Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Another? cruise night rained out.Ahhhhh?At the last second.Nice all day,then I’m about to leave and the clouds and thunder come rolling on in.Now its pouring.Ok I mean if it’s going to rain,might as well hope for a lot,to water my grass.

Yup, rained cats and dogs here around 5:30pm.   A few rain drops as we got into the car to go to one of our favorite watering holes for happy hour and Wednesday burger special.  Soon enough it was like driving through a car wash!   We pull into the restaurant parking lot, park and the rain dead stopped!  Didn't get a drop on us going inside.   It's been raining again on and off since!

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Oven is dry heat too ! ?

That is true.But the humidity hear in NY sucks.I might as well be living in Florida.Then once again tonight I was at a car cruise for about 1/2 hour,and then the skies just opened up.And there was flooding everywhere..A couple of friends took off their blades off their show cars.IMO,Dumb idea.Yea I don’t need wipers.It never sees rain.Well tonight they saw a lot of rain.??.Hmmm oh well drive carefully or wait till the rain stops.

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Oven is dry heat too ! ?

I have been in Arizona during monsoon season,  and it is comparable with what I have seen in Thailand, India, and the end of a US hurricane that bounced off of the south end of Ireland when I was there. Ain't always dry in Arizona! 

On August 21, 2019 at 6:31 PM, cobraman said:

Send some of that rain my way please ! 

Ray,. We have had rain every week since last November. We are going to beak the wettest year in Tennessee history and that was last year ... I wish I could send you some...

Wife made me spend the day with her and her family. went to lunch and movie. After they decided to go back to their house. 2 of them fell asleep the other went into a different room because she didn't want to watch the TV show on. My wife fell asleep too. Leaving me sitting there by myself for 1.5 hours. she wonders why I never want to go with them 

8 minutes ago, youpey said:

Wife made me spend the day with her and her family. went to lunch and movie. After they decided to go back to their house. 2 of them fell asleep the other went into a different room because she didn't want to watch the TV show on. My wife fell asleep too. Leaving me sitting there by myself for 1.5 hours. she wonders why I never want to go with them 

Oh. I hear you. LOL

3 hours ago, youpey said:

This is why I am NEVER without a book, or at least 3 or 4 magazines I haven't yet read. And a full pack of smokes. B):lol:

I went to go drive the old 77 today and I heard some grinding and clunking in the front end. I was expecting a u joint or a wheel bearing but after pulling the wheel off my brake calliper just feel right out. It turns out that the retainer clip went missing and was only held on by the rim.  

EE3DFEA5-528A-4970-8711-B6210F60346B.jpeg

2F6420D6-F919-4A90-9274-8EFB97AB326A.jpeg

D7E005D3-7227-406E-8818-BB3787EF98E0.jpeg

2 hours ago, 426 pack said:

I went to go drive the old 77 today and I heard some grinding and clunking in the front end. I was expecting a u joint or a wheel bearing but after pulling the wheel off my brake calliper just feel right out. It turns out that the retainer clip went missing and was only held on by the rim. 

Better to find out on your drive, than when a pedestrian steps out in front or some fool does a u turn. You were pretty lucky there really given the circumstances

You are very lucky. I would suggest that you even go so far as to dismount the tire and have the wheel checked as to how much material was worn away in the damaged area. This may not be a problem now, but in the future if the wheel strength has been compromised it could prove to be just as dangerous as the caliper coming lose.  The caliper usually is held in place by several bolts holding it to the spindle and a retainer clip usually holds the brake pads in the caliper.  

Didn't realize just how intrusive the auto start/stop technology would be on my new vehicle. People say "you will get used to it" but 4 months later I'm still fighting it. If you actually pay attention to when it shuts off and when it doesn't you soon come to the realization that it just doesn't make any sense. I don't care how many parameters it measures in deciding when to stop, simply randomly guessing would be as effective.

1 hour ago, imarriedawitch said:

Didn't realize just how intrusive the auto start/stop technology would be on my new vehicle. People say "you will get used to it" but 4 months later I'm still fighting it. If you actually pay attention to when it shuts off and when it doesn't you soon come to the realization that it just doesn't make any sense. I don't care how many parameters it measures in deciding when to stop, simply randomly guessing would be as effective.

I got used to the auto start/stop tech in little time and like it a lot. Also like that I have twin turbos that "kick in" when you nail the pedal.

I have only driven a couple of cars for a short time with the stop/start option. If I was buying a new car I'd pay extra to not have it. Another thing I hate is the way the cylinder deactivation worked on the '10 Charger RT we traded off the first of the year. At part throttle on the freeway it would start to deactivate cylinders and it would sound like the car was farting and the throttle response was slowed. 

RAIN and more RAIN. I like rain as much as most people and I realize the importance of having rain so I'm normally good with it. Almost all day yesterday and now this morning it's raining in what might best be described as Biblical proportions and thunder and lighting that reminds me of an old black and white horror movie. This is the type of thunder that has the windows rattling and the house vibrating.  

Yep, we got rain here too this afternoon. Went downstairs and I could see water on the basement floor (In the words of that great philosopher Joan Rivers, "OH UCKKO!") .

Turned out the sump pump had a bad switch; luckily jiggling it got it restarted before any real damage was done - years ago I made sure all my models were at least 6" to a foot off the floor. Looks like the damage was limited to some empty cardboard boxes and the carpet around my workbench; the plumber replaced the switch and backflow unit and didn't charge too much.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On 8/25/2019 at 5:11 PM, imarriedawitch said:

Hertz trusted me with a brandy new Hyundai Velostar with less than a thousand miles on it.  It drove much like my Elantra, I felt at home since controls were the same.   BUT the thing that drove me wacky was the lane wander buzzer.  Man oh man! What a pain in the tail.  I found the shut off for it, but it was back on the next drive!  I only had the car three days, so I didn't go crazy trying to eradicate it.  That would keep me from buying a new one!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 8/25/2019 at 5:11 PM, imarriedawitch said:

Yup, there's that...AND...the manufacturers claim that starter life won't be affected, which is absolutely ridiculous. We're seeing them fail VERY early. Stands to reason that if the starter engages 10 to 50 times more frequently than it would on a normal vehicle, it would wear out sooner, right? But "reason" has fallen out of favor, now even within the engineering community. Stupid knee-jerk "environmentalism" and "safety" concerns that can be exploited by marketing morons who convince the clueless populace they're "necessary" now rule the show.

In spite of the fact these newer starters typically use different brush, commutator and bearing materials to try to fend off early failure, it's still STUPID.

And when the starter fails, it's MUCH more expensive than earlier designs to replace...not to mention the poor likelihood that cheaper offshore replacements will be made to 100% specification compliance (which is already a serious problem for the automotive repair industry, as anyone within it who has a brain and who's not lying will admit).

Then there's the heavier drain on the battery and charging system, with more expensive batteries failing earlier, and modified system architecture to support all the additional idiocy required to keep the wipers, heat, and AC functioning with the engine OFF...as well as restart the engine 10 to 50 times more frequently.

Several years ago, Mazda's Robert Davis suggested that the advantage might amount to 0.1 mpg on the EPA city cycle, an improvement that could be achieved at less cost using different technologies.

ONE TENTH of a mpg over an entire driving cycle...at the cost of idiotic levels of complexity and much higher repair costs.

But the manufacturers don't have to fix 'em once they're out of warranty, so they don't care.

And Mary Barra STILL makes $20+ MILLION dollars a year.

EDIT: Yes, there is some fuel savings for people who value their time on Earth so little that they're somehow content to sit in heavy commuter traffic, idling and creeping, or are too damm lazy to get out of their cars and walk into McD's.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy