Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

9 hours ago, High octane said:

National Geographic says there's floating islands of plastic waste? That has nothing to do with plastic, and EVERYTHING to do with humans who don't know how to dispose of plastic waste or are just too LAZY. Otherwise known as SLOBS. Lets not cover up the truth like what they're doing on the news channels on TV.

How does all the plastic get in the ocean? I can't understand why people don't respect the plant....

14 hours ago, High octane said:

National Geographic says there's floating islands of plastic waste? That has nothing to do with plastic, and EVERYTHING to do with humans who don't know how to dispose of plastic waste or are just too LAZY. Otherwise known as SLOBS. Lets not cover up the truth like what they're doing on the news channels on TV.

You said it alright....Our oceans and rivers have become dumping grounds for years.Its like when someone is sweeping it under the rug?

4 hours ago, slusher said:

How does all the plastic get in the ocean? I can't understand why people don't respect the plant....

While I'm not really sure, I think that it comes from our younger generations who seem to have little or NO respect for a lot of things that we were taught to respect back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

1 hour ago, High octane said:

While I'm not really sure, I think that it comes from our younger generations who seem to have little or NO respect for a lot of things that we were taught to respect back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

You are so right friend....

Another reason why there is a lot of “trash” in our waterways ,is simply because people throw garbage from their boats.Sometimes it is thrown over board, and other times, garbage might accidentally be thrown out.An example is the waste from large cruise ships.

I don't believe we are doing ocean dumping of trash anymore, at least in the USA.  A lot of ocean trash is stuff washed out in storms like the tsunamis and hurricanes.  It took months but stuff from Japan was washing up on US western shores.   And just recently I saw a photo on Facebook of a New Jersey real estate sign on the beach in France, supposedly from Hurricane Sandy.

The issue with plastic in the ocean is that it never breaks down.  Paper, wood, metals and other debris will eventually break down and go away.  Some of it will be consumed by ocean life.  But plastic is forever.  It is very resilient and   will be floating around for a very long time.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

...The issue with plastic in the ocean is that it never breaks down...plastic is forever. 

Actually, that's not true.

Plastic in landfills is pretty much forever, but plastics exposed to UV from sunlight and oxygen will break down over time, even our favorite styrene, and the polyester and epoxy-matrices in fiberglass products.

This is the reason that much effort has been spent developing stabilization methods to achieve longer product life in products made from plastics. Plastic dashboards in cars, for instance. The cracking we're all familiar with is due to breaking down from environmental effects. Eventually, they'll turn to inert powder.

And though all plastics can be recycled one way or another, it's usually not done because there's no (or very little) economic incentive to do so.

It's not profitable, and nobody cares enough to do it just because it's the right thing to do.

There are many ways that individuals can reduce the amount of plastic being wasted and landfilled, but again, they usually just can't be bothered. 

And the no-plastic-bag and plastic-straw-bans are stupid, uninformed knee-jerk programs that accomplish almost nothing. The truth is that the plastics both products are made from are very easily recyclable, but the typical volumes are so low that, again, recycling companies won't bother with the stuff.

Some stores take a more intelligent approach. Publix, for instance, has receptacles outside the store for used bags and other polystyrene packaging materials. They collect a sufficient volume of the stuff so that it's actually worthwhile for a recycling company to pick it up on a regular basis.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Plastic in landfills is pretty much forever, but plastics exposed to UV from sunlight and oxygen will break down over time, even our favorite styrene, and the polyester and epoxy-matrices in fiberglass products.

Everything will eventually break down and dissipate.  But the problem is that plastics in the ocean are outliving the other garbage. Or at least the floating kinda stuff.

18 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Everything will eventually break down and dissipate.  But the problem is that plastics in the ocean are outliving the other garbage. Or at least the floating kinda stuff.

What I corrected was your incorrect statements that plastic "never" breaks down and that it's "forever".

Yes, the floating garbage is a very real problem, but there is much misinformation floating around about it as well.

For instance, one of Canada's environmental honchos recently quoted a widely spread false assertion that a dead whale had been found with 40 kilos of plastic in its stomach.

There was much wringing of hands and quavering concerned voices.

Then somebody corrected her with the truth that the "photographic evidence" widely circulated on the idiot-parroting internet was in fact an art-installation done to draw attention to the floating waste problem.

Accuracy matters.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

36 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This is the reason that much effort has been spent developing stabilization methods to achieve longer product life in products made from plastics. Plastic dashboards in cars, for instance. The cracking we're all familiar with is due to breaking down from environmental effects. Eventually, they'll turn to inert powder.

And though all plastics can be recycled one way or another, it's usually not done because there's no (or very little) economic incentive to do so.

It's not profitable, and nobody cares enough to do it just because it's the right thing to do.

There are many ways that individuals can reduce the amount of plastic being wasted and landfilled, but again, they usually just can't be bothered. 

And the no-plastic-bag and plastic-straw-bans are stupid, uninformed knee-jerk programs that accomplish almost nothing. The truth is that the plastics both products are made from are very easily recyclable, but the typical volumes are so low that, again, recycling companies won't bother with the stuff.

Some stores take a more intelligent approach. Publix, for instance, has receptacles outside the store for used bags and other polystyrene packaging materials. They collect a sufficient volume of the stuff so that it's actually worthwhile for a recycling company to pick it up on a regular basis.

We have stores that have receptacles for used bags and guess what I forgot to bring when I went to the store this morning? BINGO, my plastic bags to be recycled. Oh well, next time I'll take them as I go to the store often enough.

Welp I had to deal again with those cheap,and now horribly made plastic bags at a supermarket near me.Got it all in my car,well I had a shopping cart.But walking up to the house,I lose two bottoms of the bags:angry:.I keep my shopping bags 90% of the time, but they just rip.Luckily I didn’t lose anything. 

15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Frigging Wasps!  I was working in the yard today, reached down to pick up some old leaves and found their nest!  Ouch! One got me, I smashed him in return.  Still hurts!

Did you get the stinger out? If not, don't squeeze it with tweezers, that just pushes venom in......... you want to scrub across where he stung you with a credit card.....

11 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Did you get the stinger out? If not, don't squeeze it with tweezers, that just pushes venom in......... you want to scrub across where he stung you with a credit card.....

All's well that ends well.  My hand is fine now.  I hit the wasp quickly, I don't think he had time to get the stinger in because I couldn't find one.

According to Forbes, China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam dump more plastic in the oceans than everyone else combined!   Their article was dated April 21, 2018.  The Ocean Conservancy was cited as the source and this was based on 2017 data.

While we can do a better job of recycling, we are not the problem.  Personally, it gets more than a little tiresome that the environmentalists will not point out the real culprits of the problem.  I get it that they have their agenda to push, but if they are not going to go after the real polluters, then what good are they really doing?

48 minutes ago, Jim N said:

According to Forbes, China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam dump more plastic in the oceans than everyone else combined!   Their article was dated April 21, 2018.  The Ocean Conservancy was cited as the source and this was based on 2017 data.

While we can do a better job of recycling, we are not the problem.  Personally, it gets more than a little tiresome that the environmentalists will not point out the real culprits of the problem.  I get it that they have their agenda to push, but if they are not going to go after the real polluters, then what good are they really doing?

Certainly the countries you mention do not have adequate, if any, trash disposal systems. So their trash, including plastic, gets dumped all over the place. Since they are coastal/island nations, a lot of that trash ends up in the ocean.

However, some of those countries have been importing huge amounts of plastic from the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia and others, supposedly to recycle it, since it is not cost effective to do it here. I suspect that some percentage of their "recycling" consists of just dumping it.

Recently, China and Malaysia are no longer accepting foreign plastic for recycling. In fact, Malaysia is returning hundreds of tons of plastic to the countries of origin. We will see what happens then.

Edited by Kit Basher

39 minutes ago, Jim N said:

I agree. All the environmentalists and politicians can think of is taking stuff away. Our federal government is proposing a single use plastics ban. Yet when there is a disaster you see them delivering cases and cases of bottled water. What happens now? We recycle like crazy. Instead of taking away useful products from us, how about going after the people who are dumping plastic in the ocean/lakes. If companies who are responsible for recycling plastic are dumping illegally, go after them, not the little guy. These days people use skip the dishes and Alexa and want self driving cars and the stupid environmentalists think they’ll bring refillable containers to the grocery store? Yeah, right!

8 hours ago, Jim N said:

...Personally, it gets more than a little tiresome that the environmentalists will not point out the real culprits of the problem.  I get it that they have their agenda to push, but if they are not going to go after the real polluters, then what good are they really doing?

Somewhat similar situation exists with CO2. China, at about 30% of global CO2 emissions, produces roughly twice as much CO2 as the US (as of 2015).

Even on the three lane, one direction, highways around here the center lane becomes the slow lane. They usually are going at least 15 to 20 mph below the posted speed limit. Then of course we have more than our fair share of left lane sitters. I have often entered the highway and driven at or just over the posted 70 mph and never leave the lane for 20 + miles before I get off. I anticipate the cars entering and leaving the lane and very my speed to allow them to enter or leave without crowding them. I'll actually make better time driving this way and get to my off ramp often far ahead of the cars that stayed in the left lane and dealt with all of the other drivers and their issues in the operation of a motor vehicle. Driving is very hard for some people and you can't help but think some of them are just trying to see how many people they can mess with on the highway.