Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

8 hours ago, stitchdup said:

its a small community and stuff like this rarely happens, normally you can leave anything lieing about in safety. I rarely even lock my door and i'm away from home for a week or more each month. It'll be locked now though

That's the way it was for me back in the 50's but things have changed greatly since then. Now they steal your car while you're waiting at a red light.

It's only within the last year things have started to change here, but then it is an island so is sorta cut off in some ways. Heroin is starting to change things now and the level of violence that follows it is awful. Crime here used to be the odd falling out scuffles and a little weed but really nothing serious. The thing the junkies moving here dont seem to realise is its mostly a farming and fishing community and a lot of stuff gets sorted out without the cops. A shop out in the country get robbed a couple of years ago while a kid (17ish) was the only one there. They thought he would be a soft touch (first mistake was hes a farmer, second mistake was he plays rugby) but the kid beat him over the head with one of those old 50s metal tape dispensers. The kid got an award from the cops and the robber got jailed.

Trying to get a quote for Insurance, I talk to one person who sends me to another , then that guy after asking me info sends me to a lady that starts to ask for all the same info all over again.  I stopped her and said I just  gave the last guy all this info, She says sorry but we have to go through a different insurance company for you because you live in Michigan, I said I am sorry and have a nice day. I told 3 people I live in Michigan it took the last one to tell me this. Thanks USAA for wasting my time, when the first guy could have told me this. If I wanted Progressive Insurance I would have called them not you.  

4 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Trying to get a quote for Insurance, I talk to one person who sends me to another , then that guy after asking me info sends me to a lady that starts to ask for all the same info all over again.  I stopped her and said I just  gave the last guy all this info, She says sorry but we have to go through a different insurance company for you because you live in Michigan, I said I am sorry and have a nice day. I told 3 people I live in Michigan it took the last one to tell me this. Thanks USAA for wasting my time, when the first guy could have told me this. If I wanted Progressive Insurance I would have called them not you.  

That is called "red lining" and you might want to check with your states Attorney General and or the states Insurance Commissioner to see if you have any recourse.   

11 hours ago, High octane said:

That's the way it was for me back in the 50's but things have changed greatly since then. Now they steal your car while you're waiting at a red light.

Yup, and I'm always entertained when younger folks rip into some of us old geezers for lamenting about how much better it was in times past.

The thing is, it WAS better. A LOT better. Sure, there was crime, but you kinda had to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for it to be much of a worry. And there were the occasional nutcases that would go on shooting sprees for no rational reason, but nothing like the frequency we see today.

The world we inhabit now is very sick, and there are far too many people content to just look the other way, or pick on a convenient scapegoat rather than looking for the ROOT causes.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup, and I'm always entertained when younger folks rip into some of us old geezers for lamenting about how much better it was in times past.

The thing is, it WAS better. A LOT better. Sure, there was crime, but you kinda had to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for it to be much of a worry. And there were the occasional nutcases that would go on shooting sprees for no rational reason, but nothing like the frequency we see today.

The world we inhabit now is very sick, and there are far too many people content to just look the other way, or pick on a convenient scapegoat rather than looking for the ROOT causes.

I agree.

My car broke and stranded me. I got it towed to the shop. The time between calling AAA and me getting home was 4 hours, even though I was in the middle of town. I've learned a few things, many of you guys may already know. I didn't, this was the first time I was stranded in almost 50 years of driving. The tow truck that comes to jump your battery is not a tow truck, its a pickup truck. So after they cannot successfully jump start your car, the process of calling AAA and waiting again for them to show up with the tow truck starts over. They will not tow your car anywhere unless the owner goes with it or there is someone at the location to receive it. My repair shop was closed ( 10:30pm ) so I had to find someone to pick me up after the car was dropped. Next time, I'll have it towed home and deal with it the next day. 

Yea, so this irked me a whole lot. 

9 minutes ago, cowboy rich said:

A bobcat got 2 of my chickens last night. Thought I had everything secured and the ferals, badgers etc taken care of and now this. It's taken 2 chickens and 3 ducks in a month, still cant get it in the trap!! Its getting old.

I guess that is what is meant by "feeding the kitty?"

1 minute ago, High octane said:

I guess that is what is meant by "feeding the kitty?"

Yeah, and it comes with the territory of having poultry, but it would probably like trap better than cross hairs. Trap take it to fish and game goes to the woods crosshairs...well no free ride.

Dont mean to offend anyone at all but its getting old and irritating, so please dont take that the wrong way but I've trapped 10 kittens(dumped off) and 6 feral cats all of them went to homes except 1 that was diseased.

2 hours ago, Draggon said:

My car broke and stranded me. I got it towed to the shop. The time between calling AAA and me getting home was 4 hours, even though I was in the middle of town. I've learned a few things, many of you guys may already know. I didn't, this was the first time I was stranded in almost 50 years of driving. The tow truck that comes to jump your battery is not a tow truck, its a pickup truck. So after they cannot successfully jump start your car, the process of calling AAA and waiting again for them to show up with the tow truck starts over. They will not tow your car anywhere unless the owner goes with it or there is someone at the location to receive it. My repair shop was closed ( 10:30pm ) so I had to find someone to pick me up after the car was dropped. Next time, I'll have it towed home and deal with it the next day. 

Hmmm. Never had a problem with AAA like you describe. It's always been great to have and peace of mind when you have a wife and two daughters out on the road.  They've come and jump started cars, fix flats and unlocked cars for them.  

Yes, based on what you tell them, the service vehicle can be sent vs a tow truck.  In my area it seems they only have tow trucks. The time you wait for them is based on the volume of work at any given time.  I've had to wait a few hours, and then I've had them show up in 15 minutes.  I've driven with them to my closed garage and had the car dropped off without any question.  

3 hours ago, cowboy rich said:

A bobcat got 2 of my chickens last night. Thought I had everything secured and the ferals, badgers etc taken care of and now this. It's taken 2 chickens and 3 ducks in a month, still cant get it in the trap!! Its getting old.

I understand your frustration when predators are taking your livestock. Here, the feral cats I encourage control what is otherwise a nasty rodent problem. Most of the birds are too fast for 'em. Something's been getting the cats too though. I've seen coyotes around from time to time, and I think they're probably the culprits.

4 hours ago, Draggon said:

Call your insurance company and see if they offer roadside assistance that can be added to your policy.  I ditched AAA years ago as it was far more expensive and after they damage my car (tow truck driver made a U-turn over a center island and damaged the lower front valance panel....they eventually paid for the repair).  I know Safeco and Progressive offer it.

17 hours ago, espo said:

That is called "red lining" and you might want to check with your states Attorney General and or the states Insurance Commissioner to see if you have any recourse.   

Well not so much because they can sell me the insurance if I was in the service( any branch) per Michigan law. The problem is that I was not. Our insurance here is double the national average and they will not change it. The next time they have a town hall meeting I can go to I am  going to let my feelings about the payola be heard. 

Last night it was snowing and this morning when I woke up, there was around 8 inches more of that white stuff on the ground. That's not a big deal, but I thought we already had more than enough of it. Now after a lot of shoveling our yard is clean, but it keeps snowing all the time so more shoveling to come in the evening! :rolleyes: Luckily the traffic is flowing pretty good, and my daily driver (1st gen Chevy S10) has no problem going in the snow.

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Well not so much because they can sell me the insurance if I was in the service( any branch) per Michigan law. The problem is that I was not. Our insurance here is double the national average and they will not change it. The next time they have a town hall meeting I can go to I am  going to let my feelings about the payola be heard. 

This is when you get your local Representative and the Insurance Commissioner involved. As for the Michigan residence in the Military, most of them are not operating their vehicles in Michigan depending on their duty station. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Looks interesting. I wonder if it would work with a neighbors cat that thinks our flower beds are it's personal toilet ?  

X2 all over our yard and our ramp/porch  smell like cat urine from them spraying. My son can't mow his lawn without walking in cat BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH due to the neighbor feeding the feral cats that are running rampant here!

1 minute ago, OldTrucker said:

X2 all over our yard and our ramp/porch  smell like cat urine from them spraying. My son can't mow his lawn without walking in cat BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH due to the neighbor feeding the feral cats that are running rampant here!

This is their "House Cat" that they claim never is let out of the house. I can see it sitting inside one of their bedroom windows from our kitchen sink. As I sit at my computer/work bench I can see it walk by just below my window. I have tried all of the old wife's remedies including a Veterinarian recommended used coffee grounds and non of it has worked. The Deer and Rabbit repellants don't seem to work either. I don't want to harm the cat, but maybe a well directed BB shot to the back side might make his visits uncomfortable enough that he'll stop coming around. Now I'm going to start getting the hate mail, but if you ever are trying to do anything in your flower beds and all you are doing is digging in Cat BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you might take a different view.