Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

We live in an area where everybody knows everybody so stopping to talk in the grocery store is part of life.  People leave room for other shoppers.

About 6 months ago, the grocery store finished the first remodel in about 12 years.  That will mess up your grocery shopping.  It used to be a very efficient organized layout.  Now it's an agonizing experience.  The new aisles are all unequal width, some very narrow with displays in the middle on both sides, some wide or open space for no reason.  Add a couple of vendors stocking bread in the aisle and just plan to get bread next week.  Things are no longer in logical places, there are fewer items, vegetables aren't as fresh, and they are out of stock more often.  Went for my favorite coffee yesterday, nope, hundreds of kinds of coffee, lot s of new ones, but don't have that one any more.  I hope the person that designed the remodel has to shop there.

The biggest new roadblock now is all the big carts from the employees pulling groceries for customer pickup.  These carts take longer to bag and bin the groceries in the aisle The employees do their best but the carts are unavoidable. 

I'm starting to shop other places

Edited by Muncie

Yea losing an hour of my beauty sleep:lol:,by having to turn the clocks forward last night.It just always seems to me,that we are changing our clocks earlier and earlier,in the spring and fall.I don't know,maybe it's just me.But all I know,like I said,is that I lose an hour of sleep:(.Ah what are ya gonna do.

44 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea losing an hour of my beauty sleep:lol:,by having to turn the clocks forward last night.It just always seems to me,that we are changing our clocks earlier and earlier,in the spring and fall.I don't know,maybe it's just me.But all I know,like I said,is that I lose an hour of sleep:(.Ah what are ya gonna do.

I never lose an hour of sleep, I just lose an hour of usable Sunday. 

5 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Today I heard The Most Genius Idea of All Time: Instead of setting the clocks an hour ahead at 2AM on Sunday, it should be done at 3 PM on FRIDAY. I SO wish I had thought of that! 

Since Arizona doesn't change, it means I'm now 3 hours ahead of my office in Scottsdale.  Not sure when the time changes in Barbados and Jamaica, but my daily conference calls w/ the Caribbean team and the team in India are each moved forward 1 hr.  Which isn't that bad, but it does mess up my sleep patterns for a few days after the time change.   

Edited by Rob Hall

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The changing of the clocks is a real pain when you schedule meetings internationally!  Europe changes on a different date than the US. Puerto Rico, Japan and China don’t participate at all.

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Glad Arizona doesn't do that . Such a pain.

I wish we didn't change....

The things that bother me while grocery shopping. #1 Women that park there carts in the middle of the isle turned sideways roadblock fashion then wonder off down the isle, and don't you dare try and move their cart they start trying to say you're trying to steal their purses.  #2 People who fall into a trans while looking at the shelves. #3 People standing with the door wide open in the frozen food area. They stand there so long the windows all fog up and you can't even see in and half of what's there has thawed out. #4 Women who think it's just fine to jump into the 8 to 10 item line with their cart overflowing because THEY are in a hurry and NO ONE else is as important as they are. #5 People who park their cars in the lot much the way they park their carts in the isles. They look more like they were abandoned than parked. Did you know that it is possible to get a Prius to cover parts of three parking spots ??  I have seen it done more than once. 

I try and go the grocery at strange times like 7am on a Tuesday to avoid crowds...Sunday afternoons are the worst.   I go with a shopping list on my phone in the order of the layout of the grocery and usually can get in and out in under 20 min.  Anything that isn't frozen/refrigerated or fresh I try and get from Amazon. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

How sad. 

Yea that does suck.Out for enjoyment one day,and dead the next.Life can be really short.Plus,not be disgusting or disrespectful to the couple,but if they were lost for a week or so,the wildlife around there must have had a feast.RIP

The wife and I went to grab dinner an event after out youngest son's school event (he went with the mother in law).  We hadn't been to Gold Star Chili in a while so we went up the road only to find the place has been gutted inside (don't know if it's a remodel or a rebrand).  So we went to Burger King next door.  Waiting for the guy at the register complete his order, we see a sign on the register that they are out of chicken, onions and tomatoes.  With half the menu wiped out, we turned and went back down the road to Popeye's chicken.  The older lady waiting on the person in front of us rang up the guys order (thought he wanted an eight piece, not the number 8).  He caught the error as he looked at his receipt so she voided the order.  Okay, but she still didn't process the order for the #8!  One last try we went to Taco Bell and it was okay at best.  

Hey David                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You forgot one other thing that is a pain  at the grocery store. The person that has to read every ingredient on the label to see witch one there going to buy. 95%of the time it's the first one they picked up. Also leave there carts on the other side of the asle.  They won't move till there done either.

8 minutes ago, Cornpatch said:

Hey David                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You forgot one other thing that is a pain  at the grocery store. The person that has to read every ingredient on the label to see witch one there going to buy. 95%of the time it's the first one they picked up. Also leave there carts on the other side of the asle.  They won't move till there done either.

I've been grocery shopping for years and it's a piece of cake. Sure they may be some shoppers who annoy you, but since when are we the judge? Everybody has their own way of shopping and it must work for them. Grin and bear it, or just eat out all the time.

Prices for spareparts for cars here is what irks me...
Especially if it is a non euro car....
One brakecaliper locked up on my suburban so i need to get new calipers + pads and just to be sure i ordered the brakehoses to for it to be prepared if it is a failed hose that is making the caliper lock and not release again.
Anyway, price for those items 2 calipers, a set of brakepads and 2 brakehoses was about $600 if i got them from my local partsplace...
Checked on rockauto and those parts with better quality was $270 with the shipping included...
To save $330 i can let the suburban be parked at home and wait for those parts...

I already have new brakediscs for the front laying athome but i need to get new wheelhubs for the front to so i can replace those to.
Because it is a 8lug hub i need to remove it before i am able to replace the brakedisc and why not replace them with new while everything is off? + i have an intermittent absfault comming from the right side hub...
Now trying to find those wheelhubs here in sweden was almost impossible as 8lug chevrolets are not that common here once i did find them they wanted about $900 for one wheelhub.. ( i need 2)
And while i was looking for brakes i also checked if they had any wheelhubs, they did and they were the same ones as the factory used (and not noname stuff that falls apart after a week) for only $140 each.

So somewhere between US and Sweden the ship or plane loaded with spareparts for US vehicles must get diverted and have every part replaced with an identical one, but one that is made out of gold instead...

My 2002 Ford F 150 needs the radiator hoses replaced. I guess I can't complain since I bought the truck new at the end of 2001 and the factory hoses have never yet been replaced. Kind of surprised at what the shop wants to do the job including a flush.

I have also noticed the cost of repairs at the dealership have gone thru the roof and they very proud of their parts, meaning high priced. I had to replace the water pump on our '10 Dodge Charger R/T a couple of months ago. They wanted $400 for the pump and the parts store was almost just as much. Well up until now I have always done this sort of repair myself. I got to looking down into the area between the front of the engine and the radiator and all the stuff is crammed in there so tight my hands wouldn't even fit. I messed with it for about an hour and just bit the bullet and paid the dealer $800 to replace it. The wife's '14 Avenger had a Thermostat that wouldn't close all the way and kept the engine from reaching normal operating temperature. Dealer cost $250. Now a thermostat r & r is  really simple, except when the engine is mounted east/west instead of north/south. The new thermostat only cost $23 and about an hour of cursing. The two mounting bolts for the housing are in a location that a socket can't git into and you only get a quarter turn on the bolt with a box end and the inner fender is like a cheese grater on your hand and for arm.        

3 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

Prices for spareparts for cars here is what irks me...
Especially if it is a non euro car....
One brakecaliper locked up on my suburban so i need to get new calipers + pads and just to be sure i ordered the brakehoses to for it to be prepared if it is a failed hose that is making the caliper lock and not release again.
Anyway, price for those items 2 calipers, a set of brakepads and 2 brakehoses was about $600 if i got them from my local partsplace...
Checked on rockauto and those parts with better quality was $270 with the shipping included...
To save $330 i can let the suburban be parked at home and wait for those parts...

I already have new brakediscs for the front laying athome but i need to get new wheelhubs for the front to so i can replace those to.
Because it is a 8lug hub i need to remove it before i am able to replace the brakedisc and why not replace them with new while everything is off? + i have an intermittent absfault comming from the right side hub...
Now trying to find those wheelhubs here in sweden was almost impossible as 8lug chevrolets are not that common here once i did find them they wanted about $900 for one wheelhub.. ( i need 2)
And while i was looking for brakes i also checked if they had any wheelhubs, they did and they were the same ones as the factory used (and not noname stuff that falls apart after a week) for only $140 each.

So somewhere between US and Sweden the ship or plane loaded with spareparts for US vehicles must get diverted and have every part replaced with an identical one, but one that is made out of gold instead...

I have done this operation on a couple of pick ups in the past. Mine were 1/2 tons but the principals are the same. You mentioned the ABS fault light. What can happen is that as the inner wheel bearing seal wears it will allow some of the wheel bearing grease to get onto the sensor wheel for the ABS on the hub. This will look much like gear that doesn't mesh anywhere. Chevrolet has a small sensor that will ride on that and senses if the wheel is locking up and the other side is not. Any grease contamination seems to cause all types of problems. When ever you repack your wheel bearings be sure this area is clean. I use a light spray of Brake Clean and a shop rag to wipe it clean. 

13 hours ago, espo said:

I have done this operation on a couple of pick ups in the past. Mine were 1/2 tons but the principals are the same. You mentioned the ABS fault light. What can happen is that as the inner wheel bearing seal wears it will allow some of the wheel bearing grease to get onto the sensor wheel for the ABS on the hub. This will look much like gear that doesn't mesh anywhere. Chevrolet has a small sensor that will ride on that and senses if the wheel is locking up and the other side is not. Any grease contamination seems to cause all types of problems. When ever you repack your wheel bearings be sure this area is clean. I use a light spray of Brake Clean and a shop rag to wipe it clean. 

Mine is a 4x4 so i have a hub that is non servicable exept replacing it.
If you google "timken sp580302" you can see how the hubs looks like, i could maybe rebuild the old ones if i had the right tools for it, if i get them off in one piece i will keep them as spares as there are no play in them.
The abs does not use a tone ring as the one you are describing, mine uses a magnetic strip on the bearing that the sensor reads.
Can also be seen in one of the pics of that hub how the sensor sits + i am almost sure that my intermittent fault is caused by a splice that someone have made on the right side abs wire.

2 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

Mine is a 4x4 so i have a hub that is non servicable exept replacing it.
If you google "timken sp580302" you can see how the hubs looks like, i could maybe rebuild the old ones if i had the right tools for it, if i get them off in one piece i will keep them as spares as there are no play in them.
The abs does not use a tone ring as the one you are describing, mine uses a magnetic strip on the bearing that the sensor reads.
Can also be seen in one of the pics of that hub how the sensor sits + i am almost sure that my intermittent fault is caused by a splice that someone have made on the right side abs wire.

Mine were all two wheel drive so they are very different. Sorry I was just trying to help out based on my own experience. Man you sure are paying a premium for have a US type truck.  

58 minutes ago, espo said:

Mine were all two wheel drive so they are very different. Sorry I was just trying to help out based on my own experience. Man you sure are paying a premium for have a US type truck.  

No worries, i could have said it was a 4x4 in my first post.
If i had asked something about that job on my C20 then you would have been a great help as it is a 2wd.

Yeah we are forced to unless we shop parts from US and then do the work ourselfs. even with shipping and customs here the parts are still cheaper to get from the US then they are to get from Sweden
Yes and now i have 7 of them:lol: 3 jeep XJ,s (89-90). 1 Jeep ZJ -93. 1 Chevrolet C20 -82. 1 Chevrolet K2500 -94 . 1 Suburban -97
For some reason the chevys are all diesel v8,s, c20 is a 6.2 and the others are both 6.5td. XJ,s are all 4.0 I6 engine and the ZJ is a 5.2 v8