Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Fox Sports 1. Top Fuel driver Mike Salinas wins the final and they leave the program without an interview so we can watch the Xfinity pre-race show which is basically a waste of time because all they do is gab about who they think will win this race. Terrible horrible punch to the gut decision.

I would let Fox know of your displeasure with their coverage of Drag Racing. I often think that the people who control these things have little or no understanding of Motor Sports in general and really couldn't care less.  

I didn't find a way to contact Fox and as you pointed out they probably don't care anyway. I did contact NHRA letting them know that their fans and their sport were cheated because Fox couldn't spend an extra minute to interview a guy who just broke another competitors 5 race win streak.

This may have everything to do with the contract Fox has with NASCAR.  It should be of some consolation that at least you got to see the race.  I remember a number of years ago, the local network switched coverage of an NFL game to their home town game in the middle of a play!  When they switched, the opening kickoff was still several minutes away.  Of course the game they switched away from involved my favorite team and I missed the end of what was a pretty exciting game.

What irked me today. My 1956 Ford Victoria build. It's back in the purple pond for the 6th time. Sprayed with duplicator primer. Fine. Sprayed with Testor's black enamel. Looked great. Fine. Waited 3 weeks. Masked it off this morning. Sprayed Model Master's yellow for the two tone effect. Looked great for 4 seconds. Then the whole thing crinkled. No more 2 tone builds for me. Strictly one color builds. 

I'd try and stay with the same brand of paint from start to finish. Seems like those who are having the most paint problems are trying to use paints from many different sources and they aren't always compatible. 

50 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

What irked me today. My 1956 Ford Victoria build. It's back in the purple pond for the 6th time. Sprayed with duplicator primer. Fine. Sprayed with Testor's black enamel. Looked great. Fine. Waited 3 weeks. Masked it off this morning. Sprayed Model Master's yellow for the two tone effect. Looked great for 4 seconds. Then the whole thing crinkled. No more 2 tone builds for me. Strictly one color builds. 

If you're going to do 2-tones, use lacquer. Trying to overpaint enamel...even the same brand enamel that's dried for weeks...is asking for problems.

Lacquer dries hard enough to topcoat overnight. No wrinkling.

And everything is safe to use over Duplicolor sandable primers (I have no experience with their "sealer primer", so I'll let those who do chime in).

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I would have shot the yellow first in lacquer, and then waited a week, masked off the yellow you wanted and sprayed the black in lacquer as well. I believe this would've have worked better.

1 hour ago, High octane said:

I would have shot the yellow first in lacquer, and then waited a week, masked off the yellow you wanted and sprayed the black in lacquer as well. I believe this would've have worked better.

This was what I was after. So I did it backwards? Figures. LOL

ford.jpg

Storm came through with some nasty winds.  Took down part of a tree a block away and that took down a power line.  We lost power for a couple of hours.  Nasty part is that another big branch of that same tree took out power about a month ago.  I might go over there with the chain saw and take the whole BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH tree down.

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

It sounds like you painted the entire car one color, then masked parts of it and recoated the rest with another color.  Don't do that; instead mask the intended black areas and shoot the yellow, then mask the yellow areas and shoot the black.  Saves paint, and besides, why have double layers of paint anywhere?  

1 hour ago, Mark said:

It sounds like you painted the entire car one color, then masked parts of it and recoated the rest with another color.  Don't do that; instead mask the intended black areas and shoot the yellow, then mask the yellow areas and shoot the black.  Saves paint, and besides, why have double layers of paint anywhere?  

Thank you. That’s exactly what I did. Now I know better. I’m old but still learning. :)

Dealing with the Building Department.  I don't get paid enough for this! :angry:  Ron Smith mentioned cutting trees down, if it has anything to do with wildfire mitigation, then be glad.  We have what is called the Urban Wildland Interface Code.  Doing deck additions is a PITA anymore, if the existing house has 4x4 posts, the new addition or replacement needs to be 8x8, or fire retardant treated lumber.  Fire Marshal said it costs only a little more, yea right.

4 hours ago, ewetwo said:

This was what I was after. So I did it backwards? Figures. LOL

ford.jpg

After you spray the yellow and mask it off, be SURE to spray a little clear along the tape edges. That way if there's any bleed through the tape edge, it will be clear. Wait 'bout 20 minutes and then spray your black and it should come out just fine. Sorry as I forgot to mention this before and it is important.

Well I Went to a car show, today, and my ex friend.I say ex, cause I can’t stand the guy.And we don’t hang out together working on our cars.Well I haven’t seen him in months.He pulls up,I see him for two minutes and he’s already in a fight with some vendor.We had to break it up and pull the guy off.Thats why I stopped hanging out with him.He would get into fights all the time.Thinking he is one bad A hole. He’s out there. ?

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well I Went to a car show, today, and my ex friend.I say ex, cause I can’t stand the guy.And we don’t hang out together working on our cars.Well I haven’t seen him in months.He pulls up,I see him for two minutes and he’s already in a fight with some vendor.We had to break it up and pull the guy off.Thats why I stopped hanging out with him.He would get into fights all the time.Thinking he is one bad A hole. He’s out there. ?

Guess I've been lucky as I've been to many car shows and cruise nights over the last 10 years and everyone seems to get along really good. Not even bad words among each other. We're at the events to enjoy our ride to and fro, enjoy other people's rides, and talk with each other as well. Just good times.

What irked me Saturday was almost cutting the end of my finger off while using the electric power hedge trimmer. Luckily it missed the nail and bone. Ergent Care glued it back together. I almost fainted once I got there as I'm not good with things like this.

4 hours ago, ewetwo said:

What irked me Saturday was almost cutting the end of my finger off while using the electric power hedge trimmer. Luckily it missed the nail and bone. Ergent Care glued it back together. I almost fainted once I got there as I'm not good with things like this.

OOOOUUUCCCHHHH!!!!

I sliced the side of my finger in much the same manor but with an under counter light fixture. They also glued it back together instead of stitches. I guess now I know what a plastic model must feel like. 

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Old lady not letting me in when lanes merge, happens often in Prescott.  I tailgated until she turned into Costco, when she flips me off.  She had one of these plates:

HYPOCRITE PLATE.jpg

So she knows she is a D-bag!  Nice!