Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

10 hours ago, Xingu said:

Contractor is running underground wire to my new garage. Yesterday he did the hard part and got the wire thru a really congested area without hitting any other wires or cables. There was only one cable left to miss and it was clearly marked in the middle of the yard. He hit it and now, when I get home this evening, I will be without cable TV and Internet.

Yup!  Contractor was putting up fence around my pool.  I made sure they dodged all the electric and plumbing services... until the very last piece of fence!  Sunk the post right into a filter line.  Had to have it all dug up and replaced.  

11 hours ago, oldnslow said:

You got it , the drs say it's pretty far along , Gleason scale 9 out of 10 , but it's only in the prostate at this time . I've got 3 months of hormone shots to shrink it and then 9 1/2 weeks of radiation to treat it .

I had surgery and been clean for 13 years.  You can handle this Robert. Thoughts and prayers going your way.

For a couple of weeks I was having trouble with shower water backing up into my basement sink.  Finally broke down and called the "grocery recycling" people to come pump out the tank.  At the time it was in the mid 90's with high humidity and very dry.  They quoted me $250 but when they did the job it was $500.  When I called them I told them I thought the tank was fairly shallow and they did not bring any excavation equipment other than a shovel, it was actually over 5 feet deep and they had to shovel it out by hand.  They then did a check and discovered the drain line from the tank was not working properly.  For $1100 they would dig out the old line back to some good line and repair it.  Of course they dug back almost 50 feet and all they found was collapsed concrete tiles.  Change of plan, I will need a complete replacement of the septic drain field at an estimated cost of $3100.  I am now sitting here with a three foot deep by 50 feet long, rather aromatic trench in my back yard .  After visiting the county Building Permits office and spending $125 for a permit I got to wait from Tuesday until late Thursday for an inspector to come out and lay off the new lines.  The septic people were busy, but said they would be back on this past Tuesday to do the work.  They called me on Sunday and told me they would be here on Monday (this past) because there was supposed to be rain beginning Tuesday through the rest of the week.  It was finished late Monday afternoon and the rains began sometime Monday evening.  Since Tuesday we have got just short of 6.5 inches of rain.  Here is a picture of my backyard from this morning. Of course now I have the pleasure of raking up the gravel from the old line, smoothing out the whole mess, and resowing some grass in the fall. Not bad for $4825.

IMG_1903.JPG

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

For a couple of weeks I was having trouble with shower water backing up into my basement sink.  Finally broke down and called the "grocery recycling" people to come pump out the tank.  At the time it was in the mid 90's with high humidity and very dry.  They quoted me $250 but when they did the job it was $500.  When I called them I told them I thought the tank was fairly shallow and they did not bring any excavation equipment other than a shovel, it was actually over 5 feet deep and they had to shovel it out by hand.  They then did a check and discovered the drain line from the tank was not working properly.  For $1100 they would dig out the old line back to some good line and repair it.  Of course they dug back almost 50 feet and all they found was collapsed concrete tiles.  Change of plan, I will need a complete replacement of the septic drain field at an estimated cost of $3100.  I am now sitting here with a three foot deep by 50 feet long, rather aromatic trench in my back yard .  After visiting the county Building Permits office and spending $125 for a permit I got to wait from Tuesday until late Thursday for an inspector to come out and lay off the new lines.  The septic people were busy, but said they would be back on this past Tuesday to do the work.  They called me on Sunday and told me they would be here on Monday (this past) because there was supposed to be rain beginning Tuesday through the rest of the week.  It was finished late Monday afternoon and the rains began sometime Monday evening.  Since Tuesday we have got just short of 6.5 inches of rain.  Here is a picture of my backyard from this morning. Of course now I have the pleasure of raking up the gravel from the old line, smoothing out the whole mess, and resowing some grass in the fall. Not bad for $4825.

I am sorry to read of your situation.  These problems are never fun or inexpensive.  A co-worker of mine had his sewer line collapse.  They got him for about $20,000.00 when all was said and done. 

I can remember having a new sand filter system installed for 1,250.00 back in 1990! That included pulling the old septic system out too!

Then early the next year the city put sewer lines through the neighborhood and condemned all the septic systems forcing everyone onto the city system!:angry:

What irks me today is the same thing that irks me everyday, people don't know how to use an out door and an in door at a store. You go in on the right side you go out on the right side you don't go in the out door, or out the in door. And when you come out , don't hold the out door for me to go in!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Lizz62 said:

What irks me today is the same thing that irks me everyday, people don't know how to use an out door and an in door at a store. You go in on the right side you go out on the right side you don't go in the out door, or out the in door. And when you come out , don't hold the out door for me to go in!!!!!!!!

I agree as I always see that happenin' at Walmart or Meijer stores. Don't know if the customers are just plain stupid, they just don't care, or they can't read???

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, TarheelRick said:

For a couple of weeks I was having trouble with shower water backing up into my basement sink...

Right next door to you in SC. My Mom had that same problem a couple of years ago, with a bathroom that was added to her house in the 1970s.  She called a local contractor & family friend who started digging...and found that the original contractor had never connected the lines from the new bathroom to the septic tank! 

That was amazing. For 40 yrs. the line had just drained into the ground, not into the tank.  That bathroom didn't get used much except when I was visiting, so nobody noticed in all that time. But in 2015 I moved back here from Calif. and stayed with Mom while I looked for a house.  Took a shower every morning. One day I saw "black water" backing up thru the shower drain...

I'm irked by contractors in general down here.  I even wrote a letter to the local paper complaining about it, which they published.  I wrote that all the local contractors must be rich, because they never return phone calls and often won't even bother to answer their phones.  Even contractors who advertise in the local paper and the internet won't get back to you. Incredibly frustrating. 

Recently I badly needed my gutters cleaned. In the recent heavy rains I had water overflowing them in several places.

I don't mind doing that work myself. But I live alone and don't like walking on the roof with nobody else around. At least need somebody watching to call 9-1-1 in case I slip.  I'm friends with a couple of E.R. nurses and doctors.  They tell me that, by far, the number-one injury they see is people falling off roofs.  That includes clumsy old geezers like me, and professional contractors.

After getting the runaround and no return phone calls from several gutter contractors, I found ONE who grudgingly agreed to do the work.  Quoted me a price of $200 and said he would "get back" to me, since he was real busy at the time.  Of course, he never did get back to me and still hasn't.

Last Sat., when the rain let up for a few days, I finally drafted the 15-yr-old son of some family friends.  The kid is raising money for college and does all kinds of handyman work, including gutters.  I helped and his Mom stood guard to make the 9-11 call if necessary.  We had the job done real quick.  It has rained heavily for the past few days and  the gutters are working great, no over-spillage. His Mom complained that I paid him too much.  No I didn't!  And I plan to use him again in a few months, when the gutters need cleaning again. 

12 hours ago, Lizz62 said:

What drives me even crazier is how people drive in parking lots. Instead of going with the lanes in the lot, you'll have drivers that are so impatient/lazy and take a "short cut" and cross all the parking spaces just to get across the lot. Had someone nearly run into me because of their impatience. Needless to say, if there had been a wreck because of that, you might have heard about me on the news! :angry:

No excuse for such laziness/impatience!

It's one of the reasons I hate shopping. Not so much the shopping, it's the idiots in the parking lots that are in such a hurry or whatever. And yes, the ones that don't hold the door open for you says a lot. Those are the ones that weren't taught any manners as kids, and then they wonder how they got the black eye or the flattened nose. :huh:

Edited by MrObsessive

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Irks me when you do hold the door open people can't give you a simple Thank you.

Myself I do it because that was how I was raised and don't expect to be thanked for it.

If they do, it is just another plus for my day!

I held the door for a lady a while back and she stopped and started giving me a lecture on how she wasn't just a helpless woman so I just let the door shut in her face before she could finish. Takes all kinds to make up a world!:lol:

10 hours ago, High octane said:

I agree as I always see that happenin' at Walmart or Meijer stores. Don't know if the customers are just plain stupid, they just don't care, or they can't read???

Our Walmart has the in door on the left for some unknown reason!:huh:

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

D. All the above

1 minute ago, OldTrucker said:

Our Walmart has the in door on the left for some unknown reason!:huh:

I believe our does also as well as the Meijer's store, however they are clearly marked enter or exit, and you must remember that most of the shoppers had to drive to the store which sounds scary in itself.

14 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

I held the door for a lady a while back and she stopped and started giving me a lecture on how she wasn't just a helpless woman so I just let the door shut in her face before she could finish. Takes all kinds to make up a world!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I probably would have done the same thing! I don't suffer fools gladly when it comes to rudeness!

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Right next door to you in SC. My Mom had that same problem a couple of years ago, with a bathroom that was added to her house in the 1970s.  She called a local contractor & family friend who started digging...and found that the original contractor had never connected the lines from the new bathroom to the septic tank! 

That was amazing. For 40 yrs. the line had just drained into the ground, not into the tank.  That bathroom didn't get used much except when I was visiting, so nobody noticed in all that time. But in 2015 I moved back here from Calif. and stayed with Mom while I looked for a house.  Took a shower every morning. One day I saw "black water" backing up thru the shower drain...

I'm irked by contractors in general down here.  I even wrote a letter to the local paper complaining about it, which they published.  I wrote that all the local contractors must be rich, because they never return phone calls and often won't even bother to answer their phones.  Even contractors who advertise in the local paper and the internet won't get back to you. Incredibly frustrating. 

Recently I badly needed my gutters cleaned. In the recent heavy rains I had water overflowing them in several places.

I don't mind doing that work myself. But I live alone and don't like walking on the roof with nobody else around. At least need somebody watching to call 9-1-1 in case I slip.  I'm friends with a couple of E.R. nurses and doctors.  They tell me that, by far, the number-one injury they see is people falling off roofs.  That includes clumsy old geezers like me, and professional contractors.

After getting the runaround and no return phone calls from several gutter contractors, I found ONE who grudgingly agreed to do the work.  Quoted me a price of $200 and said he would "get back" to me, since he was real busy at the time.  Of course, he never did get back to me and still hasn't.

Last Sat., when the rain let up for a few days, I finally drafted the 15-yr-old son of some family friends.  The kid is raising money for college and does all kinds of handyman work, including gutters.  I helped and his Mom stood guard to make the 9-11 call if necessary.  We had the job done real quick.  It has rained heavily for the past few days and  the gutters are working great, no over-spillage. His Mom complained that I paid him too much.  No I didn't!  And I plan to use him again in a few months, when the gutters need cleaning again. 

With a lot of one or two-man operations, be it home improvement, auto repair, or whatever, a lot of those guys like to have the "security" of having a week or two worth of work "backed up".  That's old thinking though, because someone desperate to have the work done NOW can find a website somewhere, and line up the work when THEY want it done.  

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

If they do, it is just another plus for my day!

I held the door for a lady a while back and she stopped and started giving me a lecture on how she wasn't just a helpless woman so I just let the door shut in her face before she could finish. Takes all kinds to make up a world!

Had a similar situation a while back, she said something like "I suppose you're holding the door because I'm a women". I replied, no I'm holding it because I'm a gentleman. That caused her give me a deer in the  headlights look since she couldn't come up  with a snarky reply. You can't be polite to people these days without someone giving you grief or questioning your motives

Edited by Phirewriter

As part of my work, I put together bank deposits.  Last week, I had two lulus in a row.

The first one included four rolls of quarters.  I'm not making this up: the trainee teller DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE.  I got fed up with that branch (last year, another trainee initially shorted me $1,000 on a check I was cashing) so the next deposit was made at another location.

Canadian funds deposit (actually two; one check and some cash: each gets a different exchange rate).  Another trainee: he converted the cash but deposited the check at par.  Big boo-boo: that day, a Canadian dollar was worth 72 cents US.  I reported that the next day (7/31).  As of Friday (8/3) I left work without having an answer on the final exchange value on that check.

Easy to say "dumb millennials" or something similar, but I'm not going to do that.  What I don't get is how someone at the bank could stick these guys at a teller window without them being trained as to how to spot a check in Canadian funds (easy in my case; I told him what it was up front) or what rolled coin looks like.  If anyone screws up and hands out too much money, 99% of people will walk out without saying a word...