Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Well, although I'm one of those oddballs who likes winter, and loves the snow, we got our first blast of winter over the past 24 hours. And although my garage is insulated, it's not heated, so painting models is going to be a challenge for a while. So for the next few months, every time we go see my parents, I need to bring a car body or two and use my dad's spray booth. 

That sounds convenient to use your dad's spray booth. I don't have room for a spray booth, however a good buddy of mine invited me over to use his when I need to. Guess I might take him up on the offer this winter, we'll see?

Gearbox went out on my car, good thing I bought a parts car a couple of weeks back though...

Good for you!

Reminds me of a story... back when my daughter drove the '95 Celica Convertible daily,  she had an accident and I managed to buy a matching red parts car.  I used the left door and fender, and stripped down the rest of the car before hauling it away.   I had a guy come and buy the front parts...  rubber bumper, headlights... everything up front.  But he decided not to buy the hood because it had a small spot of surface rust.

The very next day my daughter had a mishap where her hood flew up at highway speed and totally destroyed itself!   And I had a hood!

Rats. As soon as it gets cool, the little buggers start getting in the back shop. Then they gnaw the weatherstrip under the door and get in the house. I heard little scufflings and thumps late last night, so I got up and set traps. Got two in less than an hour. Got 4 more since 5 this evening.

Even though I feed the 2 feral cats that live under the house just enough to keep them around, it seems they can't quite keep up with the rodent population.

Funny thing is, I honestly love just about all animals. First few times I had rat problems, I used live traps and took them out in the country to release.

Then when I moved last time, I found most of the photos and souvenirs from my childhood and youth rat-shredded, soaked in urine, and covered in feces.

Now, I just kill 'em. But I say "sorry".

I had roof rats invade the space over my single story apartment in Phoenix.

at night I would here them stampeding back and forth and fighting, I think one got stuck in the heating side of the crappy air conditioning system...when winter came and I turned the heat on, the smell of burning dead rodent was awful.

I learned to check my pans before cooking after putting a pan on the stove that had been peed on.

I don't miss that apartment at all.

The last Concert I went to Buddy Guy opened for Jeff Beck. I went to see Buddy Guy and he was awesome. The problem was the parking was a joke and the people around us in their mid to late 50's and 60's were smoking the skunk weed so much I could taste it on my lips. This was an outdoor concert last summer. Price was right though. 

I have had Rat problems in the past also. Just go to any hardware store and buy a few boxes of Dicon and place them around any openings to the outside. If you have cats or dogs I wouldn't use it since it is very powerful.     

The massacre in a Texas church this morning. What is this world coming too, where no one is SAFE anywhere?

Unfortunately no - no place is safe or sacred anymore.  That is why many Americans yearn to go back to the good ol' days.  But the Pandora's box has been open and we cannot put things back to the way they were.  Going to my workshop and working on models (and listening to the music of my choice) makes me forget about the outside world for a while.

Unfortunately no - no place is safe or sacred anymore.  That is why many Americans yearn to go back to the good ol' days.  But the Pandora's box has been open and we cannot put things back to the way they were.  Going to my workshop and working on models (and listening to the music of my choice) makes me forget about the outside world for a while.

Same here Peter.  I feel safe in my shop, but worry about the walk back to the house.

Same here Peter.  I feel safe in my shop, but worry about the walk back to the house.

I will refrain from making a comment that could be interpreted as "political'.

However, from reading the news reports, I see it was an armed civilian who initially engaged the subject, and gave chase.

Not an irk but fits what's being said I have a neighbor who knocks on my shop door and I told him he didn't need to do that just come in and he said no I read the sticker on your door that says this place belongs to an armed American citizen and nothing in here is worth you life and I think it's better to knock well he stopped by again and knocked I just laughed!!! Lol

vince

I will refrain from making a comment that could be interpreted as "political'.

However, from reading the news reports, I see it was an armed civilian who initially engaged the subject, and gave chase.

Sounds pretty political to me. Now if there were regulations in place, or its sounding like in this case, even if the few pitiful regulations that exist had been followed that he wouldn't have been allowed to buy the weapons.

Not an irk but fits what's being said I have a neighbor who knocks on my shop door and I told him he didn't need to do that just come in and he said no I read the sticker on your door that says this place belongs to an armed American citizen and nothing in here is worth you life and I think it's better to knock well he stopped by again and knocked I just laughed!!! Lol

vince

You wouldn't want me in your shop anyway, but with that sign don't worry I wouldn't be coming in anyway.

No snow yet in NE Ohio, but it was below freezing last night, I think.    Going to have a high of 30 tomorrow.   I'm ready for winter, though.  Boots, heavy coats, new tires for my Jeep, snow shovels...I didn't need a snow blower when I was here in February for 3 weeks, so I think a shovel should suffice, my driveway is pretty flat and since I work from home and have 4WD, no rush to clear it out.   

It's strange to think this is going to be my first Ohio winter in 23 years..really enjoyed the summer and fall...

Edited by Rob Hall