Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Stop the world.....I want off!

P&G, the maker of Pampers, started quietly replacing the Sesame Street characters this summer. P&G customer service representatives have reportedly said the changes came after parents complained of too many male characters on the diapers.

20 minutes ago, HomerS said:

P&G, the maker of Pampers, started quietly replacing the Sesame Street characters this summer. P&G customer service representatives have reportedly said the changes came after parents complained of too many male characters on the diapers.

I would make a typically critical-of-modern-society comment, but having just recently been reinstated, I'll shut up and smile.  :D

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

Thanks. You just made my wife and I tickled for the rest of the evening. After the laughter subsided, we exchanged comments about how totally screwed up our society is today. Yep, we really appreciate the chuckle.

I wish more people were ticketed for not adhering to the "keep right except to pass" law.

Frustrating drive to work today. The guy two vehicles ahead of me decided to drive right next to the guy in the right lane. Stuck it at 95kmh and wasn't moving over. I think the guy directly in front of me was close to snapping and playing bumper cars. I think these slef appointed traffic cops are far more dnagerous than speeders.

Ah well, I now have my tea, and my quiet office, and an hour before anyone gets here. So it's all good. 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, 89AKurt said:

How many times has this happened to you?

I agree 100 %. In this part of the country everyone seems to try and buy a bigger SUV than anyone else and in most cases they're hard pressed to operate a Golf Cart. Some of these vehicles are getting big enough as to put the operator in a different licensing category. I think they should have to have a license along the lines of a Bus Operators Permit since they are getting very close to that size. The big problem comes about when they park them. As you are experiencing in your video. They are of such a size and the driver is so lacking in ability to operate these things that when they "park" it looks more like someone abandoned the thing.  I see almost daily these things parked in such a way that they have their tires in three adjoining parking spots. 

On 16/09/2018 at 11:56 PM, 89AKurt said:

How many times has this happened to you?

*ticked off Vic video*

Meh, there's plenty of space between him and the car next to him. It's not like he was parked so close that door dings were happening.

Plus Vic still has his seatbelt on. Entirely possible he pulled in next to the already parked car so that he could stage his video. 

4 minutes ago, espo said:

I agree 100 %. In this part of the country everyone seems to try and buy a bigger SUV than anyone else and in most cases they're hard pressed to operate a Golf Cart. Some of these vehicles are getting big enough as to put the operator in a different licensing category. I think they should have to have a license along the lines of a Bus Operators Permit since they are getting very close to that size. The big problem comes about when they park them. As you are experiencing in your video. They are of such a size and the driver is so lacking in ability to operate these things that when they "park" it looks more like someone abandoned the thing.  I see almost daily these things parked in such a way that they have their tires in three adjoining parking spots. 

Whatever do you mean? lolz

Find me something smaller that can:

• fit my 6'6" body
  • hold five adults comfortably
  • plus any gear they may have
  • can sometimes carry a drumkit, guitars and half stack amps
  • can still tow a 30 foot travel trailer
  • can venture offroad

And I'll look at downsizing. :)

In the meantime...

20180526_113754.jpg

On 9/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, HomerS said:

Millennial parents no doubt!  While we're at it, everybody gets a trophy!

Just so there is no doubt, I'm only semi-serious. :)

13 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I wish more people were ticketed for not adhering to the "keep right except to pass" law.

Frustrating drive to work today. The guy two vehicles ahead of me decided to drive right next to the guy in the right lane. Stuck it at 95kmh and wasn't moving over. I think the guy directly in front of me was close to snapping and playing bumper cars. I think these slef appointed traffic cops are far more dnagerous than speeders.

Ah well, I now have my tea, and my quiet office, and an hour before anyone gets here. So it's all good. 

I just experienced the same behavior on my way to work tonight. It is super-annoying!  at 8pm the traffic is not very heavy, so there is not reason to stay in the left lane. With 3 lanes everybody was going around them, but it still caused the annoyed drivers to make some dangerous maneuvers.  And there are signs posted stating that the left lane is not a travel lane, but for passing only.   That message is also often displayed on the overhead digital billboard signs.  But no, they couldn't care less.

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I just experienced the same behavior on my way to work tonight. It is super-annoying!  at 8pm the traffic is not very heavy, so there is not reason to stay in the left lane. With 3 lanes everybody was going around them, but it still caused the annoyed drivers to make some dangerous maneuvers.  And there are signs posted stating that the left lane is not a travel lane, but for passing only.   That message is also often displayed on the overhead digital billboard signs.  But no, they couldn't care less.

We use all lanes here as "travel" lanes as we have LOTS of cars to move and cannot designate one lane for passing only.

4 hours ago, High octane said:

We use all lanes here as "travel" lanes as we have LOTS of cars to move and cannot designate one lane for passing only.

Sure, that's fine, but if possible the slower traffic should move over to the right.  Same with the highway I described in my post - during the rush hours all the lanes are full of cars and there is no way to use the left lane strictly for passing. But if the traffic is lighter, then common sense should prevail (especially since it is clearly posted what that line is for).

Sometimes the right lane ends up being the passing lane because everybody is exercising their God given right to stay in the middle and left lanes. Often coming north from Toronto I can drive the whole way home in the right lane since no one wants to drive there. No wonder Europeans who are accustomed to the discipline of the autobahn can't figure out what the dickens we are doing on our roads here in North America.

1 hour ago, peter31a said:

Sometimes the right lane ends up being the passing lane because everybody is exercising their God given right to stay in the middle and left lanes. Often coming north from Toronto I can drive the whole way home in the right lane since no one wants to drive there. No wonder Europeans who are accustomed to the discipline of the autobahn can't figure out what the dickens we are doing on our roads here in North America.

Oh I've done 90 mph in the right hand lanes before, but that was a long time ago. Not any more.

Our state DOT has information boards hanging over the various interstate and state highways. Often between traffic time and alerts there are general driving messages, the best I've seen to date...

"Camp in the woods, not in the left lane!"

Should be flashed all the time as far as I'm concerned.

And all this time I thought it was just a local problem, it would seem that bad drivers abound. Tow good ones to share that happened yesterday and the other just two hours ago returning home from a doctors appointment. Yesterday I'm at the shopping mall getting into my car. Lady about four spaces away is leaving her parking place. She had either backed in or drove thru the space behind her since she is not backing out but driving forward. As she turns her Suburban to inter the driveway exit I hear a scraping noise and then the distinct sound of bending sheet metal and then a crashing sound as parts of the fender of the car parked next to her has the fender smashed and the grill ripped off the front of an older Chrysler. She just drove off as if nothing had happened. Just today I'm returning on the interstate with three lanes and three semis going up the hill side by side. This is a 70 MPH zone and if you're going 70 you better be in the right hand lane. This Tortoise drag race up the hill was going 55 - 60 MPH.  You can't imagine how fast the cars started backing up behind them. The three drivers went about two miles before one of them backed off enough so that cars could start getting around them. I almost didn't get over fast enough to get my off ramp.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Whatever do you mean? lolz

Find me something smaller that can:

• fit my 6'6" body
  • hold five adults comfortably
  • plus any gear they may have
  • can sometimes carry a drumkit, guitars and half stack amps
  • can still tow a 30 foot travel trailer
  • can venture offroad

And I'll look at downsizing. :)

In the meantime...

20180526_113754.jpg

That is a very handsome looking rig. Besides your above average stature limiting you as to what you can get in and out of, it would seem that you are among the few that need such a vehicle. My biggest objection is that, at least locally, the people operating these things probably struggle to operate a standard size vehicle and when they get in something this size they seem to charge around the streets with no regard for anyone or anything else on the road.  

2 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Our state DOT has information boards hanging over the various interstate and state highways. Often between traffic time and alerts there are general driving messages, the best I've seen to date...

"Camp in the woods, not in the left lane!"

Should be flashed all the time as far as I'm concerned.

How 'bout the overhead sign that says: If you want to see Jesus, keep texting?

Yeah, they have constant reminders to not text especially since it's illegal to text while driving here. Does no good. Until recently I had a long commute to work, could write long novels about the ignorant nonsense I'd see almost everyday.

Edited by Phirewriter

Today it's texting, but it has been and always will be something.  Back in the day it was futzing with the radio station dial, because if one was listening to a rather weak signal, one had to periodically adjust the dial to maintain contact with the signal.  A person I knew of was doing this and drove into a ditch.  It would have been a bit humorous based on who he was, but he did get banged up pretty badly and it was no longer funny.  There were also people reading the newspaper and novels while driving.  They placed them on top of the steering wheel and down the road they went.  There were, and probably still are the guys who shave and the gals who put on makeup via their rear view mirror.  Then there has been the problem since the car was invented, of people who insist on eating their hamburgers, tacos and such while driving.