Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Having to completely dismantle my work area in order to get my basement walls "de-leaked"  I had half of the basement done just over two years ago, because that particular area was where all the rain seeped in.  However, the back-to-back hurricanes this past summer showed me the other sides also leak.  Hindsight sure is a butt-kicker.

21 hours ago, High octane said:

What irked me today was paying our auto insurance and it has gone up. I went into the office to complain and told them that my wife and I are retired and drive less, so how can our rates go up? They give me some BS about discounts if they can use our cell phones to record where we've been, and I told them I don't want discounts but lower rates. Think I'll be shopping around the next time the premiums are due.

My wife shops around for the best auto insurance rates. So she found that Liberty Mutual had a special deal where they would give a pretty healthy discount off the already low rates if we installed a tracker in our car and truck, plugging it into the OBD II port under the dash. Keep it there for 90 days and if you drove safely within their preset parameters, the rate would be discounted. It tracked things like how hard the brakes were applied, how fast you accelerated etc. So, to pacify her, I agreed. We would get weekly reports on how we were doing. I LOVED it when she got dinged in her Rav 4 for accelerating to 30 MPH in 25 seconds, which was too fast! (Good thing my Mustang doesn't have a port!) I drove my truck like I had a rotten egg under my foot, and qualified for a bigger discount on my truck than she did in her car! Suffice it to say, we got a bigger discount, but if you drove the way they wanted you to to get the biggest discount, heck, it would take an hour to get up to 50 MPH! The day we finished, I went out and did a few smoking burnouts with my truck, just to celebrate.

^^^ I had a work vehicle with the same thing, tattled on you for EVERYTHING I hated it couldn't even do the speed limit in Colorado or Wyoming because once you hit 67 mph it would tell on you! The major highways are 75 & 80 mph thanks for making me a target while getting passed by a school bus!

My middle school son's school was put into lockdown as a high school student brought what was later determined to be an AirSoft gun to school.  The city has a new school under construction which will include metal detectors and all the current safety measures.  He's somewhat troubled by it but not as bad as I thought he would have been.

Finally got one of Mom's Christmas presents I ordered a week and a half before Christmas and paid extra for expedited shipping. It didn't ship until the weekend before New Years, according to the email I got, then finally arrived today. I'm considering contacting the company I bought it through and requesting a refund on the expedited shipping right now.

2 minutes ago, tom q vaxy said:

folks quoting entire posts. three or four consecutive postings quotes with a half-dozen pictures, for a two word reply. 

X2. I try to keep only the text and highlight what I'm replying to. To each his own I guess.

2 hours ago, tom q vaxy said:

folks quoting entire posts. three or four consecutive postings quotes with a half-dozen pictures, for a two word reply. 

Yup.

And I wonder why it's so prevalent. It's mentioned frequently, but a lot of folks never seem to get the memo.

Another thing...cluttering up somebody else's build thread with pictures of one's own model...when it's NOT to illustrate a particular technique or part, but just seemingly to say "lookit me lookit me".

Be polite. Post pix of your own models IN YOUR OWN THREAD...UNLESS, as I said, it's to illustrate a particular technique, part, or something else that will ENHANCE the build thread, rather than confusing things and taking attention away from the original poster's work.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

6 hours ago, tom q vaxy said:

Agree. Although I'd like to acknowledge that we seem to have broken one of the forum's most valuable and respected members of this bad habit in the last year. (But I ain't namin' names. B))  I appreciate it! B)

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Another thing...cluttering up somebody else's build thread with pictures of one's own model...when it's NOT to illustrate a particular technique or part, but just seemingly to say "lookit me lookit me".

Be polite. Post pix of your own models IN YOUR OWN THREAD...UNLESS, as I said, it's to illustrate a particular technique, part, or something else that will ENHANCE the build thread, rather than confusing things and taking attention away from the original poster's work.

Yup. Happened to me three times in the last few days. After some friendly chiding, I think at least one of the guys got the message, though. B)

If you absolutely HAVE to do this, at least have the common courtesy to say something nice about the OP's model, ferpissake. :angry:

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup.

And I wonder why it's so prevalent. It's mentioned frequently, but a lot of folks never seem to get the memo.

I can think of 3 reasons:

1. Laziness
2. Complete cluelessness (not realizing that the quoted post can be edited)
3. Total lack of caring about others who will be reading their post (with lengthy quote), and lack of any sort of logical thinking in general.

I suspect that #3 is most common reason.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and it is my day off.  Of course I guess that could be considered sleeping in, since I normally get up at 4:00.  Well, at least I will be able to get an early start at getting ready for this "winter storm" that is coming our way tonight.  Which is another "irk", I hate winter storms.

Took my 11 year old Toyota Rav4 to the dealership to have to have the rusted out exhaust replaced.

About $1800 parts/labor. No parts in the shop for the fix so they had them overnighted. They gave me

a shuttle home and would pick me up the following day when the car was ready. Ok so far.

The next day got the shuttle back to the dealership and the guy at service department flat out 

REFUSED to take my money!:angry:  He said it was some kinda warranty recall BS.

:D

Had a few items to post today. Since it was raining i took refuge in a bar on the way home. Had to pop to the bathroom and caught someone going through my wallet when I came out. I gave them the offer of calling the cops and admitting to them what they did, or i call an ambulance and teach them a lesson while they waited. Needless to say they can still use their hands and run faster than me

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Had a few items to post today. Since it was raining i took refuge in a bar on the way home. Had to pop to the bathroom and caught someone going through my wallet when I came out. I gave them the offer of calling the cops and admitting to them what they did, or i call an ambulance and teach them a lesson while they waited. Needless to say they can still use their hands and run faster than me

Why was your wallet out of your pocket?

1 hour ago, High octane said:

Why was your wallet out of your pocket?

its a small community and stuff like this rarely happens, normally you can leave anything lieing about in safety. I rarely even lock my door and i'm away from home for a week or more each month. It'll be locked now though

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

its a small community and stuff like this rarely happens, normally you can leave anything lieing about in safety...

In 1970, the people who went to races at Road Atlanta were like that. You could leave expensive camera equipment set up on a tripod while you went to the head, or to get a dog, and it would still be there when you got back. Not so today.