Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 12/3/2018 at 10:16 PM, peteski said:

If you look at the label it will show that it contains sodium hydroxide (Lye). Caustic chemical. Same stuff that is in oven cleaner, and the purple stuff.  I'm not surprised that it removed "chrome" from plastic parts.  But is smells much better than the other stuff. I buy the lemon scented version (for cleaning floors too). :D

That is why I use it!  It doesn't have a nasty smell, smells like lemon!  Snake, I wouldn't think to use it as a thinner since it's pee yellow.  I've never tried it on model paint.

I ordered something from Shapeways on Nov. 26.  Yesterday was wondering where it was, searched my email and noticed they never sent notice of shipment.  So I sent an email yesterday, got reply "I'm sorry" then 10 hours later "shipment is on it's way!"  Good thing I checked, not that I'm impatient or have a deadline, but come on!

The world is going crazy.

Maybe it was always crazy but the Internet gives the loonies a way to get their views out there!

Anyway, my chuckle of the week is the jack who announced he wasn't going to play "Baby It's Cold Outside".   It has resulted in that song being played everywhere, probably the most airplay it's had in decades!    :lol:

Perhaps the problem is not the business owner but the safety of the children. Is it not the parents responsibility to see that their child arrives at a safe location on the school grounds ??  My thought is if the School Board can't get the parents to deliver their children to the school in a safe manor and not disrupt a business then maybe someone should contact the authorities and children's services about the parents who are putting their children in danger by not delivering them to the school properly. I guess know one want to take responsibility of their child.     

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

The more I read about people, the more I understand why The Grinch wants to live alone in the mountains with his dog.

[...]

I can totally understand why that guy posted the sign.  When my kids went to a charter school, it was aggravating to drop off my kids.  One day I went into the office to ask them to do something about it, and Ruthie at the desk looked at me and said "why don't you be the door man?"  I thought yea, not a bad idea, good way to serve the community.  So every morning I showed up early, and pulled the brats out of the cars and pushed them to the sidewalk and told the parents to get the heck moving along will ya?  Seriously, I was nice about it, and most parents appreciated me keeping the line moving along.  But some parents were just stubborn jerks, and I let them know it.  LOL  Did this for 3 years.  School gave me an award of appreciation for it, so that is hanging separately from my model awards.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:55 AM, Tom Geiger said:

...Anyway, my chuckle of the week is the jack who announced he wasn't going to play "Baby It's Cold Outside"...

Absolutely pathetic. Just another perpetually knicker-knotted little be-offended-with-everything, no-sense-of-humor, ruin-everybody's-fun idiot.

I swear the vast majority of these virtue-signalling fools don't really think they're making the world a better, kinder, safer place by antics like blacklisting an old Christmas standard.

No rational mind could.

At the core, it's all about getting attention directed towards themselves...and it's becoming a global phenomenon.

There really IS something VERY wrong in the world today.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Two complaints in one post.

Short version. Ebay seller idiot. Craigslist buyer idiot.

Long version.

I just recently got back into the world of RCA Selectivision players/discs. Short lived product from the mid 80's. Competitor to the Laser Disc. Had one back then, kept the movies until our move to Ohio 12 years ago. Been casually looking at thrift stores in case one showed up, finally found one on Offer Up.

Anyway, found an Ebay auction for 3 movies. Only one of which I really wanted, but for the price of about $11plus shipping I figure it is worth it just for the one movie that usually sells for that much alone, the other two are freebies. Do the Buy It Now, and the next day I get a notice from Paypal that the seller has refunded me one third of the buy it now price. But nothing from the seller as to why the refund. I am thinking probably not getting all 3 movies. Get the package today. Feels a little light, so I am figuring I was right. Open it up, and the 2 crappy movies are there, but not the one I wanted.

Now, all the seller would have had to do was ask me if I wanted just the 2 movies with the discount, or my money back. I would have answered "my money back" in this case and gone on and bought just that movie from another source and been totally happy. But no, seems he (based on the user name) can't be bothered. So I leave as nasty a feedback as I have ever done on Ebay. And now I have to decide if $15 or so is worth the bother of repacking these things and going to the post office or not.

I haven't set up my new to me player yet, but was going to do that tonight so I could enjoy the movie. That is probably what POs me the most. Btw, the movie is a concert, Paul McCartney and Wings Rockshow from 1976 I think.

And on a different page, I am trying to sell something on Craigslist. I clearly list that I would consider a trade for any of the following items. Well, someone emailed me asking how much I want for one of those items. I politely tell him that it is something I don't have but want to trade for. So he responds by sending me a copy of my ad, showing his lack of reading comprehension skills.

Edited by russosborne

It's hard to be funny anymore. 

Society is so offended these days by everything.

Comedians can't make jokes anymore. Even I'm feeling stifled in the humour department.

I had a couple of zigners to post here, but there are many people, even here, that would completely freak out. 

Remember that epoisode of South Park with Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo? In that episode, the school put on their non-denominational Holiday Play, with everything that could be considered offensive to anyone being taken out. It turned into a steaming pile. 

That was supposed to be satire, not a gameplan.

MrHankeytheChristmasPoo28.jpg

Anyway...

55 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Stupid landscapers using their extreamly annoying and loud leaf blowers,and giant mowers at 8 AM,to clean up my neighbor's yards.And continue sometimes for hours,since most of the houses around me have an average of a couple of acres.:angry:

They couldn't find the "ON" switches on the rakes and brooms...

8 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

My yard is covered with leaves again about 2 weeks after the yard guys did the final cleanup for the season.  More leaves fell down since then, but mostly all the leaves off the property next door blew over into my yard.  Oh well. 

This is why you get one of these;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-Volt-Lithium-Ion-500-CFM-125-MPH-Brushless-Cordless-Electric-Leaf-Blower-Battery-Included/50408240?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-Blowers-_-50408240:Kobalt&CAWELAID=&kpid=50408240&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=497&k_clickID=go_625671256_51506501251_217468584469_aud-299487635210:pla-350178052302_c_9010496&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-_Lb3ryd3wIVxIizCh17wg5eEAQYAiABEgIAVfD_BwE

They will blow your arm back.  I use mine often.

Edited by aurfalien

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

My yard is covered with leaves again about 2 weeks after the yard guys did the final cleanup for the season.  More leaves fell down since then, but mostly all the leaves off the property next door blew over into my yard.  Oh well. 

I've had that problem for years. I live on a street that's a hill.  The house next door (above me) is a divorced lady who waits until the very last leaf falls before she calls the lawn service to clean up her yard.

Me, I have few trees in my front yard, but it's wooded in the back. Still I always would clear the front yard of my leaves... then after she finally had her yard done, last year I bagged about 20 bags of leaves that blew downhill.   So this year a combination of I was too busy to blow my leaves.  My wife came home from work for lunch one day and there's a lawn service clearing her yard.  She makes a deal to have ours done at the same time.  I come home and SURPRISE! every friggin leaf is gone!   Yea.  That's the plan for the future.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

...Still I always would clear the front yard of my leaves... 

Why? It's never made any sense to me, since I was a little kid. Soon as you clear 'em, more blow back from somewhere else. And if you just leave 'em, they break down into lawn food over the winter. Somebody please 'splain it to me.

PS. I just let mine stay where they fall. In the spring, my lawn looks at least as good as anyone's who spends effort or cash removing them. I guess my grass just doesn't know any better.  B)

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I just let mine stay where they fall...

… and I try to get one last tour on the old stx38 before the snow hits to chop them up so they break down easier. Why waste all those good nutrients?  :P

mike