Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Been a rough few days over here. Lost three people this last week. One early 50's the other two not even 40.  Today  I was outside picking up leaves come in the house to find out through Face Book a good friend of mine past away this morning. Just a couple weeks shy of 50. This needs to stop now. 

Sorry for your loss Andy...

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this is my fault. Or at least that will be the consensus.

I went to a model club meeting Saturday night. Only problem was that the address I had from the club roster was no longer correct. I found out that if I had known to scroll down on the club's website meeting page they had the correct address, but I didn't. So I wasted gas and money (buying food for the meeting) which I don't have.

And I wasn't the only one, as while I was driving back and forth in front of the incorrect house I saw one other guy who apparently was doing the same thing, as he stopped in front of the house and was looking at a sheet of paper which I am assuming was printed directions.

After hanging out in the neighborhood for half an hour thinking maybe I was just too early ( I wasn't ) I went home.

The club could have put on the website in a spot that was really obvious a note saying that the roster address for this meeting was incorrect and you need to scroll down the page for the correct address. Or better yet, an email reminding everyone that the address for this meeting was not the roster address. I don't know, maybe I am expecting too much.

Oh, well. last meeting I will be trying to attend.

Russ

Edited by russosborne

The last 3 days of work. I had to strip and reletter two trucks, one I originally lettered and one from someone else. The truck I originally lettered was ruined because no matter how many times you tell them not to pressure wash it, it falls on deaf ears. After getting my "you know what's" busted about doing a poor job that didn't stick, I asked "If I did such a poor job, why did it just take me 5.5 hours to remove it? I then asked why after doing their lettering since the 80's was there two trucks in the yard (one being the one I finished today) lettered by someone else? Amazingly the owner didn't know, his son didn't know, nor did the girl who writes the checks. In the end it winds up someone was trying to save money and it's bit them in the butt as I know they now have no loyalty to my service. The guy who did the lettering that was falling off is now out of business, I wonder why?

So back to the job, the shop is heated by a gigantic bullet heater, so I get to breathe diesel fumes all day. On top of that, the thermostat on it is broken, so if I want anything near consistent heat I need to go turn it on and shut it off every 15 -30 minutes. When you shut it off, you get blasted with a huge cloud of unburned fuel. Just what I want, oily diesel fumes aimed at my paint. Oh yeah, it kicks off every now and then, so you have to go hit the reset button too. Did I mention everyone who walks through the man door leaves it open? I had to go to the store to get more oven cleaner to remove the last of the lettering. I was gone less than 12 minutes and come back to the garage door wide open. This was right after I explained that the oven cleaner won't work unless it's warm.

On top of all this, there seems to be a power struggle between the owner, and his son and the girl in the office. This comes back to me, as one wants one phone number on the truck and I think you can figure out the rest. A couple of months ago the girl behind the desk told me to put the new number on the truck I was doing at the time, then the owner, who called me to do the job tells me to put the old number on. So I do what he says and the girl in the office starts giving my guff about it. I told her I want no part of the power struggle they've got going on and I'm doing what the person who hired me wants. Well now she gives me the cold shoulder when I go there.

I'm about 1/2 way through painting today's truck when the son comes out and asks about the phone number going on the next truck, I told him his dad want's the old number, and seeing as he hired me, I think that's what should go on it. He then tells me he's paying for it and doesn't care what his dad wants. I asked him if we could all get together on this and come to a conclusion. "Just put the new number on it" he says. I told him I don't want to come down to letter a truck and be in the middle of this, please settle it. He told me "so then don't come down". It was everything I had to not throw a punch.

I go back to lettering and now the heater dies., the temp drops immediately as it's a drafty garage and wind chills today are around 7 degrees. I finish as fast as I can as paint and cold don't mix.

Now the topper to the last couple of days, the girl who writes the check walks out as I'm writing the bill up. I didn't think much of it as the son's wife was there and I figured she would write the check. Nope, she has no authority, but tells me the other girl will be back at 2. I tell her "It's 12:20 and I live an hour away, what am I supposed to do for an hour and a half? No answer.

So, how was your day?

Edited by Psychographic

The last 3 days of work...So, how was your day?

Sounds like life in the service biz. I now work primarily as a self-employed subcontractor to established hot-rod, custom and restoration shops, and in many cases, it's much the same as what you describe.

Even when I have a good 1:1 relationship with the car owner (and supply all my own parts and materials), quite often a shop will try to end-run around me to try to squeeze a couple more nickels out of a part (and in the process, ignore the research I've done and get the WRONG part...but hey...it's cheaper!).

I get so sick of the BS and antics like you describe above, there are people I simply won't work for anymore. I also try to get everything in writing, signed work-orders detailing the work in depth, and if somebody wants me to do something halfassed or just flat wrong, I just tell 'em "no".

Sounds like life in the service biz. I now work primarily as a self-employed subcontractor to established hot-rod, custom and restoration shops, and in many cases, it's much the same as what you describe.

Even when I have a good 1:1 relationship with the car owner (and supply all my own parts and materials), quite often a shop will try to end-run around me to try to squeeze a couple more nickels out of a part (and in the process, ignore the research I've done and get the WRONG part...but hey...it's cheaper!).

I get so sick of the BS and antics like you describe above, there are people I simply won't work for anymore. I also try to get everything in writing, signed work-orders detailing the work in depth, and if somebody wants me to do something halfassed or just flat wrong, I just tell 'em "no".

And everybody thinks being self employed is so great.:blink:  The thing that annoys me the most is lack of loyalty to someone who has provided you with years of service. This means a lot to me and the few long time customers I do have, had the benefit of me not raising my rates to them in ages. I think this was the "Straw the broke the camel's back". Screw everybody, my rates are going up.

In years past, there is a good chance I would have walked out in the middle of the job. Unfortunately work is slow and I can't afford to be the arrogant ass I used to be.

Bill, this should sound familiar or similar to what you go through. On the way home, i stopped to follow up on a call from a body shop. It seems they have a customer who wants the word "Believe" on one door about 3/4-1" tall and 4-5" long. They asked for color sketches. i explained to the girl at the shop, that to do sketches would turn a simple $25 job, to $100. I was asked why, to which I replied,  "I have to take the time to draw them up, drive over with the sketches and drive home, this with no guarantee that they will even have me do the job." At least it made sense to her.

Edited by Psychographic

At least they haven't switched to vinyl lettering.

I actually do some of the stuff in vinyl, phone number, DEP numbers, and such. I do try to stick with paint as much as possible for the main layout. I specialize in airbrush lettering, so doing the lesser copy in vinyl doesn't bother me. Stuff like numbers are monotonous to paint.

I actually do some of the stuff in vinyl...

... I can't remember the last time I saw a real sign painter.

A semi-friend of mine was a really gifted freehand sign painter. When the market began to turn to mostly vinyl lettering jobs, he bought the equipment and went in that direction. Then almost everybody in this market seemed to be hell-bent on wraps, and he threw in the towel.

Now, he makes his living as a process-server for the sheriff's department.

A semi-friend of mine was a really gifted freehand sign painter. When the market began to turn to mostly vinyl lettering jobs, he bought the equipment and went in that direction. Then almost everybody in this market seemed to be hell-bent on wraps, and he threw in the towel.

Now, he makes his living as a process-server for the sheriff's department.

The biggest problem in signpainting, oops I guess it's signprinting now, is the lack of knowledge of what it takes to make a good layout. For the most part, what I see is a new breed of sign makers that grew up with photoshop and think filters are the greatest thing in the world. So lets add a diamond plate filter, some fire, and whatever else they have, and forget about a readable sign.

I tried that hand painting stuff but really only pinstriping. I bought a kit that came with 5 cans of One Shot paint, oil for brushes, dagger brushes and video and instructions. Never could get the hang of it and just ended up using the tape that you lay down and the paint over and remove and have a good stripe. Not what I had planned on doing but at least it wasn't money totally wasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Not today but this past week. My wife and I are both retired and receive Social Security. As you may know, there was a small, and I mean SMALL, increase this year for the first time in about 3 or 4 years. So what do they do? They raise the medicare insurance premiums the same amount as the raise. Sure glad we aren't dependent on just SS. I feel sorry for those that are.

Not today but this past week. My wife and I are both retired and receive Social Security. As you may know, there was a small, and I mean SMALL, increase this year for the first time in about 3 or 4 years. So what do they do? They raise the medicare insurance premiums the same amount as the raise. Sure glad we aren't dependent on just SS. I feel sorry for those that are.

Yeah...... Unfortunately, I am one of those people...  I'm able to get by on it though, along with my wife's SS and the small income from her job.   I'm just waiting to see if those wonderful people in Congress will vote themselves another whopping salary increase in the new year......  Poor guys can't make on their 6 figure salaries and their medical benefits and pensions...:angry: 

• 2 weeks later...

So today I get a call that a long time friend was killed in a headon collision today. The other car went left of center. 

I'm sorry about all the loss you have had over the last two months. It's never easy to lose people we care for.

However if you remember them and talk to others about them, they are never truly gone.

Edited by GrumpyGrowly

• 2 weeks later...

The local school system passed a tax levy to build a new school replacing three schools the district has let deteriorate to the point its cheaper to replace.  The location of the new school will need to have the road widened to accommodate the additional traffic.  When the city council was asked what the traffic study recommended, it was announced one was never done!  

My tax dollars at work!!!!!!

The local school system passed a tax levy to build a new school replacing three schools the district has let deteriorate to the point its cheaper to replace.  The location of the new school will need to have the road widened to accommodate the additional traffic.  When the city council was asked what the traffic study recommended, it was announced one was never done!  

My tax dollars at work!!!!!!

That sounds just like things I see in my town. There are 5 or 6 housing complexes going up within a mile or two near me, bringing at least several thousand new residents. No new schools are being built. 20 years ago I had to put my kids on a waiting list because the school 2 blocks from me was full.  I cannot imagine what parents are doing now.  All the city council, and lousy mayor care about is revenue. We elected a new mayor last year, so many of us are hoping she fulfills her campaign promise to let no new housing into the city. 

Found out today that a former coworker at the HTU I was at gave a customer my cell number without doing anything to ask me first!  Since I didn't have his number, I sent him a PM via a R/C forum to not do that again and I must be asked first and just texted the guy who replaced me as a surpervisor to make sure that if he hears anything, that it doesn't get done again.  I'm going to mention it to the store owners after I hear back from said former coworker.