Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, peteski said:

While not specifically directed at you, I absolutely hate car owners who install all those super bright headlights in their cars.

They are blinding the oncoming drivers (and don't tell me that they are just misadjusted). No, they are just too BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH bright!!  HID projector headlights are also pretty bad when it comes to blinding oncoming drivers (especially if the road is uneven and they shine right into my eyes while they go over a bump on the road).  The worse are them new LED headlights. Even factory installed - they are no only extremely bright, the bluish tint makes it even worse.  What happened to regulations which used to define the brightness and light pattern of a headlight?  Those seem to have gone the way of a DoDo bird!   Sure, you in you big SUV, you can see the road much better with those lights, but what about being considerate to the oncoming drivers? 

Those regulations are still present when it comes to new cars as well as roadbocks to getting better lighting in this country. Not sure how far it's trickled down so far, but Mercedes was putting this trick LED light array on their S Class sedans that had sensors that would detect traffic and other things to allow for better visibility at night. If you were n a dark road, the all of the LEDs would light up to give the best amount of light, then if they senses another car coming at you, they would turn off or dim the LEDs closest to the oncoming car while keeping the other side well lit for visibility and would even light up to act as cornering lamps (kinda like what the Tucker's middle light was supposed to do). Great ideas, but since we're stuck in the 50's, regulation wise, things range from basic sealed beams.....still, to good purpose build LED headlight assemblies that provide more light, but are still inferior to what is sold in other countries.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

While not specifically directed at you, I absolutely hate car owners who install all those super bright headlights in their cars.

They are blinding the oncoming drivers (and don't tell me that they are just misadjusted). No, they are just too BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH bright!!  HID projector headlights are also pretty bad when it comes to blinding oncoming drivers (especially if the road is uneven and they shine right into my eyes while they go over a bump on the road).  The worse are them new LED headlights. Even factory installed - they are no only extremely bright, the bluish tint makes it even worse.  What happened to regulations which used to define the brightness and light pattern of a headlight?  Those seem to have gone the way of a DoDo bird!   Sure, you in you big SUV, you can see the road much better with those lights, but what about being considerate to the oncoming drivers? 

The IPF bulbs were the same wattage as the factory bulbs. It's the reflectors in the headlight that made the difference. No high watt, crazy bright nonesense for me.

:)

The biggest problem is the drivers in the on coming cars. They drive with their High Beams on or their Drive lights on when they are in heavy traffic even in town. Mostly a Pilot Error problem. On another subject. I received my ordered Coffee yesterday. Ya I know I'm a "Coffee Snob". I ordered four different brews and they sent two correct and doubled one order and forgot another brew that I ordered. Somewhere someone has my ordered Coffee. All is not lost, after an E Mail exchange they are sending me the missing brew and told me to keep the extra pound of Coffee they sent in error.    

I tried to swap that bulb today, unbolted the coolant bottle, pulled the rivet for the windshield cleaner bottle and found that my forearm is too big to get between the mounting brackets AND get enough of a grip on the protective cap on the back of the housing to be able to turn it to get at the bulb and plug.

Quick update, the plug was just loose, dealer didn't charge me to find that and I was able to return the bulb.

Edited by Joe Handley

That the waterpump in my 6.5td suburban decided to quit and start to leak...
Because i have no garage to work in i have to replace it outside..
As an extra bonus i have to use it on friday and it is one of those weeks now when it barely gets above 5 degrees farenheit to...
Hopefully it will survive if i have alot of extra coolant with me so i can fill it up when the low coolant warning comes on...
Maybe it will get a little warmer during the weekend when i have time to replace it...

2 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

That the waterpump in my 6.5td suburban decided to quit and start to leak...
Because i have no garage to work in i have to replace it outside..
As an extra bonus i have to use it on friday and it is one of those weeks now when it barely gets above 5 degrees farenheit to...
Hopefully it will survive if i have alot of extra coolant with me so i can fill it up when the low coolant warning comes on...
Maybe it will get a little warmer during the weekend when i have time to replace it...

WATCH YOUR TEMP GAUGE. By the time the "low coolant" light comes on, you could have already blown a head gasket.

I check that every few seconds every time i drive it anyways so that is not a problem.
I know where it normally is when everything is working so as soon i see something odd with it i am pulling over and switching it off.
The only gauges i check more then the speedo and revcounter is watertemp, oilpressure and voltgauge.
I do also keep an eye on how the exhaust looks like since i can see it in the passengerside mirror, if it suddenly changes from invisible when the engine is warm to white/blue/black smoke then something has gone bad, very bad..

9 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

I check that every few seconds every time i drive it anyways so that is not a problem.
I know where it normally is when everything is working so as soon i see something odd with it i am pulling over and switching it off...

Excellent. 

If more people would just watch their gauges, there would be far fewer unnecessary repair bills, or vehicles needlessly killed.

3 hours ago, russosborne said:

Been waiting for my signing bonus to arrive. Found out today that after 3 weeks the hr person hasn't submitted the paperwork yet.

We aren't starving, but we could really use the extra cash right now and were really counting on it.

Russ

The HR person reminds me of secretaries that sit behind a desk all day and answer the phone, except after they say hello they  don't know what else to say. DUH!

Broken input on one of my subs with 8 days before a gig, lucky there are two inputs, and its still under warranty( known issue, should of been a recall)

*release mechanism is faulty which results in stuck cables, the rubber mallet is what broke the input piece.........

yx6VXhn.jpg 

Edited by martinfan5

On 2/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, martinfan5 said:

Broken input on one of my subs with 8 days before a gig, lucky there are two inputs, and its still under warranty( known issue, should of been a recall)

*release mechanism is faulty which results in stuck cables, the rubber mallet is what broke the input piece.........

I switched most of my cables from straight jack to 90 degree jacks. Amp to cab, effects to amp, etc. 

Not sure if that will help your issue in the future, but it might. :)

On 1/29/2018 at 4:59 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Not rreally irked by this, more disappointed.

Had to terminate someone's employment today. Totally the right decision, and I don't regret making it at all, but having the actual meeting really sucks. 

That can be a stressful situation on both sides. I had to let one of my help go about 3 years ago, and it was VERY hard. THAT was also the totally right decision and the bottom line reflected it very quickly as soon as the register receipts started matching the amount of money actually in the till at the end of the day, if you know what I mean!

Jiffy lube.

Been a while since I had the oil changed. Went there today, and they refused to do it since it has been too long "according to corporate". Seems they are now dating the oil filters and if you go back with a filter dated by them and your mileage is high from the last oil change they did they won't do it.

Yes, I know. But I generally don't have the ability anymore to do it myself. But if I want to go there anymore I guess I will have to change the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAHing filter myself so I can say I have had the oil changed elsewhere in between visits there. Or else find someplace else.

Russ

46 minutes ago, russosborne said:

Jiffy lube.

Been a while since I had the oil changed. Went there today, and they refused to do it since it has been too long "according to corporate". Seems they are now dating the oil filters and if you go back with a filter dated by them and your mileage is high from the last oil change they did they won't do it.

Yes, I know. But I generally don't have the ability anymore to do it myself. But if I want to go there anymore I guess I will have to change the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAHing filter myself so I can say I have had the oil changed elsewhere in between visits there. Or else find someplace else.

Russ

Hmmm, I surprised to hear that as I always thought that the "bottom line" was to change the oil and filter on every vehicle that comes in?