Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

So much to know, so little time...

Just about every time I do an internet search for information (as opposed to parts), I come across all kinds of fascinating things I want to know more about. I have wide-ranging interests, and though I flag a lot of stuff to go back to read, I only ever get to about 10% of it.

And even though I'm fairly well-informed and aware, and know a bit about a lot of things, I also find that there is so much in the world that I'm completely ignorant about, and I could spend the entire rest of my life reading and researching, and never scratch the surface in the gaps in my knowledge.

Google searches and scouring Wikipedia about obscure historical events, car platforms, etc  is something I find myself doing often when I get insomnia...so much information to consume. 

15 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

The ice maker in my freezer catching on fire , that kind of irked me a little bit, now I gotta buy bags of ice.

I'd like to know how an Ice Maker catches fire. If the manufacture doesn't want to fix it you could always go back to the Ice Cube Trays that we used before Ice Makers.

The other day my wife ad I were walking our daughter to the el here in Chicago . I clumsily tripped on one of the many uneven broken places on the sidewalk and did a face plant right there . Two days later and my knee still hurts . I guess I don’t heal as fast as I used to . Oh and it snowed here yesterday . That I liked ! 

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

The other day my wife ad I were walking our daughter to the el here in Chicago . I clumsily tripped on one of the many uneven broken places on the sidewalk and did a face plant right there . Two days later and my knee still hurts . I guess I don’t heal as fast as I used to . Oh and it snowed here yesterday . That I liked ! 

Hope you get better soon.  My wife tripped in our driveway back in November and messed up her hip and back.  She still cannot stand up straight, and goes to see another doctor today.

Our water heater burst yesterday, it looks like it threw itself on a grenade to save it's buddies. It's going to be Friday before I can buy another one and Monday before it can be installed so it's going to get a bit funky around here for a few days. 

Had a tooth filling fall out Saturday and was able to schedule an appointment with my dentist yesterday. I wlked minus the tooth and a temporary bridge in place.  Wasn't expecting that.  No shop time yesterday either and maybe not today because of the heavy duty pain killer she prescribed.  Knocks me for a loop.

So...I pay top dollar for a miniature lathe / milling machine, almost $700, because in the photos online it looks looked like it's hardly ever been used, it's complete with everything it came with almost 50 years ago, and the fitted hardwood box it came in, with dovetailed corners, is was just about immaculate.

Did I say I've wanted one for 50 years or better, and that I COULD have paid substantially LESS for one that had signs of use?

It arrived yesterday, with the outer cardboard box looking like the FedEx guys used it for the puck in a game of fork-lift hockey.

I cross my fingers, open it up, and sure as hell, the end of the wooden box is split, the dovetails are all destroyed on the same end, the little machined handles on two of the feed wheels are snapped off, and one of the wheels is broken. The shaft attached to the tailstock feed is bent too.

Bozo who packed the thing inside the fitted box (and thousands of these things have been shipped all over the world since the late 1950s with ZERO DAMAGE) ignored the holes provided that keep it from sliding around INSIDE the box. Instead, he packed it full of styrene peanuts and sheet, in such a way that when the monkeys handling it dropped or booted or whatever they did to it, the ONLY things to prevent it sliding were the little handles...where they first busted out the end of the box, and next time, just snapped off when they hit something hard.

Both FedEx and the shipper  / seller WILL be hearing from me shortly.  :mellow:

Image result for incompetents

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

A few years ago I ordered some suspension components for a truck I was modifying. Usual Fed X delivery. I got home from work and this torn up empty box is sitting on my door step. Called Fed X and they claim someone must have stolen the Sway Bars I ordered  off of my front step.  Called the shipper and they sent me out a replacement, no problem. Later I get a call from a Fed X guy claiming to be some kind of internal investigator on the case. He thinks it would be impossible for one of their drivers to want the Sway Bars. So I ask him to go out in the employee parking lot and look for a then late model GM pick up and look under them for some fresh Sway Bars. He calls back a couple of days later, it's as if he never thought of that.  Ding Ding Ding. It seems one of the employees all of a sudden had a nice new set of shinny Sway Bars under his truck. Da.                 

Nine years ago I came across a 2002 Buick LeSabre with very low mileage.  The car was in excellent condition inside and out and the price was very fair, so I bought it.  Since then it's had one repair (electric window mechanism) and continued to get 17/28 mpg.   

Yesterday, some dorsal orifice did a hit & run on it while it was parked at work.  The damage is extensive enough that it will be totalled and I will probably get +/- $3,000 for it.  I'm not optimistic about what I can find in that price range to replace it, and due to other circumstances, I'm very reluctant to go into loan debt.  From what I've seen, the road to poverty starts with buying cheap, old cars and trying to keep them running.   Not sure what to do.   

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Nine years ago I came across a 2002 Buick LeSabre with very low mileage.  The car was in excellent condition inside and out and the price was very fair, so I bought it.  Since then it's had one repair (electric window mechanism) and continued to get 17/28 mpg.   

Yesterday, some dorsal orifice did a hit & run on it while it was parked at work.  The damage is extensive enough that it will be totalled and I will probably get +/- $3,000 for it.  I'm not optimistic about what I can find in that price range to replace it, and due to other circumstances, I'm very reluctant to go into loan debt.  From what I've seen, the road to poverty starts with buying cheap, old cars and trying to keep them running.   Not sure what to do.   

Depending on how much you like the car, you can probably keep it if you fight.

A "total" loss usually occurs when the estimated cost to repair gets to be around 75% of the "book" value of the car.

Book value rarely really takes into consideration that an older car might be very low mileage, in excellent condition, and not replaceable with anything other than a worn-out-piece-of-junk for the money they'll give you.

In MY state, if you scream loud and long enough at the insurance company, they will pay you very close to that 75% figure and let you keep the car.

You can then apply the money to repairing cosmetic damage, and pay the difference out of your pocket.

I've retained SEVERAL cars this way, and have advised several other people to do this when they've had old but GOOD cars with relatively MINOR damage, but still enough damage to push the car into "economic total" status.

Idiots, eBay seller AND eBay resolution people.

We paid for TWO items. Idiot seller can't count that high, put ONE item in the package, but listed the SAME tracking number for BOTH ITEMS.

Package arrived, sealed. ONE ITEM IN IT. POST OFFICE shows tracking number delivered...BOTH ITEMS.

We only got ONE.

So I contact seller, who LIES about "sorry, I gave you a refund for the missing one". NO REFUND.

So I open a case. DENIED because the idiot PO shows BOTH items delivered, even though there's only ONE TRACKING NUMBER...ONE PACKAGE...AND ONE ITEM IN IT.

Now I've appealed the decision. We'll see.

This is the FIRST time I've ever come up against reading-comprehension-challenged morons at eBay.

6 hours ago, Monty said:

My brother  lives in Ohio and has 2 older cars with full coverage wrecked. Not his fault. Both times they told him his car was not worth what he wanted for them. He said ok Go find me one. He ended with a bigger check. Not what he wanted but more money still. 

On 3/13/2018 at 6:55 AM, espo said:

I'd like to know how an Ice Maker catches fire. If the manufacture doesn't want to fix it you could always go back to the Ice Cube Trays that we used before Ice Makers.

I think the circuits overloaded,  the ice would get stuck and no fall down into the tray,  so causing a back up, my guess is that is caused a back up which lead to the overload .

For the second time in four months, I had a Primewell brand tire lose the seal between the tire and the rim.  When I called Safeco roadside assistance, the operator could not have been any nicer although i think i blew his concentration when I told him the car has seat warmers and I'm in a safe place so I'm good to wait my turn.  The tech that came out was the same guy I had in November!  He probably jumped on the dispatched call as I tipped him $20 both times for what he did in the cold/snow.   

8 hours ago, HomerS said:

For the second time in four months, I had a Primewell brand tire lose the seal between the tire and the rim.  When I called Safeco roadside assistance, the operator could not have been any nicer although i think i blew his concentration when I told him the car has seat warmers and I'm in a safe place so I'm good to wait my turn.  The tech that came out was the same guy I had in November!  He probably jumped on the dispatched call as I tipped him $20 both times for what he did in the cold/snow.   

Amazing what a little financial recognition can do. I'm not familiar with the Primewell tire brand, but I think your problems may be in the preparation of your wheels when they were mounted. The surface of the wheel bead needs to be cleaned as often the previously mounted tires will sometimes leave behind residue that can create a very slow leak. As the tire slowly deflates it tends to reduce the seal pressure between the tire and the rim. You are experiencing some pretty bad winter weather and the cold ambient temperature also lowers the tire pressure. I have know idea how often you or someone else checks your tire pressure, but it is possible that the combination of low tire pressure and then a drop in temperature could cause the lose the seal. Another reason to monitor your tire pressure year round is that if a tire is driven on with low pressure it can generate a lot of heat and sidewall flex to the point that the tire can actually come apart. If you haven't already I would have who ever services this tire go ahead and dismount it from the rim and check the condition of the mounting surfaces on both the rim and the tire.