  the RIGHT thing to do is ALWAYS count it back to the customer 

well I am to fricken old to stand there and argue with some 20yr old bimbo telling me she does this all day and makes no mistakes and trying to make me out to feel I am beating her out of $20.00  with customers in line 

Then to make matters worse some guy must have wanted to be her hero or wanted her phone number or something he just could not mind his own business and had to open his mouth to me so I had to shut him up real fast because that just piss me off.Now I am a fairy easy going kinda guy But Don't I mean Don't Call me a Lair and a Thief ? 

I made it Clear to the Manager iam not leaving till I prove my innocence and show that this cashier is indeed in the wrong and her behavior towards me is corrected 

Ha so after 20min or so after they counted the till yes they found the there was an extra $20.00 now remind you the store had open at 10:30am I was there at about 11:45am 

kinda Sad think that ....I don't know ..don't argue with the customer deal or maybe I don't look honest or $20.00 is shoplifting to them 

really very embarrassing for me and to think I thought I was going to have to slap jack some fool for getting in my face for defending some bimbo cashier 

Ok feel better now Thanks for letting me Rant

Nice day out side think I'll go wax the car and calm down ?

Don aka XJ6 ? 

Don, XJ6, when you are in the right, stand your ground..hiring stupid people is their problem, not yours..good job

Thanks it's all about integrity just not going to be assumed to be a lair and a thief ? and not be to be called one ?

Don aka XJ6 ? 

Edited by XJ6

My steak!  Today I went out to the garage refrigerator to get a new bottle of Coke.  I noticed that my wife had a steak defrosting (still in the freezer bag) on a plate in that refrigerator. Odd, she usually does that in the kitchen refrigerator.  So I'm thinking about this steak all day... almost grilled it for lunch.   My wife walks in and tells me we need to order pizza for dinner.  I remind her that she has a steak.... she tells me that steak is old and bad, got ruined when our freezer went warm recently...  and she took it out of the freezer because she keeps forgetting to throw it out.     Hmmmm...  no warnings... I almost had it for lunch!   :o