Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

It's nothing like that, Mike. The security guys do their jobs; plus, they're all good friends of mine. They watch out for me and wouldn't let the bikes walk. Not that the could; they're Kryptonite Locked to the racks and each other. :D It's just a nosy S.O.B. thinking he hit paydirt and an even nosier yenta encouraging him to take what doesn't belong to him in the first place. They were stupid enough to discuss this on the building FB page, which makes it easy to press charges against one or both in the unlikely event that something occurs. I left a PM for the jerk telling him if he's that interested in the bikes,which he knows are rare, he can have both for $4,000. If that's too expensive for his pocket, forget you ever saw them and don't let me catch you anywhere near them. I am that kind of guy. 

Ah, good! Too many people seem to have the opinion that they're entitled to other people's things nowadays. Nice looking bikes by the way, I unfortunately let my Grey Ghost 5speed go a number of years ago when I needed money for medical expenses. Still have my Orange Krate and a phantom Grape Krate custom built.

Another year with fireworks sales starting today. Last year we had several really bad fires. None of them  related to fireworks. However California has already had several bad fires and we had another drought last year. Wish the powers to be would wise up before we have a fireworks related disaster. The irony is its organizations like the YMCA, Eagles, and other organizations doing it for fund raising.

Here on the Edge of the Prairie you can hear people practicing they Pyrotechnics for the fourth. Very few fireworks are banned in Kansas and those that are you just drive 25 miles east to Missouri and you can get most everything up to a Rocket Launcher. The biggest problem in this area is the idiots that shoot hand guns into the air to celebrate and not thinking about where the bullet is going to come done. Every year we have injuries, and a few years ago some people on one side of a lake shot into the air and a 10 or 12 year old girl died on the other side of the lake as she and her parents were moving into their new home.     

I now stand corrected. We drove over to Missouri yesterday to buy some Bottle Rockets. I use them to run the Geese out of the back yard. Seems that several of the Missouri counties are now banning them. All in All it's for the best.

2 hours ago, espo said:

I now stand corrected. We drove over to Missouri yesterday to buy some Bottle Rockets. I use them to run the Geese out of the back yard. Seems that several of the Missouri counties are now banning them. All in All it's for the best.

:lol:You use them to chase geese out of your back yard?Thats hilarious.Do u ever hit them,or does the noise just scare them?I mean I don't condone any type of animal cruelty,but geese deserve a shot in the butt.:D

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, NYLIBUD said:

:lol:You use them to chase geese out of your back yard?Thats hilarious.Do u ever hit them,or does the noise just scare them?I mean I don't condone any type of animal cruelty,but geese deserve a shot in the butt.:D

Actually these Geese are very belligerent about trying to take over the yard. This has been a problem for 18 years since we moved here. I have tried several different methods to get them to leave and the rockets are maybe the most humane. I made a PVC Plastic pipe hand held launcher with some control over the general direction the rocket will go. This way I can aim and light the fuse. I have used several different types depending on what I can buy. The one they just hate is called Texas Screamers. Starts off with a high pitched screech and as it starts to drop it has a small Fire Cracker that goes off. The Geese set around the edge of our lake in our yard about 100 feet from the house and eat the grass to the ground and defecate everywhere destroying the yard where ever they go. When it gets dark they try and come into the yard to roost for the night. The noise from the rockets seems to bother them, but at times I have had to resort to something a little more painful and that works to. At night a Laser Pointer like you would use in an office setting presentation just drives them nuts and that is what I have to do before turning in at night sometimes. We are easily entertained here on the edge of the Prairie.      

49 minutes ago, espo said:

Actually these Geese are very belligerent about trying to take over the yard. This has been a problem for 18 years since we moved here. I have tried several different methods to get them to leave and the rockets are maybe the most humane. I made a PVC Plastic pipe hand held launcher with some control over the general direction the rocket will go. This way I can aim and light the fuse. I have used several different types depending on what I can buy. The one they just hate is called Texas Screamers. Starts off with a high pitched screech and as it starts to drop it has a small Fire Cracker that goes off. The Geese set around the edge of our lake in our yard about 100 feet from the house and eat the grass to the ground and defecate everywhere destroying the yard where ever they go. When it gets dark they try and come into the yard to roost for the night. The noise from the rockets seems to bother them, but at times I have had to resort to something a little more painful and that works to. At night a Laser Pointer like you would use in an office setting presentation just drives them nuts and that is what I have to do before turning in at night sometimes. We are easily entertained here on the edge of the Prairie.      

You need to have a gator to patrol your yard and the geese will be gone, believe me.

6 minutes ago, High octane said:

You need to have a gator to patrol your yard and the geese will be gone, believe me.

There is actually a service in this area where this guy brings in his trained dogs and they harass the Geese at different times of the day. He will visit the area at different times of the day thinking that the Geese will move on since they will not know when the dogs are going to be there.  But Geese are very sneaky birds and they just come back in a half hour or so.

3 minutes ago, espo said:

There is actually a service in this area where this guy brings in his trained dogs and they harass the Geese at different times of the day. He will visit the area at different times of the day thinking that the Geese will move on since they will not know when the dogs are going to be there.  But Geese are very sneaky birds and they just come back in a half hour or so.

With a gator they won't be comin' back, at least not all of them.

We get annual visits from some beautiful white Swans. In the spring heading north and the fall when they're heading south. They only stay for a week max and I have identified individuals by their neck tags and intered the information on a wildlife tracking web sight. Often some of the migrating Geese, not to be confused with the lazy year round types, will rest here also. They form large floating masses on the lake. The Swans go where ever they want and the Geese clear a path for them. I have only seen one or two times the Geese didn't move fast enough and a Swan quickly charged the Geese and they would scatter. The Swans are a sight to behold and often will fly about 20 feet off the water and do Hot Laps around the lake and you can hear them breathing and the wind on their wings when they go bye. This is truly a beautiful thing to see. As for Gators, we do have some Snapping Turtles that have been known to grab a Goose by the foot when they're floating around. The Geese that are able to break free usually limp from then on. I have watched one Goose fight for a hour or more before the Snapper dragged him under. The best part is during the winter months if the lake freezes over. There is a population of Bald Eagles along the near by Kaw River and they have sometimes taken a Goose or two on the ice. These are some Bad News birds, I love them. .       

All I know is that there is nothing positive about a goose,or geese,or whatever.They are just loud,ugly annoying birds,that should be blown out of the sky whenever possible.They also leave a huge mess where ever they go.Now I'am an animal lover,and I don't want to see any animals injured or killed,well except maybe a possum.They are nasty little things too..Im only saying this because these annoying flying creatures will attack you if you get to close,for no other reason,then the fact that your invading their space.Ok,well that's fine.Now of course they are not the only animals that will do that..However a couple of years ago I saw a goose chase a little kid,the kid falls,and the goose just jumps on him.The kid was screaming,until the parents came running over.These birds are also responsible for taking down jet planes.Thats why JFK airport,among others use loud noises to scare them away from the airport.Sometimes it works,and sometimes it doesn't..Anyway,im not sure how this thread became something about geese.Lol.:lol:.But whatever.