Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Ok,Idk if I should be upset over this because I don’t have any children.But I had to watch my (11)year old nephew, throw a crying hissy fit because he missed his mother.He was with his father, and myself.We all have a great relationship.But again not having any children though I ask, isn’t 11years old a bit too old to have a crying tantrum because they miss their mommies.She was at a concert in NYC and sleeping over night at her friends..I mean I tried to calm him down.He even talked to her later via face time, and talked to her on the phone, but he still wouldn’t calm down.After awhile, he was getting me really angry,I just gave up..Fantastic,my nephew is a little momma’s boy...Great.?

On 6/30/2019 at 12:44 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Long Island NY humidity ?????Sucks.?

The humidity and heat in Brooklyn has been pretty terrible too - seems like there's no way to get away from it! 

It's about time we got an air conditioner, I think...

28 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

The humidity and heat in Brooklyn has been pretty terrible too - seems like there's no way to get away from it! 

It's about time we got an air conditioner, I think...

Wait it’s about time you got an AC?Huh,how long have you been living in Brooklyn?And you have no AC?Do u live in a large meat freezer?:D Man.I simply hate the heat,and I’m ready for the Fall.

1 minute ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wait it’s about time you got an AC?Huh,how long have you been living in Brooklyn?And you have no AC?Do u live in a large meat freezer?:D Man.I simply hate the heat,and I’m ready for the Fall.

I've been in the city for a few years now - the last couple of places I rented had AC units included so I never had to buy one...then I got married, moved in with my wife and she was in the same situation, she'd never needed to buy one before...but now we're sharing a place and we TRIED just using a couple of free-standing and window fans but it's really not working out too well :D

13 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I've been in the city for a few years now - the last couple of places I rented had AC units included so I never had to buy one...then I got married, moved in with my wife and she was in the same situation, she'd never needed to buy one before...but now we're sharing a place and we TRIED just using a couple of free-standing and window fans but it's really not working out too well :D

Get an AC my friend.It will be worth it.I promise.✋

On 6/25/2019 at 9:53 PM, High octane said:

I have a LOT of bushes to trim so I don't think that a cordless would work out for me that well.

I trim about 20 shrubs and trees. I can usually do it on one charge. But I have extra batteries as I bought a whole 18 volt tool kit and they all work off the same 18 volt lithium batteries. 

8 hours ago, High octane said:

10:49 p.m. here and the skies are still not quiet.

Sounded like World War 3 out there until after midnight.  Quiet this morning while all the drunks sleep it off!   Probably will get more amateurs over the weekend if they still have stuff!

13 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

What bowl?!? This is how it's done.

This is why I love dogs. They are just out there and have no shame, if it feels good just do it.  We had a Lab. and I don't doubt he would have done the same thing. 

21 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ok,Idk if I should be upset over this because I don’t have any children.But I had to watch my (11)year old nephew, throw a crying hissy fit because he missed his mother.He was with his father, and myself.We all have a great relationship.But again not having any children though I ask, isn’t 11years old a bit too old to have a crying tantrum because they miss their mommies.She was at a concert in NYC and sleeping over night at her friends..I mean I tried to calm him down.He even talked to her later via face time, and talked to her on the phone, but he still wouldn’t calm down.After awhile, he was getting me really angry,I just gave up..Fantastic,my nephew is a little momma’s boy...Great.?

Both of our kids are now in their 20's but they had some incredible melt downs growing up.  A teacher of one of our kid's told us that when kids turn 12 - 13 a switch turns in their brains and they are able to start to think more like an adult.  When they have emotional difficulties, they also start to deal with them differently.  Typically the crying fits start coming to an end. 

11 is a little old to met down over not being with his mom.  I could see it to some degree if both parents left him with you, but you said the dad was with you.  Kids melt down over some unusual things, and it may not have had anything to do with being with you or missing his mom.  Mom being away could have merely been the trigger.  As frustrating as it may be, the only thing you can really do in this type of instance is let the kid get over it himself.  If you get angry or lose your temper with them in the middle of the melt down, it will make things worse.  What we usually did was put the kid in a room by himself or herself and let them know that they could come out when they were ready to behave as we expect.  After a while, they got over it.

Hopefully you will not have to witness something like this again.

Are his parents "helicopter parents", the type who hover over their children and pretty much over-supervise his every move? I've seen parents who acted like this when my 16 year old was younger. These parents literally would follow their kids onto the playground equipment in the park, instructing the kids on how to play, organizing their activities 24/7 (arranging dumb stuff like "play dates" :rolleyes:) and not letting them learn to act like real kids and develop their own personalities. Those same kids, as they got older, devolved into obnoxious, whiny, undisciplined teens possessing a false sense of entitlement. My kid avoided them because he didn't want to hang out with crybabies. :D

42 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Are his parents "helicopter parents", the type who hover over their children and pretty much over-supervise his every move? I've seen parents who acted like this when my 16 year old was younger. These parents literally would follow their kids onto the playground equipment in the park, instructing the kids on how to play, organizing their activities 24/7 (arranging dumb stuff like "play dates" :rolleyes:) and not letting them learn to act like real kids and develop their own personalities. Those same kids, as they got older, devolved into obnoxious, whiny, undisciplined teens possessing a false sense of entitlement. My kid avoided them because he didn't want to hang out with crybabies. :D

No his parents ,my brother and his wife don’t over protect him.But I know exactly what you are saying...And nowadays kids don’t hang out together.Like you said, they have stupid “play dates”.Yea ok, you have to practically make a schedule for your kids to play with other kids...It’s like,oh is Billy available at 3:15 on so and so date?Can we make an appointment for them to play together.We didn’t have play dates when I was growing up.Like now..Oh let me check my schedule.No we just went outside and ran around and played with our friends.

I had a kid in his mid-twenties working for me a while ago. When I had to fire him, his mommy stormed in the next day to yell and scream. After I told her the numerous reasons for his termination she demanded to talk to the owner of the business who simply said if I fired him, he was fine with that.

Those are the types of parents that stunt a kid's development and make them unable to deal with life as they get older.

Edited by Phirewriter

She's pissed because you threw a wrench into her plans and that means Xander, her perpetually Peter Pan-like kidult son, will still be living at home. Thanks to you, his mother is going to ship him off for an extended playcation in America's newest theme park,  MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Brooklyn! :D

Well just to give you an idea of what the mentality in his family, mommy came flying into the parking lot and parked in the only disabled parking space we had (she's not handicapped, at least not physically ?) and was yelling at every employee she encountered until she got to me. Certainly could understand were he got his unfounded sense of entitlement. Yikes! At least I can look at my kids and grandkids and know I'll never have to contend with that kind of nonsense.

Edited by Phirewriter

On 7/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, SfanGoch said:

Hey, Jim. Head over to the Promenade for the fireworks tonight. I'm about to walk out the door in a few. At least there's a pretty good breeze around Remsen Place and you can pick up some cold ones on Montague. :D

We actually wandered around our neighborhood for 20 minutes or so and saw a HUGE display right by our buidling...so we went home and had a pretty good view right out of our window :D

2v2Ehprqdxue8Lf.jpg

2v2Ehf7zFxue8Lf.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Get an AC my friend.It will be worth it.I promise.✋

Incredibly, this was on the sidewalk outside ours this morning with a sign saying "FREE - WORKS":

2v2Ehftrdxue8Lf.jpg

Cleaned it up, plugged it in, it works!  The super saw me messing with it and came and put the mounting bracket in the window right away so we could start using it and we're all set!

Oh wait, this is the "what irked you" thread....well, I guess I had to go buy the super a 6 pack of beers as thanks for installing it.  Cost me nearly $10 :D