Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

2 hours ago, Mark said:

You don't know if you lost it by $1, only that the high bidder's bid was higher than yours at the end by that increment.  He might have been willing to pay a lot more than that, it's just that nobody stretched him out more than you did.

I've never used a sniping program, but on the other hand I try to throw my bid in as late as possible.  You only have to be high bidder for one second, just as long as it's the last second. 

Mark's right. You probably didn't lose it by just $1, the high bidder probably bid a lot more. 

The other night I lost a heartbreaker. It was at $57 to the last ten seconds. I bid $89 and it went for $106. This meant there were at least THREE of us trying to snipe it off, and the second-highest bidder bid $105. 

BTW, it was for a model that had been featured in the old Car Model magazine of 50 years ago, or so.  Would have been cool to own it, but ah shucks oh well. I hope the high bidder appreciates it for what it is. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Mark's right. You probably didn't lose it by just $1, the high bidder probably bid a lot more. 

The other night I lost a heartbreaker. It was at $57 to the last ten seconds. I bid $89 and it went for $106. This meant there were at least THREE of us trying to snipe it off, and the second-highest bidder bid $105. 

BTW, it was for a model that had been featured in the old Car Model magazine of 50 years ago, or so.  Would have been cool to own it, but ah shucks oh well. I hope the high bidder appreciates it for what it is. 

I got the one you are referring to (as well as two other Car Model cover/article cars); I do intend to preserve all of them as-is (and build copies of the other two).  They have tangible history with the documentation to back it up.  After sneaking up on the first one and bagging the second, the bidding on the contest car jumped from around $15 or so to the $57 figure, where it stayed for a couple of days.  I noticed there were two $57 bids from different bidders, meaning there was "no slack left in the rope", that at that moment it was maxed out.  I had the guy ship the other two not figuring on getting that one, but at the end I thought it was "within reach".  Collectors talk about how rare a '66 Valiant promo or '69 AMC Rebel kit is, but how many documented early/mid Sixties contest/magazine article cars are left?  One of my buddies has another car that appeared in a small photo from coverage of a contest, he got it from the guy who built it who still lives in the area.  

So, I am building a fly rod for a compitition. I have been working on the wraps for a week and was finally finishing up the cross wraps on the butt section when I cut the wrong thread and the whole thing came undone. One weeks worth of work, gone in less than a minute. Oh well, time to soldier on and rewrap.

34 minutes ago, Mark said:

I got the one you are referring to (as well as two other Car Model cover/article cars); I do intend to preserve all of them as-is (and build copies of the other two).  They have tangible history with the documentation to back it up.  After sneaking up on the first one and bagging the second, the bidding on the contest car jumped from around $15 or so to the $57 figure, where it stayed for a couple of days.  I noticed there were two $57 bids from different bidders, meaning there was "no slack left in the rope", that at that moment it was maxed out.  I had the guy ship the other two not figuring on getting that one, but at the end I thought it was "within reach".  Collectors talk about how rare a '66 Valiant promo or '69 AMC Rebel kit is, but how many documented early/mid Sixties contest/magazine article cars are left?  One of my buddies has another car that appeared in a small photo from coverage of a contest, he got it from the guy who built it who still lives in the area.  

Mark, you would not BELIEVE how HAPPY I am that YOU won that auction. I didn't even really want it that much, but I didn't want it to go to someone who would re-do and "ruin" it--I HOPED that it would go to someone who knew what it was and would honor its history and I am very confident that YOU are that guy. THANK YOU! B)

I'm pretty sure I know the other two models you got. One of them has two different names painted on the sides, doesn't it? I didn't even try to bid on that one as it's a fairly rare kit and I thought the bidding would be stiff--and that it would go to someone who wanted to rebuild it. Again, I'm happy YOU got it (and the other one, too).B)

Meanwhile, I did win on two other models from that seller--both Mustangs (maybe you saw them), both featured in Car Model. One was the subject of an extremely detailed EIGHT (!) page how-to/construction article in Car Model exactly 50 years ago this very month. It needs some repair but hell, I have "the manual" on how the thing was built originally--what could be better? I'm going to try to restore it, and then see if maybe Gustavson wants it for the National Model Car Museum. (When I get it, I'll be taking pics of it and the other Mustang and posting them in General--watch for it in about a week or so). Ironically, that very same issue of Car Model had a model of mine in it--as a winner in the Meyers Manx Dune buggy contest. I couldn't be more proud right now. B)

Drop me a note if you want to talk about some of this stuff: SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com. B)

I saw the Malco Gasser Mustang, but passed on it because I've got a pile of parts to build one better than the kit (AMT annual kit body, first issue MPC chassis, and other "better" parts).  I figured whoever got that one would know what it is, and take care of it.

I did get the Coronet.  There are two articles on it: one outlines the altered wheelbase conversion, the other shows how to do hand lettering (hence different themes on opposite sides of the car).  The third was a chopped and sectioned '49 Mercury.  I knew it was an article car, but forgot about the cover shot until I dug out the magazine.  The build is so-so but looks interesting.  It's obviously rushed for a deadline, looks okay on top but not so hot underneath.

I've got enough original Coronet stuff to build another one, but might use a Polar Lights kit just because.  Maybe do two, one with each lettering scheme on both sides.

The Merc is chopped "wrong" in that the roof is stretched (using a second kit) and the rear window opening is cut.  I'd do the new one the same way, just because.  It was built in 1966 using two Mercury kits molded in black.  I'd bet Auto World (then connected with Car Model) still had a bunch of those early production black kits in stock, and supplied them to the builder in hopes of stirring up demand for them.  Interesting stuff which makes collecting fun...

The gun talk reminded me of a charming guy in my neighborhood with an interesting hobby: he's a doper who supports himself by breaking into cars, and sometimes houses. 

Couple of years ago, he went on a Sunday morning shopping trip.  Among the loot he stole from cars: 2 loaded handguns. After that morning of hard work, he got high and settled down in his car for a well-deserved nap.  That's where the cops found him, surrounded by stolen property, and arrested him.

Just recently, he decided to go for a new Personal Best, I guess.  Along with some other cars, he broke into a Chevy Tahoe that was a Deputy Sheriff's patrol vehicle. He stole 2 police rifles, body armor and other tactical gear.

This guy is a Frequent Flyer with all the cops in the area.  So they went straight to his house with a warrant, and recovered the police gear along with a bunch of other recently stolen stuff.  He's currently in jail on bond of $200K plus.  And I hope he stays there.

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

The gun talk reminded me of a charming guy in my neighborhood with an interesting hobby: he's a doper who supports himself by breaking into cars, and sometimes houses. 

Couple of years ago, he went on a Sunday morning shopping trip.  Among the loot he stole from cars: 2 loaded handguns. After that morning of hard work, he got high and settled down in his car for a well-deserved nap.  That's where the cops found him, surrounded by stolen property, and arrested him.

Just recently, he decided to go for a new Personal Best, I guess.  Along with some other cars, he broke into a Chevy Tahoe that was a Deputy Sheriff's patrol vehicle. He stole 2 police rifles, body armor and other tactical gear.

This guy is a Frequent Flyer with all the cops in the area.  So they went straight to his house with a warrant, and recovered the police gear along with a bunch of other recently stolen stuff.  He's currently in jail on bond of $200K plus.  And I hope he stays there.

Some states have a "three strikes your out" rule. This would give the repeat offender a substantial time behind bars. Not a bad idea in my opinion.  

18 hours ago, Mark said:

Mark- It would be cool if you would post the cars, and the articles.

Let the museum know that the cars still exist and that you have them.  Then if they are on the "Lost" list that can be updated.    Are any of them on  the "Clone The Past" list?

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Mark- It would be cool if you would post the cars, and the articles.

I have Part 1 on Mark's Dodge, but I don't think I have Part 2. I don't know if I have the Merc article or not--I wasn't looking for that when I went through my mags last night looking for the articles on my two Mustangs. 

I also have the Car Model Custom Annual that has the "contest model" Mark spoke of--a couple color pics, and a complete B&W how-to writeup. I don't know if that one ever appeared in the regular magazine, or just the Custom Annual. 

OK. Great start to the day. I get up. Put the coffee and water into the coffee maker and start that. Walk over to the table and sit down to test my sugar. Takes a few minutes to do that seeing I'm a newbie at it. Go back to get a cup of coffee and for some reason the coffee pot backed up. There are coffee and grounds all over the counter top. Down the cabinet fronts. The refrigerator. All over the floor and under the refrigerator. On the bright side I have been meaning to pull the refrigerator out and vacuuming it out so I guess that is a plus. LOL 

52 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

OK. Great start to the day. I get up. Put the coffee and water into the coffee maker and start that. Walk over to the table and sit down to test my sugar. Takes a few minutes to do that seeing I'm a newbie at it. Go back to get a cup of coffee and for some reason the coffee pot backed up. There are coffee and grounds all over the counter top. Down the cabinet fronts. The refrigerator. All over the floor and under the refrigerator. On the bright side I have been meaning to pull the refrigerator out and vacuuming it out so I guess that is a plus. LOL 

You aren't by chance using a Mr. Coffee maker ?? I have had the same problem with one several times and found it had to do with the top of the coffee pot. The top is supposed to allow the freshly brewed coffee to pass thru it and into the pot. This doesn't always happen as the top ages. Just leave the top off the pot while brewing and problem solved.   

18 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I have Part 1 on Mark's Dodge, but I don't think I have Part 2. I don't know if I have the Merc article or not--I wasn't looking for that when I went through my mags last night looking for the articles on my two Mustangs. 

I also have the Car Model Custom Annual that has the "contest model" Mark spoke of--a couple color pics, and a complete B&W how-to writeup. I don't know if that one ever appeared in the regular magazine, or just the Custom Annual. 

I've got one Car Model Contest Annual (centered around the first Revell contest in '63), and three compilations of CAR MODEL articles.  One is called "The Big Book of Car Modeling" , it's probably from about 1965, and two other compilations dated 1967 and 1968.  All of them have reprints of articles from the magazine (some are in all three!), a few are edited/updated, some have the original writers' names deleted.  I don't believe any of these have any totally new/original material.  Probably a "quick buck" thing for CAR MODEL; the writers sold the articles for a one-time payment, and signed over the reprint rights when they did that.  I'm not claiming to have all of these; there may be more.  In fact, I'm hoping there are annuals for the second and third Revell contests.

The '57 Chevy build is covered in one of the 1964 issues, and it's on the cover as well.  It was entered in the '65 Revell contest, which I don't know whether or not they did an annual for like the '63 contest.  The original build had wheels, tires, and slicks from the Revell '57 kit.  As it sits now, those have been switched out for AMT '55 Nomad mags, slicks, and front tires, and a custom grille bar was added from an AMT '56 Ford kit.  Other than that, it's pretty much the same.  It's in good shape, though the seam between the wood section of the roof and the front part of the original roof is now visible. 

I've got all 133 issues of CAR MODEL magazine; the one with the first half of the Dodge article is the only one of the lot that hasn't got the cover.  I guess I'll be keeping an eye open for one on eBay and/or NNL East.  The second half issue (December '65?) does have two pictures of the car on the cover. 

I do plan on posting all three as soon as I get the data stepped up on my phone (which is a better camera than my camera).  Between this stuff and a job search, the thing is pretty much overwhelmed right now...

3 hours ago, espo said:

You aren't by chance using a Mr. Coffee maker ?? I have had the same problem with one several times and found it had to do with the top of the coffee pot. The top is supposed to allow the freshly brewed coffee to pass thru it and into the pot. This doesn't always happen as the top ages. Just leave the top off the pot while brewing and problem solved.   

Funny thing is David. I bought a new percolator a couple of weeks ago and it always has grounds in the bottom of your cup. You can see that it rises to the top of the metal basket during brewing. I've tried making a filter. Grinding my own beans. Always grounds. So I thought I'd like a coffee with no grounds this morning. Joke was on me huh? LOL. It's a Proctor Silex drip coffee maker that has worked fine until this morning. Used it right up till I bought the percolator a couple of weeks ago. My sister said to buy a Keurig. But I'm one of those people who hates to send things to the landfill like all the little coffee pods.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

I've got all 133 issues of CAR MODEL magazine; the one with the first half of the Dodge article is the only one of the lot that hasn't got the cover.  I guess I'll be keeping an eye open for one on eBay and/or NNL East.  The second half issue (December '65?) does have two pictures of the car on the cover. 

My copy has the cover. If you don't turn up a good copy, I'll be glad to scan mine for you, provided of course that my cranky scanner cooperates and decides to work. 

Meanwhile, I received the Malco Gasser and the Henry the 8th Mustangs in the mail today. They're in better shape than I thought--should clean up nicely. The Henry one only has the original body, hood, and interior. No glass, and the chassis and wheels/tires have been replaced but that's not a big deal. Dunno what the chassis is but it's molded in beige and has a separate rear axle assembly, so it's not an original AMT chassis. Interestingly, there are NO photos or details of the engine in the original CM article, other than mention that the headers from the Fairlane kit (presumably the '65) were used.  No clue as to induction so I guess it's Restorer's Choice on that. The article mentions using the traction bars from the Fairlane kit, too, but those look easy enough to scratchbuild. 

Looking forward to restoring these. Gotta get my BOYD Build '57 Corvette done first, though. B)

Again,all of a sudden every new neighbor on my block has at least one dog.And there are a lot of new people that just moved in.What is going on?And my next door neighbors dog still howls and cries just like the dog that lived there before.Problem is,that I love dogs so much.But I don't want to hear them all at once:(

On 3/24/2019 at 10:32 PM, espo said:

Maybe, just maybe this guy has a reason for being so paranoid. Sounds as if you did everything correctly. This guy sounds like he could become a little scary. If you haven't already I would git a nice big folder and save all of his rants and threats, dates and times. Even E Bay's letter. If this guy is still carrying on I would consider contacting one of if not all of the alphabet agencies, he has threatened you and one can assume he is armed.        

On 3/25/2019 at 1:35 AM, Joe Handley said:

Yeah, I'm 100% thinking the same as Espo, there's something off about that guy and I would keep a file on him if needed, might not hurt talking to somebody in the local PD if he's "local enough" (day's drive), just in case.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:02 PM, espo said:

I would sit down with someone at the local PD and explain just what has happened. You might want to take any documents you have also. The Officer can't legally give you legal advice but they can give you suggestions as to what options you may have. It will also help if they have knowledge of your situation just in case "The Pull Chain Facility hits the Fan".  

On 3/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, Joe Handley said:

This, 110%!

Actually, I DID save all of the correspondence from him in a folder. eBay didn't do anything about his complaint as they realized that this guy was a flake. I am not worried about him, but I did , as said, save his emails. Heck, I run a gun shop................! But, it does show what kind of people exist "out there" and how some of them think! It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round!

1 hour ago, redneckrigger said:

Actually, I DID save all of the correspondence from him in a folder. eBay didn't do anything about his complaint as they realized that this guy was a flake. I am not worried about him, but I did , as said, save his emails. Heck, I run a gun shop................! But, it does show what kind of people exist "out there" and how some of them think! It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round!

Better safe than sorry. Scary story. One that obviously shouldn’t have a gun. And for the FBI to become involved. I’m sure they’ve been watching him before this happened.

1 hour ago, redneckrigger said:

I don't know if you watch the 10 O'clock News, but this wing nut, from of all places KCMO, got a snout full of meth and decided he should load up all his gun powder and a few fire arms and go have dinner with our President. Virginia's finest clocked him at over 130 MPH.  According to the news he had several guns and a lot of ammo and plans to also visit the Pentagon while he was in town. Thank thanks to the Virginia authorities who stopped him, but it just goes to show there're is a lot people out there who are just ready to go off at any moment.         

8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Funny thing is David. I bought a new percolator a couple of weeks ago and it always has grounds in the bottom of your cup. You can see that it rises to the top of the metal basket during brewing. I've tried making a filter. Grinding my own beans. Always grounds. So I thought I'd like a coffee with no grounds this morning. Joke was on me huh? LOL. It's a Proctor Silex drip coffee maker that has worked fine until this morning. Used it right up till I bought the percolator a couple of weeks ago. My sister said to buy a Keurig. But I'm one of those people who hates to send things to the landfill like all the little coffee pods.

It sounds as if we both like a good cup of Coffee in the morning. I order all of mine from Peet's in San Francisco with whole beans and grind my own as needed. I have tried the percolator method before and experienced some of the same problems. Mine had two different metal baskets neither of which worked for me. I have gone back to the old drip method and it just seems to work the best for me anyway.     

11 hours ago, espo said:

It sounds as if we both like a good cup of Coffee in the morning. I order all of mine from Peet's in San Francisco with whole beans and grind my own as needed. I have tried the percolator method before and experienced some of the same problems. Mine had two different metal baskets neither of which worked for me. I have gone back to the old drip method and it just seems to work the best for me anyway.     

I'd really love to find an old Cory coffee pot like my great aunt had. It made the best coffee. Problem with them is finding one where the runner is still pliable. 

s-l640.jpg

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

I'd really love to find an old Cory coffee pot like my great aunt had. It made the best coffee. Problem with them is finding one where the runner is still pliable. 

s-l640.jpg

My Grandparents had the same coffee maker. I'd check around old Antique and Consignment places. 

I bought a four foot tall Homer Simpson dressed as Dancing Homer.  It was stained as if it was in a flooded basement so I opened it up, discarded all the styrofoam inside and ran it through the washer.....came out fine.  Now to restuff it.  Went to the store and got a bag of bean bag styrofoam pellets and proceeded to restuff it.  It's close but needs to be stuffed full and then restitched.  I looked at a couple YouTube videos and it's now just needing a little bit more and then stitched closed.  I lack that talent so I reached out to the local dry cleaner and they said their seamstress could probably do it so I brought it in.  I dropped it off with a back of the pellets and several hours later they called to say it would be $55 to top it off as they would have to send it out.  Are they sending it to Florida via a First Class airline ticket?  Um, NO!  I went back up the next morning and the lady said they were swamped with wedding and prom dresses.  I wasn't trying to get my daughter into USC (too soon?) so I wasn't throwing money at the problem to jump the line.....just need it restuffed.

I have removed all the posts about the arrest of Art Anderson. This is not the place to have those discussions. Folks can search for the information themselves, please stop posting links. Use the PM function or go elsewhere to talk about it.