Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Have you ever been in a class room ?

As an "Overpaid" teacher ? 

What's wrong here, is your math. No teacher I know of has ever collected MILLIONS. This is no different than social security, YOU pay in , it's only fair You can enjoy the benefits

, while the last that is, if they stop taking money out for other things. 

Now just imagine if Doctors and nurses felt the same way? Police ? Fire fighters? 

Don't even get me started on the military ! Oh that's right I must have over looked, free clothing, free food, free medical, learn a useful trade, and of course travel to some of the nicest places in the world where the local population just adores you.

Don't get you started on the Military??? Mr. Myers, I don't have a knock against teachers, it is (or was) a noble carrier, and a pretty darned important one, but when you start lumping in the military as some kind of free loaders. I take SERIOUS offense to that Sir!!! There is NO teaching job on this planet that I've seen that require you to swear an oath and write the Government a blank check that can at any time be cashed for UP TO, and INCLUDING your LIFE!!! Yes, they get clothing and housing and food, but there is this truth that when one joins the military, YOU ARE GENERAL ISSUE. You are no longer an individual, you are Government property. No longer in control of your individual life. You don't get to call off when you have a bad day, or hit the snooze button and sleep in.You go where ordered, you fight where/when/ how you are ordered and there are no unions or committee's to argue the merits of this or that policy You are there to PRESERVE democracy, not PRACTICE it . The military is required to maintain its "equipment" i.e. troops, tanks, guns, bullets, bombs, ect... Your arguments over teaching matters is your own. I'm sure there's enough bad to balance out the good in your field as well, but as a vet, I don't appreciate being lumped into the "free loader" category. If I remember correctly, your a U.S. Navy veteran, As a vet, you should know better.:angry:

Edited by bismarck

The country needs Charlie Larkin for Secretary of Education...or someone very like him who accurately identifies the problems with the system as it is today, and its effects on the employability of its graduates, hence the economy. In Charlie's words "We have eliminated virtually all that is useful from education."

Just imagine the effect of hearing simple unvarnished truth come from a government orifice. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Pretty sure Greg was being ironic. :)

Maybe, but he needs to clarify.  He's a big boy. Lets hear what he has to say. If he is trying to be ironic, its in POOR taste. He can feel free to PM me on this matter if he would care to discuss it further, but I've said my peace. :angry:

Edited by bismarck

Don't get you started on the Military??? Mr. Myers, I don't have a knock against teachers, it is (or was) a noble carrier, and a pretty darned important one, but when you start lumping in the military as some kind of free loaders. I take SERIOUS offense to that Sir!!! There is NO teaching job on this planet that I've seen that require you to swear an oath and write the Government a blank check that can at any time be cashed for UP TO, and INCLUDING your LIFE!!! Yes, they get clothing and housing and food, but there is this truth that when one joins the military, YOU ARE GENERAL ISSUE. You are no longer an individual, you are Government property. No longer in control of your individual life. You don't get to call off when you have a bad day, or hit the snooze button and sleep in.You go where ordered, you fight where/when/ how you are ordered and there are no unions or committee's to argue the merits of this or that policy You are there to PRESERVE democracy, not PRACTICE it . The military is required to maintain its "equipment" i.e. troops, tanks, guns, bullets, bombs, ect... Your arguments over teaching matters is your own. I'm sure there's enough bad to balance out the good in your field as well, but as a vet, I don't appreciate being lumped into the "free loader" category. If I remember correctly, your a U.S. Navy veteran, As a vet, you should know better.:angry:

My point being, all th p ****** an moaning about the other subjects let's not forget the military as a tongue in cheek sarcastic inclusion. The Military is no different than the other groups in their deserving everything they get and more. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I was there. I lived my life as a service brat, my father was in the air force and we traveled the world, experiencing the "fine' DOD  provisions. I went to grade school in a quonset hut with a pot belly stove for heat. One year they had to bring in a huffer from the flight line for heat.

I served in the Viet Nam conflict. No I think the military today as yesterday and as many of our public servants are getting short shrift and a load of stereo typing BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH right here. Shame on you, those that go on and on about things you know little if  nothing at all, much less having no experience.

My point being, all th p ****** an moaning about the other subjects let's not forget the military as a tongue in cheek sarcastic inclusion. The Military is no different than the other groups in their deserving everything they get and more. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I was there. I lived my life as a service brat, my father was in the air force and we traveled the world, experiencing the "fine' DOD  provisions. I went to grade school in a quonset hut with a pot belly stove for heat. One year they had to bring in a huffer from the flight line for heat.

I served in the Viet Nam conflict. No I think the military today as yesterday and as many of our public servants are getting short shrift and a load of stereo typing BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH right here. Shame on you, those that go on and on about things you know little if  nothing at all, much less having no experience.

OK. You have my apologies on the negative reaction. I'm very proud AND protective of my status as a veteran, and ALL veterans for that matter. Yes, I agree with the public service sector getting the ye olde' screwgie . particularly during an election cycle. I served my time in the Green Machine, and I didn't feel like I was a free loader. I'm not qualified to speak on teaching matters, other than back in the day trying to drive afew of them nuts in class.  I served during the first Gulf War. 3rd Inf. Div. Combat Engineers. We can build stuff and blow it up with equal skill.:D

Have you ever been in a class room ?

As an "Overpaid" teacher ? 

What's wrong here, is your math. No teacher I know of has ever collected MILLIONS. This is no different than social security, YOU pay in , it's only fair You can enjoy the benefits

, while the last that is, if they stop taking money out for other things. 

Now just imagine if Doctors and nurses felt the same way? Police ? Fire fighters? 

Don't even get me started on the military ! Oh that's right I must have over looked, free clothing, free food, free medical, learn a useful trade, and of course travel to some of the nicest places in the world where the local population just adores you.

I would say that NYC public school teachers are overpaid for what the students get out of the classroom. Check out their salary schedule. The joker in the deck is that a rookie cop makes less than a first year teacher. NYC teachers' pensions aren't based on what one pays in. They're based on years on the job. Check out the pensions here. From that list, I'd say your math is definitely wrong. Maybe you associate with the wrong teachers because that list contains a whole lot of  teachers who collected MILLIONS after retiring, including a good number working on their THIRD million only fifteen years after retiring. A regular patrol officer or firefighter won't even come close to those numbers.

Shame on you, those that go on and on about things you know little if  nothing at all, much less having no experience.

By experience, I am a vet. My knowledge of civil service comes from the fact that my brother-in-law is a retired cop, my nephew is a bus driver and my niece is a public school teacher. Additionally, I can read.

for what the students get out of the classroom

interesting thing here, education is more than what goes on in the classroom., it does take a little participation on the students part as well as the parents. You would be surprised how few parents take part in any after school activities, including teacher conferences on how well the student is doing "IN" class.  

When I was a kid still in grade/ middle school, we were little MONSTERS in class. At least I thought we acted that bad, and the teachers back in the day prob. would have whole heartedly agreed with me, but kids now are expected to learn so much more, and at ever earlier ages, they don't seem to have time to be "kids" anymore. And some of the stories you see and hear about of some of the nasty things kids do now in school is beyond shocking. Looking at it from that perspective, I would myself probably go in another direction for a vocation. Teachers aren't allowed to "teach" anymore like they did back in the day.

Edited by bismarck

I honestly feel the whole thing went in the can when "Welcome Back Cotter" first aired. I could see it in my classes and my wife's grade school classes as well.

Another milestone (?) if you will, "The Simpsons".

"I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you ?" :huh:

interesting thing here, education is more than what goes on in the classroom., it does take a little participation on the students part as well as the parents. You would be surprised how few parents take part in any after school activities, including teacher conferences on how well the student is doing "IN" class.  

With the exception of first and second grades, my son has attended parochial school since Pre-K. Why? Because the curriculum in NYC public schools is substandard. Through eighth grade, public school students are two years behind academically students who attend private/parochial schools. When he was in first grade in public school, his teacher thought it was more important to write their thoughts explaining why Obama was a great president instead of teaching them arithmetic and vocabulary. BTW, that assignment was given to the class the day after Election Day in 2008. I went to the school and told the teacher, parent coordinator and principal that my kid is going to school to get an education, not to be politically indoctrinated. I also informed these stooges that under no circumstance will he complete that nonsense.

As a student, one can only work with what you are given. The school didn't have money in its budget to purchase textbooks for the students; yet, had $21,740 to pay for pilates instructors so the teachers could unwind after an arduous 5 hour 30 minute day in the trenches. Also, no amount of parental participation can overcome the ineptitude of the teacher(s) and sub-standard curricula. If a teacher doesn't teach, students can't learn. 

Kinda like going to the doctor and expecting him to prescribe the magic pill to fix what ever ails you. You have to participate, diet, exercise, rest, etc.

You are generalizing. Not all school systems are equal. That analogy isn't apropos regarding NYC public schools.  The Dept. of Education is virtually run by the United Federation of Teachers. The UFT has more control than one would expect from a union. The union is in the bag with Mayor Bill de Blasio. The union contributed $4.7 million in 2014 to political activities, most of which was to support de Blasio's agenda against charter schools and to block a plan to provide tax benefits to aid parochial schools. The only things that public school teachers are concerned with are protecting their turf, getting tenured and collecting that pension cheese. If a teacher is charged with misconduct, he/she isn't fired. It's impossible to fire a tenured teacher in NYC. They are placed into reassignment centers, aka "rubber rooms", where they spend 6 hours 20 minutes a day sleeping, listening to music, doing crossword puzzles and collect full salary, sometimes for years. All this goof off time is counted toward their pensions. So, save that sob story about the overworked and underpaid teachers. The bums in my city aren't earning a thin dime of what they get paid.

Edited by SfanGoch

I honestly feel the whole thing went in the can when "Welcome Back Cotter" first aired. I could see it in my classes and my wife's grade school classes as well.

Another milestone (?) if you will, "The Simpsons".

"I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you ?" :huh:

That wasn't the cause of the breakdown in education. "Welcome Back, Kotter" was based on Gabe Kaplan's high school experiences as a remedial class student in the late '50s and early '60s. The character types in the show have been around in NYC schools since the early days of this city. "Blackboard Jungle", from 1955, was one of the first films to highlight the growing problem of juvenile delinquency and gangs. Irving Shulman's "The Amboy Dukes", which I mentioned in another thread, was novel written about street gangs in 1947. Shulman also wrote a novelization of "West Side Story", which was about gangs and was published in 1961. Place proper credit where it belongs, in the laps of teachers. The problem started when teachers unionized and were more concerned with their own self-interests at the expense of their obligations and duties as educators. Political activism to further a self-serving agenda is literally far more rewarding.

Edited by SfanGoch

My wife is a Teacher, she went back to school in her 40's taking out numerous student loans to get her teaching degree and a secondary in Special Ed.  Previously she had worked as a paraprofessional for seven years for a school district.   She found a job in a very remote location in Montana at a "One Room" schoolhouse grade K-8. She currently has seven students - we have been here for two years and her contract was terminated due to the school board does not want to offer a Teacher tenure. (but they do not tell you this) When she Interviewed for the position I was there as we would be living on location in a two bedroom apartment connected to the school.  The gave us their big smiles and said "We really have been hoping to find someone that will stay" , claiming that others could not handle the remote location and being 40 miles away on dirt road to the nearest town.   If they had said this was a two year job only , that would of made a big difference in our decision to come here.  They tell you that "we hope you like our community and will stay"  what a crock.

Sad thing is these kids have no stability for learning as there is a two year turnaround on teachers.  And beings that two sets of students have parents on the school board - what kind of example are they setting for their children ? 

So here we are with little over a week from school being out without her having a job or even a place to live. 

Well, that explains the condition. Never hire old dead guys as contractors.   

Yeah, dead guys aren't exactly the best builders. They pretty much just lay around the job site...

sometimes they get stiff on the job too !