Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Reading this post of the forum brought back a memory that I remember very well. I was working out of town and was on my way back home from a long day at work. The road was a 4 lane with 2 lanes each way. Came upon a car that was in the passing or fast lane as they call it. He was going 15 mph below the speed limit and what shocked me was he was reading a newpaper covered over the steering wheel and every now and then he would look up to make sure he was still in the lane. Every attemp to make him move over or put the paper down was useless. Finally had to move over to the right lane and pass. Idiot no doubt.

Well, just as I had thought/expected, I got the "thanks but no thanks" email today from the place I interviewed at a week ago.

I turn 58 this weekend, and I am really starting to think my age is killing any hope of a job. guess I need to get the spending down to where we can live with no job for me until I can get Social Security. My wife is already on disability so no hope of her bringing in more money. Problem with that is we are already just about at a bare bones level.

Russ

Reading this post of the forum brought back a memory that I remember very well. I was working out of town and was on my way back home from a long day at work. The road was a 4 lane with 2 lanes each way. Came upon a car that was in the passing or fast lane as they call it. He was going 15 mph below the speed limit and what shocked me was he was reading a newpaper covered over the steering wheel and every now and then he would look up to make sure he was still in the lane. Every attemp to make him move over or put the paper down was useless. Finally had to move over to the right lane and pass. Idiot no doubt.

I've seen a guy drivin' an 18 wheeler with a newspaper over his steering wheel, and another driver doin' a crossword puzzle over his steering wheel while drivin' and even had the dome light on so that he could see. Our highways are not safe anymore and haven't been for years, and now with iPhones, and other high tech gadgets it is even WORSE.

Well, just as I had thought/expected, I got the "thanks but no thanks" email today from the place I interviewed at a week ago.

I turn 58 this weekend, and I am really starting to think my age is killing any hope of a job. guess I need to get the spending down to where we can live with no job for me until I can get Social Security. My wife is already on disability so no hope of her bringing in more money. Problem with that is we are already just about at a bare bones level.

Russ

I applied to be a "greeter" at Walmart in Honolulu about seven years ago and haven't heard back from them as yet, oh well?

Today was one of those days when i just should have stayed in the bed all day
Was out walking in the woods, slipped on a loose rock and fell in to a swampy area next to the path i was walking on..
Later was talking to a friend of mine with the front passengerdoor open on my jeep and had my right hand on b-pillar.
Then a stong windgust comes and slams the door on to my hand, my friend though it was hilarious, me not so much..
Then i decided that i should probably do atleast one adult thing today by hanging up a framed picture on the wall and ended up hitting the thumb of my left hand that i was using to hold the nail i was going to use with the hammer...

Russ

As a suggestion. The companies that provide drivers for Valley Metro are hiring, even to the point of having seen a couple of billboards for them. With the expansion of routes and the increase in frequencies and time of service they're really needing people.  You do have to be able to get a CDL class B and a clean 44 month MDV record. You have to take the written test on your own out of pocket after they decide to hire you; but they put you through their own training for the driving test with their instructors and you're on the payroll while doing it. I didn't really like it all that much since I can't stand most people in mass; but survived almost 15 years. Transdev was the company I worked for, much better (and pays better) then First Transit the other company that provides drivers.

Thanks guys.

Trying not to give up, but being as I am seriously depressed at the best of times it is hard. Having to start over at my ages flat out sucks, which is another whole issue. Seems most places/hiring folks aren't willing to even try an older person for entry level jobs. My last job (the one that they cancelled the shift I was on due to over production) I only got because they did mass hiring expecting most to fail. Funny thing was I was succeeding in the area I was at. Oh, well.

Might be having to try Walmart or Hobby Lobby soon. I stocked shelves at Target in the past, but that was way past. Like 25 years ago. Have serious doubts that I can stand on my feet for any length of time (back to the health issues).

Re the CDL, I can't pass the physical. Several conditions that eliminate me before I even try. Some of the simplest sounding driving jobs require a CDL, which is how I found out I can't pass the physical. But it was a good idea.

Russ

I cant say I have noticed any issues or had to use any sort of "work arounds" to get Ebay to work, it just does.

I guess there are many definitions of what "works".

The site is extremely bloated with unneeded functionality and hard to navigate. Don't get me started on the searches.  I wish we could go back about 12 years. At that time eBay was simple and easy to navigate.  I used to spend a lot of time there back then - now I mostly avoid it. They also try very hard to become another Amazon with the type of listings they now allow.  No more being a worldwide flea market - it is mostly full-time professional sellers.

Edited by peteski

I guess there are many definitions of what "works".

The site is extremely bloated with unneeded functionality and hard to navigate. Don't get me started on the searches.  I wish we could go back about 12 years. At that time eBay was simple and easy to navigate.  I used to spend a lot of time there back then - now I mostly avoid it. They also try very hard to become another Amazon with the type of listings they now allow.  No more being a worldwide flea market - it is mostly full-time professional sellers.

I just dont see what you are complaining about eh,  but being fair, I dont spend a ton of time on Ebay , so maybe that is why.    I was mistaken, there is one issue that I do have from time to time,  the watch button on the search results page doesnt work,  so I have to go into the listing and hit the watch it button.

Edited by martinfan5

I belong to a site that watches the online industry so I read a lot about eBay.  They have spent most of their time and resources chasing Amazon and have abandoned the collectibles market that gave them their start.  They play games with listing visibility, hiding listings from smaller sellers and putting instant and unexplained limits on how many items they can list, and taking away their discounts and ability to list because of bad feedback from unreasonable people.  They penalize sellers who don't ship instantly and charge fees on the postage charges as they pressure all sellers to offer free shipping.   I haven't sold there for years and won't.  And I take pity on the sellers that I buy from and make sure I give them great feedback.

Upper management. I usually don't like to criticize anyone, but the ones at my job make me want to start drinking again. I'm already living an unhealthy lifestyle( drinking three redbulls a day doesn't help, either), I'm always irritable, have very high stress, and have severe depression at times. Maybe it's time to find another profession. The very least my boss could do besides stand around and stare at you and smoke cigarettes is to make sure I have what I need to perform my job. Having to piece together equipment and computers every day gets really old really fast. Every day, I'm at least an hour behind having to wait for dayshift to finish up so a forklift becomes available. So, I guess I'm looking for another job this weekend. Wish me luck.

This is why people don't take the time to get involved!!!!!!!!!

My father's nursing home violated HIPAA when they told his brothers that he had passed away.  I explicitly told the administration NO ONE is to be told but they spilled the beans less than 24 hours after this directive.  I filed a complaint with the Department of Health & Human Services who took their time before reaching out asking for me to prove I was Dad's care giver so I e-mailed the POA.  In less than a week I received a letter today that they 'investigated' and determined there was a violation but will defer to the nursing home's to resolve the matter through their technical resistance.  So basically their own system breaks down to allow them to violate Federal law and they get to investigate themselves?  Seriously???

It was noted if another violation comes up at this home, it MAY get investigated.  WTH....are they on double secret probation like the movie Animal House???

This is why people don't take the time to get involved!!!!!!!!!

It was noted if another violation comes up at this home, it MAY get investigated.  WTH....are they on double secret probation like the movie Animal House???

At least they didn't warn you that if another violation charge came from you, you could be liable for harassment.

I wasn't looking for a head on a platter but I expected more of an investigation than I get from my ten year old looking for his school backpack that he just stepped over.

Maybe a nice letter to your Congressman explaining the problem with a time line and how long it took for the agency to react would help. Your Congressman probably isn't doing anything anyway and would welcome the opportunity to do something constructive to help one of their constituents back home.   

Not sure I would say I'm "irked," but it's my first day back at work after two weeks of vacation. 

First time in two weeks I've worn anything but a tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops. Now I'm in a shirt and tie. 

Despite that, it does feel good to be back.

Not today, but the entire weekend:lol:, my two cases of NASCAR kits have been "out for delivery" aka just sitting on the truck for the entire weekend

zL73Yv0.jpg

At least they weren't delivered to the wrong house, as happened with a package of mine a couple weeks back.  It was a small package, would have fit through the mail slot in the side of my house that dumps directly into the hallway.  I checked the tracking right after lunch, saw it as "delivered", and immediately went home to find it wasn't there.  The delivery time shown was a good two to three hours earlier than when I get my mail on a typical day.  Went to the post office, got the typical "we'll look into it" non-answer.  I don't want to go back a third time because then they might start "losing" other mail out of spite...

Work today I went 70 miles west for a planned job, while there another service call went through at the same store no biggie I'm there take the money all's good, so I turned the other man there loose to go start on the next planned job, reset controls on the service call a.c. unit look over and see probably 5 gallons of oil on the roof another a.c. unit blew a line spent the next couple hours putting 200# off oil dry on the mess and missed the call I wanted..... would have been about 6 hours work but almost 9 hours pay. Argh but hey I was getting paid!

Microsoft updates.

Lately, whenever Tinylimp updates itself, it destabilizes several other applications and creates odd behavior that can be maddening...especially when it occurs in the middle of actually trying to DO something on the computer.

Occasionally the problem is so severe that only uninstalling and reinstalling the app in question will clear the problem.

Microsoft updates.

Lately, whenever Tinylimp updates itself, it destabilizes several other applications and creates odd behavior that can be maddening...especially when it occurs in the middle of actually trying to DO something on the computer.

Occasionally the problem is so severe that only uninstalling and reinstalling the app in question will clear the problem.

Agree, but at least I somehow managed to get mine to only update when I'm shutting down. The problem then is it doesn't let you know there is an update until you start to shut down, then you're stuck as you're trying to go to bed or head out the door for an appointment.

Agree, but at least I somehow managed to get mine to only update when I'm shutting down. The problem then is it doesn't let you know there is an update until you start to shut down, then you're stuck as you're trying to go to bed or head out the door for an appointment.

Yes, I agree with that too...though I wasn't referring to the actual updating process disrupting work. I'll often shut down the machine as a t-storm is approaching, having been zapped by a line spike before. Waiting for a damm update to do its thing in that scenario can be a little annoying too.

HOWEVER...

The most recent update has fooled with the functionality of several NON-Microsoft programs...somehow...which only became apparent well AFTER the update, like DAYS after, when I tried to use the programs.